ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A new avenue to keep Greyhawk alive
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A new avenue to keep Greyhawk alive
    Novice

Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:29 pm  
    A new avenue to keep Greyhawk alive

Afternoon Adventures With Dungeons & Dragons FAQ

The Afternoon Adventure with DUNGEONS & DRAGONS program will include everything librarians need to start regular gaming programs in their library with the original pen-and-paper roleplaying game Dungeons & Dragons (D&D for short). Players assume the persona of fantasy characters and pursue magical adventures, confronting and solving problems using strategic thinking and teamwork. For three decades, D&D has appealed to an ever-increasing population of fans for its use of imagination and storytelling over competition. This free program will include a Dungeons & Dragons Basic Game (a $24.99 value), instructions for starting a D&D group in the library, a guide to using D&D as an introduction to library use, recommended reading lists, and other practical resources.

I’m a librarian, where do I go for more D&D books for my library?

For more D&D titles, as well as all other Wizards of the Coast fiction, please contact your book distributor.

I’m a librarian, how can I receive a kit?
    To receive an Afternoon Adventure kit for your library, please call 1-800-613-3791, or send an e-mail with your name, address, the library you’re from, and how you found out about the program to: libraries@wizards.com. One kit per library please and quantities are limited.

Where can I find a library that’s running the Afternoon Adventures program?
    Please contact your local library to find out if they are running the program, and if not, please have them contact us for a kit at: libraries@wizards.com.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:07 pm  
    Heh

True story -- in the 1980's, my public library had a D&D club, until the library received a letter from TSR asking them not to infringe on their name. We still had a D&D club for years after that, but couldn't call it a D&D club. How things change...

~Scott C.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:53 pm  

I've been wondering about all this stuff RE © for DnD in the previous decades. I don't believe the name "Dungeons and Dragons" can be copyrighted as titles are not subject to copyright protection. Perhaps a TM but certainly not copyright. Characters aren't really copy protected either. MTG can you answer that? I believe the courts have said that characters are not subject to copy protection (that doesn't mean they aren't TM though).

I think a lot is claimed to be copy protected but truly are not protected by the law. The only protection being that people don't want to fight it or are afraid to fight it.

I'm still learning this stuff.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:23 am  

Remember, TSR is the company that tried to trademark "Nazi".

(The second module for the Indiana Jones RPG.)
    Novice

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:10 am  

Armitage wrote:
    Remember, TSR is the company that tried to trademark "Nazi".

(The second module for the Indiana Jones RPG.)

Mwhahahahaha - That's priceless.

-
    CF Admin

Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:20 pm  

Hi folks. Nolandr asked about the copyrightability of characters.

Please note that while I am "almost an attorney," who will hopefully be licensed to practice law in California come November, the sentences below are not legal advice. Instead, they are general statements about the complex corpus of intellectual property law.

From what I've read in annotations to the U.S.C. (the record of U.S. federal laws), characters have been held to subject to copyright, e.g., Batman or Mickey Mouse. However, while I've studied copyright and other forms of intellectual property, I've not reviewed the particular line of cases that inscribed the copyright law regarding characters.

Yet, folks are correct that many companies assert rights far beyond the contemporary contours of copyright law. Indeed, some companies have seemingly even confused copyright and trademark law, according to some legal commentators.

While copyright law seems somewhat tangential to the original post, I wanted to address Nolandr's question.

MTG
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: