JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Suel Binders
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Suel Binders
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:19 pm  
    Suel Binders

Has anyone submitted stats for a "Suel Binder"? I am curious as to what they may look like actually. IMC I made them djinn summoning rings which summon a djinn of the strongest power 3/day for up to 2 hours at a time.

Tell me what you think they are? Thanks.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:26 pm  

I imagine you are right in that they are Rings but IMC I made them into variable sized orbs akin to the Suel Orbs of Dragonkind. One could be crystal ball sized while another is small enough to be an ear ring bauble. As for stats/effects, I can't quite say what they are supposed to do although I suspect it involves Wishes.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:34 am  

I happen to be running a campaign called the Binder Saga right now. I use GURPS rules so that stats are different, but the general idea is that the binders are precious gems of the appropriate type (e.g., Aquamarine for Olhydra etc.). The Binders themselves are only the gems which have the entrapped essences of the Elemental Princes within. However, through the centuries the binders have been incorporated as power sources into other magic items, such as the Horn of the Azure Sea (the focus of the current campaign), the Five Blades of Corrusk, and others. If a character holds an unincorperated binder, he or she gains some of the magical abilities of the elemental prince; powerful, but at a lower level than the actual elemental prince. The drawback is that the elemental prince really wants to escape and will occasionally succeed in summoning an elemental being of the appropriate type to try and take the binder from the character. Also, the longer the character holds the binder the more likely he or she is to acquire both positive and negative traits of the captured elemental. For example, one of the characters in a former campaign held and used the Olhydra binder for a time. After using some powerful magic from the binder, he picked up an extreme aversion to fire of any kind. He couldn't sit around the campfire with the rest of the party, and he couldn't carry a torch (he was an elf so he kept that one hidden for while, claiming it would affect his infravision). Finally, the 8 lesser binders are drawn toward the Great Binder, so the carrier tends to get drawn on adventures or misadventures closer to the great binder, and if they have a great will to resist going that way, then they lose that binder to someone heading that direction.

Just some ideas; hope it helps.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:30 am  
    What they look like...

After thinking about it I believe they may actually be quite more elaborate than a ring.

I am making a binder a bracer to be worn. They are forged out of brass and inlaid with runes etched in silver. The binders are long, running from the wrist along the forearm to end nearly overlapping the elbow.

I figure the Suel at that time who forged them would have made them much more elaborate than just a 'simple' ring.
    CF Admin

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:28 pm  

rumblebelly's campaign sounds great!

rumblebelly, where have you placed it? With my memory of AshtarX's old posts about the "Civilized Bakluna" (on GreyTalk), the campaign sounds very Baklunish.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:54 pm  

I envisioned the binders as plates of precious metals inset with gems, probably with a single larger gem in the center. I included one in my old Lo Nakar article; it held Her Ephemeral Highness, the Dancing Glory of the Djinn, the Princess Safana Sitt-Aadi, daughter of the Grand Caliph of the Djinn, the Commander of the Four Winds, the Prince of Birds, the Master of Air. Her imprisonment is the only thing that has kept the djinn from declaring war on the Suel for creating the binders. Unfortunately, she's as mad as a hatter nowadays.

Cheers
    Nell.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:30 pm  

mtg wrote:
    rumblebelly's campaign sounds great!

rumblebelly, where have you placed it? With my memory of AshtarX's old posts about the "Civilized Bakluna" (on GreyTalk), the campaign sounds very Baklunish.

Thanks!

Actually, the example from above was in the previous campaign I ran, which took the characters all the way from Geoff and Sterich, through Keoland to Greyhawk City and Down into the Pomarj to do battle with the Slave Lords. The campaign eneded and the next one began in 576 CY (continuing the history of the first campaign) on Lendore Isle with a severely altered version of The Secret of Bone Hill. Two of the PCs are elven pirates that used to serve with Captain Silverbrow whose famous treasure contains the Horn of the Azure Sea, which the temple of Wee Jas in Lo Reltarma believes to contain the Air Binder. The priestess of WEe Jas and the two elves are trying to get at Silverbrow's treasure for their own reasons. The party is currently side-tracked from retrieving the binder by thoughts of revenge against Telvar (the villain of Bone Hill) who is a very disgusting necromancer in my version of things, who also purports to be after the Binder. However, he isn't really after the binder, he could care less. He went to Hepmonaland to learn the secrets of Blood Magic for no less a patron than Ivid the Mad. So the party has been chasing him across the southern jungle, leaving the Horn in a bay in Turucambi for the time being.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: