Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Princepality of Ulek - Above or Below Ground?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Princepality of Ulek - Above or Below Ground?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:02 pm  
    Princepality of Ulek - Above or Below Ground?

The dwarves of the Princepality of Ulek, do they live primarily above ground or below ground, recognizing that the Princepality is not very mountainous or even hilly, except on the Pomarj border?

If they live above ground, when did that start?

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:10 pm  

First remember that those hills used to be the center of the Principality, not the eastern border.
    Beyond that, I figure they mostly live below ground like other Dwur. They have enough upland terrain there to support the majority of the Dwur population, with a minority having moved out to the lowlands and Gryrax along with the humans.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:04 pm  

In my memories about the terrible "Patriots of Ulek"-module (sorry, I absolutely hate it, I think this is the worst of all WoG-modules) dwarves live on the ground, but may be I'm wrong. Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:40 am  
    My question

Hello All,

I see no reason as to why the dwarves wouldn't live above ground. Sure, their homes may seem confining, but who's to say that there aren't any large cities above ground? I can see dwarves having a facade city to make non dwur folks feel better, but having a secret complex underground. You don't live for 200+ yrs without learning a few tricks. Wink

Dwarf From Nyrond
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:02 pm  

Eh, DwarffromNyrond (nomen est omen? Wink ), your arguments carry conviction. Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:30 am  

Doesn't even have to be secret. Mirabar in the Realms is such a city from what i read in the newest Drizzt books. It is ruled by a human marchion, and has an extensive undercity where most of the citiy's dwarves live.

Quote:
    Mirabar is a joining of two cities, really. The dwarves that work the mines live in a sort of city below the ground, supporting Mirabar and doing the work that brings wealth to the city. The surface city is populated mostly by humans, with a sprinkling of gnomes and elves. The races work together, but they do not always share common likes and dislikes.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:42 am  

Yeah like the previous poster said the answer is probably both. The like to build big castles over the best mines they can find because they trade with both humans and the underdark.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun May 01, 2005 12:15 pm  
    The trick is...

...To distinguish the Principality of Ulek from Irongate, which is already an above-ground community of mixed humans and dwarves.

Also, I propose that living underground would be a privilege for dwurkind, and any dwarves of means would do so. The surface would be reserved for impoverished or otherwise shunned dwarves (like a reverse prison? If you're bad, they set you loose?).

~Scott C.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun May 01, 2005 1:13 pm  

Thanks for the replies. Happy

Based on what I've heard here and read, I think I'm going to go with the idea that the dwarves chiefly live underground with one notable exception - Gryrax. In the capital, the dwarves would live above ground in the city, with wealthier dwarves have an underground "grotto" as part of their dwelling.

This leads me to ponder the architecture of Gryrax. I would like to imagine a blend of human and dwarven styles with perhaps some "other" influences, depending on the history of Gryrax.

Sun May 01, 2005 10:17 pm  

Hiya.

For me, I like to think of dwur as having both. The "above ground" buildings would be very solid, squat and "square/angular". This is where all the "commoner dwarves" would live/work. There would then be "upper levels" (maybe 1-2 levels 'deep') where the more important dwur would live/work...the general clergy, common soldiers, simple craftsmen, etc. Below that, you get the nobles and 'important dwur'...with the King/Lord living in the lowest/deepest area's.

Think of it as a sort of "social hierachy reflected in preferred living conditions". :)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: