JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - codex of greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    codex of greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:03 pm  
    codex of greyhawk

A number of years ago, the Codex of Greyhawk hosting was allowed to expire -- it wasn't being actively maintained anymore, as I had little time to devote to it, and my active participation in the GH online community waned with the introduction of Living Greyhawk.

Before taking it down, one of the co-hosts of the site told me he had arranged for the material to be archived at Canonfire. I've seen a couple of posts to that effect from abysslin and grodog, but I haven't ever seen the material appear.

I've also seen posts looking for this material. For those interested, the hosting company seems to have the site still floating around (years later)on an active server -- there is no URL, but rather an IP address of the server:

http://216.10.17.109/

enjoy

Kent Matthewson
    formerly of www.greyhawk-codex.com
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:31 pm  
    Thanks

Thanks,

I thought this site was gone forever... I may need help in tracking down some of your old contributors so that I can get permission to utilise their work.

Thanks again

Anced_Math
    Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:41 pm  

awesome discovery! now i feel all nostalgic Happy
    CF Admin

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:03 pm  
    Re: codex of greyhawk

pykm wrote:
    Before taking it down, one of the co-hosts of the site told me he had arranged for the material to be archived at Canonfire. I've seen a couple of posts to that effect from abysslin and grodog, but I haven't ever seen the material appear.

Yes, as I understand it, this is still a project that Gary does intend to tackle someday. No idea when, though.

Quote:
    I've also seen posts looking for this material. For those interested, the hosting company seems to have the site still floating around (years later)on an active server -- there is no URL, but rather an IP address of the server:

http://216.10.17.109/

Excellent Kent! Thanks for sharing :D

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:26 am  

Awesome find!

So who is going to back it all up? Lest any of this material be lost...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:35 am  

At least!!!...Codex of Greyhawk was one of my first info source when i beging to read about this campgain world. I really miss it.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:07 pm  
    Re: codex of greyhawk

grodog wrote:

Yes, as I understand it, this is still a project that Gary does intend to tackle someday. No idea when, though.

There's two main factors at play that have delayed getting this material live on CF, as far as I know from infrequent discussions about it with Gary.

1. To put it bluntly and right out in the open, money. CF is already bursting at the seams diskspace and bandwidth wise, and there's only so much of the burden we can rightfully ask Issak (of greyhawkonline.com) to share. CF needs a hosting upgrade before the nearly 600 megabytes of material from the Codex can be added, and that's, as I understand it, going to take some time to arrange.

2. As I understand it, and Gary or Kent can correct me if I'm mistaken, the material will probably not retain quite the same organizational structure it has on the Codex website, specifically the javascript based scrolling scroll menu. All the material will undergo reentry into a distinct category of pages on CF. This is an important benefit, and not just to make the pages look pretty like the rest of CF (though, IMO, there's absolutely nothing aesthetically wrong with the Codex site), it will also allow the Codex material to be fully integrated into CF's search engine, effectively combining the two sites into one giant searchable archive of material. The downside of this is that there is a ton of material on the Codex site, next to CF, it's the biggest GH website ever produced (yes, even counting WotC's!), and that means a lot of tedious copy/paste and html tweaking for some hapless CF admin(s).

Fear not though, the material hasn't been forgotten, and will be integrated eventually, allowing that Kent and his colleagues still wish that to happen. I'm glad to see the original resurface for the time being though, it's an excellent resource every GH fan should be able to peruse.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:08 pm  
    Codex of Greyhawk - back in action

All right!

This site was so awesome! I am glad for the chance to revisit it. Many great ideas came from perusing this site. If you haven't checked this site out, take the time and do so as soon as you can get a chance.

Thanks for making it available!
    O-D
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:11 am  

Amazing... This is a precious heritage...
    CF Admin

Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:29 am  

Quote:
    that means a lot of tedious copy/paste and html tweaking for some hapless CF admin(s).

Which is TONS of work. I remember the first few cracks at copying the GreyChronodex over. Ick!
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: