Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Help for Running Temple of Elemental Evil.. *spoiler**
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Help for Running Temple of Elemental Evil.. *spoiler**
    Novice

Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:13 am  
    Help for Running Temple of Elemental Evil.. *spoiler**

What's up fellow grehawkers? I am a long time player (since 81) who is just now DM'ing the temple of elemental evil in my home campaign.

I have a question: how do the varioous humanoids, and temple troops enter and leave the dungeon to go on raids/patrols? Do they simply use on of the smaller side doors in the upper temple? OR is there some secret passage I can't find on my maps?

I just know one of my players will suggest disguising themselves and slipping in with a patrol, or observing the temples traffic.

What did any of you guys/girls do when you ran the adventure?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:10 am  

1. The troops can come and go from the front/side upper temple exits, usually at night, and at arranged times so that the barred doors can be unbarred for returning patrols.

2. Patrols can exit from the northeast tower. While only somewhat less visible than exiting from the front/side exits of the upper temple, this is another option.

3. The most likely, and most often overlooked means of exiting the temple in complete secrecy is the exit on dungeon level 3, in area 335(this area can be reached by temple inhabitants via the trapdoor in area 313. The corridor in the northwest of area 335 that heads straight west off of the map links up with the hidden passage that begins beneath area 4 of "The Broken Tower". Once linking up with this tunnel, the passage continues and exits "deep in the woods north of the temple, towards the Velverdyva.", as per page 38 of ToEE. This exit is supposedly marked by an "X" on one of the larger maps, though it is not very clear- place the exit roughly where you want it to be.
    The tunnel exits in the shaft of a dry well near a secluded cottage and barn. This is all covered on P. 38. The directions as to how the tunnels are laid out are clear enough to figure out between looking at areas 313, 335, and section 4 of "The Broken Tower", which is the northeast tower on the temple grounds.

Hope that helps.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:44 am  

Thanks, man. I had alreaady considered these areas, but at least I know I am thinking along the same lines as others. I can't see the troops using the front doors, however, since they are barred, bound with chains, and have those Antipathy glyphs on them- so I'll have them use the smaller side doors on the upper temple.

I've got something in store for them now. Thanks for your help!

Good gaming
    Chris the Chaotic DM
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:49 am  
    It might also be worthwhile...

...to read Mikael Hamann's Greytalk posts on the Temple of Elemental Evil circa 1998, but they're devlishly hard for me to track down using the archive search engine. Searching by his name only turns up his latter postings from a 2nd e-mail address.

Anyway, there was discussion at the time that Mikael began about the seemingly impossible logistics of the temple dungeons, such as how much food and drink would need to be constantly moved into the dungeons to provide for all its inhabitants. All that talk of ToEE and realism lent added weight to when he ran the module for his gaming group, and a partial write-up of that is in the archives.

~Scott C.
    Novice

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:55 pm  

Thanks, Scott. I'll go over the archives and look out for that stuff.

Chris the Chaotic

Remember pillage, then burn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: