JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Biography of Kelanen
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Biography of Kelanen
    Master Greytalker

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:56 pm  
    Biography of Kelanen

Can anyone direct me to biographic material of Kelanen? I have found nothing but unattributed works that have little depth. There is one article here at CF! but it isnt finished.

Thanks in advance.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:29 pm  

Main Sources:
    Dragon #71, Greyhawk's World (original source)
    Glossography of the World of Greyhawk, pp. 36-37
    Treasures of Greyhawk, On the town adventure, pp. 51-59
    Living Greyhawk LG_Dieties_v.2-0.pdf p. 91

Some Minor information Sources:
    Living Greyhawk Journal #3
    Living Greyhawk Scenario COR4-09, A Tiger in Alissha
    Best of Greyhawk IX (minor incident between Rudd and Kelanen)

I’m sure that there are other sources out there, but those are the ones I can think of right off.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:25 pm  

There's a short 2nd ed. AD&D write-up of his priesthood in Slavers, pp. 127-128, but the LG Deities 2.0 pdf is probably your best bet for D&D3.5...
    Kwint
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:40 am  

Excellent 3E conversion on dicefreaks: http://dicefreaks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=599

Where can I find Best of Greyhawk 9 and what whas that minor incident between Rudd and Kelanen ???
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:35 pm  

I'm not sure were you could the best of greyhawks anymore, but the minor incident is in the write-up on Rudd in no. 9.

Basically, it is a rumor that Rudd beat down Kelanen in a duel, supposedly started because he was *cough-cough* a bit tipsy and unseemingly forward towards her.

I'll have to dig out the issue and I'll check on the exact wording when I get home unless someone beats me.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:06 am  

There's an article on her ?!?! I must have it!

I found some Best of Greyhawk wiht google, but not No 9. Perhaps i have it somewhere on my HD at home though.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:08 pm  

Kelanen has/had a temple in Elred on the Wild Coast. I think this was mentioned in Fate of Istus, but I am not positive.

Also, what is this "Best of Greyhawk" that keeps being mentioned?

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:58 am  

I'll have ot look that up in FoI, thanks.

Best of Greyhawk is a compilation of material from the old AOL boards. With articles by Roger Moore, Erik Mona, QSamantha etc... Best of Greyhawk 1-5 are available in pdf form here on Canonfire. I havn't found the others yet.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:32 am  

The qoute about him and Rudd in Best of Greyhawk number IX is:

"Her successes drew the attention of many powerful and important people although perhaps the most important was Kelanen, Prince of Swords. It said Rudd challenged and defeated Kelanen in a dual when he made a rude sexual comment to her. But others say Rudd was drunk and Kelanen was distracted by her beauty (Rudd is by no means beautiful. . .average, maybe)."
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:54 am  

and further: Whatever truly happened is not important as the two ended up as fast friends and lovers. The decades followed and Rudd's popularity continued to grow. How exactly this happened is a mystery, but sometime about two centuries ago, Rudd ascended to deityhood.

Note that this contradicts the Article on her from Dragon 263, which says Rudd ascended ca. 1000 years ago and is a Bisselite, who frequented the Wild Coast.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:28 am  

Em - presumably that means she was from the part of the world now called Bissel - since the March wasn't there 1,000 years ago?
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:46 am  

Hmm... to quote the article:
    Rudd is a relatively young godess. She was born almost amillenium ago. (The year 601 CY will mark her 1,000th birthday.) It is said she was born in Bissel, but no one knows for sure. The godess wandered the world after that, getting into trouble and finding that she loved skilled games of chance.

Perhaps she was born in what is now called Bissel?

The article is in Dragon 265 btw. not 263 as i said above.

In this thread on WOTC we discussed the article vs. the LGG version of Rudd and the original author (Max_Writer) did even chime in.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:10 pm  

Dragon Annual #4 goes into slightly more detail.

Quote:

Rudd's Birthday
    Planting 10. This date celebrates the birthday of the demigoddess Rudd, who was reportedly born almost a millennium ago. The holiday is mainly celebrated in Bissel, where Rudd was presumedly born, and consists of many parties and feasts, all of them full of games of chance and skill.

Question: what was in Bissel a thousand years ago? Was that part of Vecna's kingdom? If not, I imagine it was the southern frontier of the Oerid migrants.

Thornward looks like a good spot, safely distant from Vecna's capital in Shiboleth, and an exciting place for Norebo to visit, full of new activity.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:43 pm  

Samwise's timeline indicates that Vecna ruled up to nearly the Fals Gap, and would continue to do so for another 25 years or so after Rudd's alleged birth.

So, assuming Rudd was born in what is now Thornward, Vecna would have been a threatening presence on the other side of the Barrier/Lorridge foothills throughout the half-goddess' childhood, an excellent place for her to make daring acts of mischief - and this explains her father Norebo's attraction to the area, too, as Vecna was threatening Norebo's Neheli worshippers nearby. She might even have been born in one of Vecna's slave camps, as an avatar of Norebo appeared to rescue some mixed Suel and Oerid prisoners.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: