JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Svartjet?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Svartjet?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:17 pm  
    Svartjet?

I found a reference to the Svartjet, an underground river, in the White Kingdom adventure in Dungeon. I thought it connected to Erelhei-Cinlu, but apparently that river is the "Pitchy Flow".

So, does the Svartjet appear anywhere else?

Thanks,
    Nell.
    CF Admin

Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:39 pm  

Here you go, Nathan:

Zavoda's index wrote:

Svartjet River (Underoerth)[RVR]
    D1-2 - 14,17
    D2 - 6
    D3 - 22
    DRG#298 - 71
    DUN#70 - 62
    GDQ - 62,64,88,125

Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:44 pm  

Somewhat OT, but I have a question about the Ecology of the True Ghoul companion article in Dragon.

What did people think of it? Was the creation of the True Ghouls usefully connected to the Flan god Nerull, or was the connection merely nominal?

I liked the adventure for the most part but was concerned about the apparently whole-cloth insertion of the True Ghouls.

It's interesting to note that 3e's Libris Mortis features Doresain as the King of Ghouls (once subservient to Orcus and then Yeenoghu) and a demi-god.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:51 pm  

mtg wrote:
    Somewhat OT, but I have a question about the Ecology of the True Ghoul companion article in Dragon.

What did people think of it? Was the creation of the True Ghouls usefully connected to the Flan god Nerull, or was the connection merely nominal?

I liked the adventure for the most part but was concerned about the apparently whole-cloth insertion of the True Ghouls.

It's interesting to note that 3e's Libris Mortis features Doresain as the King of Ghouls (once subservient to Orcus and then Yeenoghu) and a demi-god.

Not off topic, actually.
    I've been doing some Underdark research (big surprise), and am coming to the disturing conclusion that I might be missing that article (in issue #252, right?). If you have it, could you quickly summarize it for me? I'd like to keep the White Kingdom functioning in GH, but simultaneously assume the PCs successfully kicked butt in the adventure. Since that pretty much means Doresain got killed or sucked back through a portal, I need to figure out how to make more true ghouls (but not TOO many).

Cheers
    Nell.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:57 pm  

I can't decide if I should be embarrassed or annoyed. I've never owned GDQ. My info on the Underdark in that area came through other sources, like the Dragon article on Erelhei-Cinlu. But after Grodog's answer to my Svartjet question, I bought the pdf today.

ARGH!!

I NO LONGER feel guilty about making the Underdark "too big", and anyone that complains should note page 125 & 126, map 14, and the references to FOUR other "Vault of the Drow"-sized caverns (the mazeworks, the aboleth lake, the empty city, and Dra-Mur-Shou).

I'm very happy now. This works great for me.

Cheers
    Nell.
    Novice

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:34 am  

As an aside Svart[r] means Black in Old Norse. So the Svartjet means "black jet" in english. Which makes sense, since the Svartjet is a fast, dark river. Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:07 am  

Just a quick newbie question: I keep reading about the White Kingdom in a Dugneonn mag. Can you tell me the # of the issue and if it's so good as people claim :-) ?

Victor Caminha
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:55 pm  

Wykthor wrote:
    Just a quick newbie question: I keep reading about the White Kingdom in a Dugneonn mag. Can you tell me the # of the issue and if it's so good as people claim :-) ?

Sure. It's issue #70, the adventure was written by Wolfgang Baur, and it depends on what you want it for.

It's a "large-scale" sort of adventure - basically, a group of wizards mess up and summon a "true ghoul" (the aforementioned Doresain) who promptly kills them and turns them into true ghouls. They wipe out a small enclave of drow, then a city of duergar, then make an alliance with a city of cloakers. Their advance is temporarily slowed by an alliance of kuo-toa and mindflayers.

The PCs goal is to recruit & lead as many different factions as possible (surface worlders, svirneblin, duergar, drow, kuo-toa, illithids) against the ghouls of the White Kingdom,and knock out the gate that sustains them (making it impossible to make more true ghouls).

I like it because it outlines a fairly large chunk of the Underdark below the Yeomanry, and the idea of the White Kingdom is just pretty darned cool.

Cheers
    Nell.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:59 pm  

ToBardWard wrote:
    As an aside Svart[r] means Black in Old Norse. So the Svartjet means "black jet" in english. Which makes sense, since the Svartjet is a fast, dark river. Wink

Yes. "Jet" can also mean black (ie, "jet-black"), or it can mean a forceful stream of water or gas. Certainly the latter in this case, but the former is an interesting coincidence.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:04 pm  

Thank you Nellisir. I thought that Dungeon was released more recently, but I'll keep on eye on it :-)

Victor Caminha
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: