Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Difference between 1980 and 1983 WOG Setting product
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Difference between 1980 and 1983 WOG Setting product
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:59 pm  
    Difference between 1980 and 1983 WOG Setting product

I only have a copy of the 1980 edition and have never gotten a look at the 1983 edition of the setting (#1015). From what I understand that edition had a good bit more material than the 1980 edition (#9025), which had just the 32 page WOG Gazetteer and two fold-out maps. Could anyone briefly describe what extra material is in the 1983 edition? Are the nations and geographical locations in the gazetteer just more fleshed-out or is there far more that I'm missing?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:09 am  

Copied from my post in the Alignments of the Flanaess thread:

DMPrata wrote:
    A great deal of the '83 boxed set was not actually written by [Gary]. (The weather system, for example, was derived from a DRAGON® article written by a non-TSR staffer.) . . . The '83 boxed set was an expansion of the original '80 folio. I own both. While there is more information overall in the boxed set, very little from the folio was actually changed (aside from one or two runes . . . ). Virtually everything that was added to the boxed set was originally printed in DRAGON® (including Gary's write-ups of the gods of the Flanaess; Len's Suel pantheon, as well as his original alignment chart; the aforementioned weather system; etc.).

If you have access to the DRAGON® archive, you can find most of the supplemental information there.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:39 am  
    Also

For a comparison of the 1980 folio and the 1983 boxed set, go to the Greytalk Archives, search for the keyword "folio", and read the first two posts that come up from 2003 by Paul Stromberg and Allan Grohe.

~Scott C.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:28 pm  

Cool. Much thanks to both of you.
    CF Admin

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:12 pm  

If you search the GH forum over on Dragonsfoot, Paul Stormberg also has some additional info there that I haven't gotten around to adding to my site yet (with his permission, of course).

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:15 pm  

Having just re-read Paul's post on the subject, at the end he says

Quote:
    Now the original editorial MS. of the WoG '83 additions is another beast altogether. Many things were dropped from that beastie.

Paul---is the original ms. for either the folio or the WoG83 set around???
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: