JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Death Knights of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Death Knights of Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:27 pm  
    The Death Knights of Greyhawk

I am a bit confused and hopefully some of more experienced GreyTalkers out there can help me. Were the Death Knights created by Demongorgon or some other Demon Lord or were they made from any fallen Paladin? If they were created by some other powerfull being is there anything written about it?

Thanks
    CF Admin

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:28 pm  

The original Fiend Folio in 1e mentioned that DKs were created by Demogorgon, though I had always ruled that they were created by Orcus in my own games.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:27 pm  

Numerous sources will now support Demogorgon as the creator of Death Knights, but I too think that it doesn't fit with his personality or background and it always made more sense for Orcus like grodog said, I mean Orcus is lord of the undead, comeon. Also in the Fiend folio it said ---maybe- Demo, not definitely. Heck Grazzt would've been cooler than demogorgon, who wrote that FF entry? bah.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:30 am  
    Re: The Death Knights of Greyhawk

Tgsantini wrote:
    I am a bit confused and hopefully some of more experienced GreyTalkers out there can help me. Were the Death Knights created by Demongorgon or some other Demon Lord or were they made from any fallen Paladin? If they were created by some other powerfull being is there anything written about it?

Gary Holian had a comprehensive two part article on the Death Knights in GH in the Living Greyhawk Journal (in either Dungeon or Fragon - can't recall which or which number off the top of my head).

The potted version is that Demogorgon corrupted about a dozen Knight Protectors of the Great Kingdom around 205 CY or so and turned them into Death Knights.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:31 am  
    1st

Demogorgon created the first Death Knight. But is he the only one who can create them. They may be his creations, but I can see them being a favorite of Orcus, and several others. What is required to create a Death Knight? A "Create Greater Undead" Spell on a recently deceased Blackguard or AntiPaladin?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:15 am  

From Demogorgon to Orcus ... the treachery ... there has to be a whole backstory on that.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:08 pm  

The Slayers Guide to Undead mentions an instance of an evil god (Tharizdun actually) getting the secret of undeath from Orcus to create the nightshades. Perhaps Demogorgon stole the secret of undeath to create his death knights.
    Scott
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:10 am  

that wacky Orcus, always leaving secrets lying about for anybody to steal.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:13 am  

Tharizdun didn't steal the secret, Orcus gave it to him. Considering the rivalry that exists, Orcus giving Demogorgon anything doesn't make sense.
    Scott
    CF Admin

Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:55 pm  
    Dragon 290-291

Woesinger wrote:
    Gary Holian had a comprehensive two part article on the Death Knights in GH in the Living Greyhawk Journal (in either Dungeon or Dragon - can't recall which or which number off the top of my head).

Holian's articles on the Death Knights are in Dragon 290 and Dragon 291 two of my favorite issues of Dragon, because of those two articles.

Dragon 290 relates the history of the early Knight Protectors, and how Kargoth came to become the first Death Knight. Great story. Dragon 291 lists the first sixteen or so Death Knights that fell under Kargoth's sway and entered into his grim pact with Demogorgon. Third edition statistics are included for many of the Death Knights.

I would have proposed Nerull as the patron of these powerful undead, as a mockery against the Oeridians that disposessed his Flan worshippers. But, Holian indicated that he wanted to stick with Demogorgon as a nod to those exciting 1st Edition days.

Anyway, great articles, and a must have for Greyhawkers. Happy gaming.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: