Duration: 1 turn + 1 rd./level
    Casting Time: 3
    Area of Effect: 1 creature
    Saving Throw: Neg.
    Subtlety: +3
    Knockdown: None
    Sensory: Medium visual
    Critical: None

Once employed by the mysterious ancient wizard known as the Arcanamach, the mage Sirellyn rediscovered this forgotten dweomer many centuries after its last use. The spell causes a number of shining metal bands to materialize out of the air, encircling and capturing a target of the caster’s choice. The victim is allowed a saving throw vs. spell to elude capture, with a –1 penalty per three caster levels (for example, –1 for a 4th to 6th level caster, –2 for a 7th to 9th level caster, –3 for a 10th to 12th level caster, and so on), since higher level casters tend to conjure more bands in a denser pattern. Any creature of less than size G (gargantuan) can be snared, but gargantuan monsters are simply too big to be restrained by the bands.

If the victim fails his saving throw vs. spell, he is caught and held immobile by the bands. He may not move his arms and legs, but he is still capable of speech and can employ psionic powers or use worn magical items, such as rings. Subjects with a Strength rating may attempt to burst the bands and free themselves with a bend bars/lift gates roll. If the subject does not have a strength rating, it may make a saving throw vs. petrification with a –4 penalty.

The spell requires three miniature bands of silver that are interlocked so that all three are connected.

Hmmm. I wonder if the prestige class got its name from this obscure reference. At any rate, a nice spell. Perfect for creating those Iron Bands of Bilarro.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:45 am  

Who or what is an Arcanamach?
    CF Admin

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:22 am  

I think he is linking the Suel Arcanamach PrC from the Complete Arcane hardback pgs. 63-5.

Brief Quote from CA about the class:

" In the days of the Suel Empire, the aracamachs were the guards for their archmage masters, serving the greatest Suel wizards with sword and spell. They were also assassins and spies trained to slay powerful wizards of rival families, as well as defend the wizards of their own families. In hundreds of secret duels of spell and steel, arcanamachs practiced their arts against others of their kind, learning their skill from hidden arcanamach academies."

It also goes on to say that the tradition survives in a rare set of tomes called the Grimoire Arcanamach and anyone who reads or studies from one who has read can become one. In the Prestige class it seems to be more of a spell dispelling assassin rather than the feel I got from the Players Option book. Now that I think on it, I seemed to recall the name Arcanamach but since I sold most of my Second Edition stuff the reference was lost on me. Good work Cebrion.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:40 pm  

Well this seems a good opportunity for someone to 'adopt' Sirellyn into GH doesn't it?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:44 pm  

Well, I was thinking that, as to the whole story behind the Arcanamach PrC, if a wizard were to fail a save against Bands of Syrellin, they would pretty much be screwed. Mainly because of the somatic component present in most spells, and because most wizards are pretty feeble and would have a snowballs chance in hell of making the bend bars/ lift gates roll, this would be true; In 1-2e.

Time for the Verbal only teleport spell, unless the Arcanamach also had a cleric buddy put a few silence spells in a ring of spell storing for them too. Shocked

Well, at least 3-3.5e has the Still Spell and Quiet Spell feats. Even still, the usefulness of the spell fits the Arcanamach PrC. It could either subdue a wizard or one of their nastier minions.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:10 pm  

Excerpted from "Player’s Options: Spells & Magic" (and now updated to 3.5e!)

Bands of Sirellyn
    Conjuration (Creation)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Area of Effect: One creature
    Duration: 10 rounds + 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

Once employed by the mysterious ancient wizard known as the Arcanamach, the mage Sirellyn rediscovered this forgotten dweomer many centuries after its last use. The spell causes a number of shining metal bands to materialize out of the air, encircling and capturing a target of the caster’s choice. The victim must make a Reflex saving throw to elude capture, with a –1 penalty per three caster levels (for example, –1 for a 4th to 6th level caster, –2 for a 7th to 9th level caster, –3 for a 10th to 12th level caster, and so on), as higher level casters conjure more bands in a denser pattern. Any creature of less than Gargantuan size can be snared, but Gargantuan monsters are simply too big to be restrained by the bands.

If the victim fails their Reflex saving throw, they are caught and held immobile by the bands. The target may not move their arms and legs, but are still capable of speech and can employ any powers not hindered by not being able to move, such as spell-like abilities, magical items, or psionics. Subjects with a Strength rating may attempt to burst the bands and free themselves by making a Strength check vs. a DC equal to 10 + the caster’s level. Subjects not having a Strength rating may make a Dexterity check instead.

The spell requires three miniature bands of silver that are interlocked so that all three are connected.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:17 pm  

Yeah I always figured Sirellyn was someone that could easily be from GH.

That said, you don't even want to think what a spellcaster with electromagnetic spells can do. I made one up once, framed after Magneto, named Magnus Alacaster. To say the least, he's lethal to most adventuring parties.

I may end up having to add an article on them both now. heh
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: