ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Atlas
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Atlas
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:18 pm  
    Greyhawk Atlas

Hi folks.

Just wanted to drop a line that I am posting my Greyhawk Atlas in the forums at Harvester's Heroes. It's still under construction, but I have 3 out of 11 sections up online, with more to come as the weeks progress.

I would also like to offer a blanket "Thank You" to all the folks who have created maps for the Flanaess of various parts of it over the years. The Atlas is based on a lot of really creative fan input. Canonfire has been a great resource, as have various other sites on the Net. So, thanks everyone. Smile

If you want to check things out as they progress, go to:

www.harvertersheroes.com

Enter the forums and look for the Greyhawk Atlas area. The maps thumbnailed there are available for download from the site. You can also find the finalized and pdf-ed version of my 2E adventure QMG1 - Quest of the Mist Golem adventure for download, along with various other goodies.

Regards,

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:08 pm  

Braggi, you may want to correct the typo in your link. I believe what you intended was www.harvestersheroes.com.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:53 am  

Ung. Mee no speell. Me mutters werds funetikly.

Happy

Thanks for catching that DMPrata. Much obliged. I've been squinting at too darned much html lately.

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:22 pm  

Excellent start Braggi! I see Ull didn't make it into the Baklunish West though Confused Maybe it Paynims and the Dry Steppes will make one of te other sections? Keep up the good work.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:00 pm  

Thanks Mortellan.

Hey, here's an offer for you... If you'd like to see Ull mapped, then I'd be happy to use information from the Ull gazetteer you have here on CF as the basis for a map. The idea is to include as much fan-created stuff as possible, to compliment the canon items. For Ull, there is very little canon available.

Think on it a while, if you would. The basic idea would be: You name the places you want to see and where they are located. I cook up the geography, refer to your gazetteer, plot the locations and such and Greyhawk gets another territory detailed. I would also be happy to place links to your work on Canonfire from the article. Good exposure for you, for CF, for Harvesters and for the Atlas. Everybody wins that way.

While I'm at it, let me throw this open to everybody. Abyssalin, for instance, has a territory he cooked up for the Cruski called Vlakemph (sp?). If he wanted that included, I'd be only too happy to do so. The Thillonrian has a dearth of locations. The only reason it is not already in there is because I never got a reply from him when I asked for permission to use his stuff last year. No worries. It's his brainchild and I want to include stuff only if folks are willing.

I also want to make sure people get credit for their work. The articles all give sources and thanks wherever someone's work has been incorporated. For instance, Chatdemon gave me permission to use a bunch of his home-brew locations for the Sea Princes and they are in there with a recommendation that people come to CF to get the map he first put them on. Ditto with the amazing work Erik Anondson has done with his maps. Gary Holian helped me locate a long-vanished article on the Tiger Nomads that formed the basis of that map. Rob Vest gave me some ideas for adventure locations on one of the Ulek States and he is mentioned... well, you get the idea.

So, chew it over folks. I've already done my best to include lots of other fan stuff. The main idea is to fill out areas that LG and canon haven't touched much. Ull, the Thillonrian, the Dry Steppes, Blackmoor, Celene, the Wolf Nomads, the Ulek states, the northern Lendor Isles, the Horned Society, Bone March. Heck there's also tons of room in the Amedio and Hepmonaland too, just to name a few. If you have the locations, I've got the time and the willingness. I'll even cross-update maps if required, where territories overlap.

Also, if there are fan-created adventures you'd like to see plotted on these things, that's even easier then creating an entire map. Give me the adventure name, we cook up a code for it (or you can suggest one) and in it goes, including a link to an online version, if you have one you want folks to see. This way, we all get a piece of the Flanaess and we all get to share our creativity. And the Flanaess gets a little bigger and a little more personal for all of us. (My only request would be an electronic copy of the adventure, if one is available, since I collect them for use in my home campaign. Note, this would only apply to fan written adventures. Official items I buy through proper channels.) Finally, if your adventure goes on a detail map, it will also get plotted on the DM's master map, when it goes online. I'll be updating it as need arises.

Food for thought. Drop in to the Atlas forum at Harvesters and post a reply there if you are interested.

Thanks again, Mortellan and to everybody else who has come by to look around. You've certainly made my day!

Happy

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:35 pm  

I will certainly look into it then Braggi! Cool.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:15 pm  

Is one s'posed to be able to download them...I can't seem to read any of the text on the thumbnails Confused ...
    Kwint
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:16 pm  

Thanks Braggi, Good Job Happy

Just had a quick glance at some maps so far, but what jumped out at me on the pomarj map was the lack of Orc tribes.

I could not even find Mak's orc tribe...
    Given the interest of the pomarj several fine articles including an orc tribes breakdown have been written on canonfire.

Plz consider updating the map with these tribes, pomarj need more orc settlements and camps especially along the border of PoU. Don't know if you want to expand into PoU showing the post conquest reality if so pieces have been written on this site.

On the Rovers map, I noticed none of the settlements of Iuz found within WG5 Iuz the Evil?

Also well it is strictly fan based Return of the Ur-flan by GVD does provide a fresh and useable pov of the Ur-Flan, O’sagom’oor is placed within the barrens.

Excellent Work Braggi Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:43 pm  

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Kwint: If you can read the text on the thumbnails, then please send me the contact information for your eye doctor. (My eyes are giving me mucho trouble after all the squinting at computer screens over the years and I think they could use the boost.) If your eyes are just naturally gifted with keen vision, then I guess I'm out of luck.

Smile

Seriously though, yes, the full-sized version of the maps can be downloaded. I have posted instructions in the thread "Welcome to the Atlas - Please Post Here." The downloading instructions are also listed in the introduction to each of the Atlas entries. Drop over to the forum at Harvesters and let me know if I can be of further help.

Crag: You are very right, Mak's tribe is not listed. Here's a few reasons why this happened:

1. The maps are meant to reflect the Flanaess around the time of the World of Greyhawk Boxed set (and this time period also includes a number of the "classic" adventures such as the GDQ series, the Lendore Ilse series, Against the Cutl of the Reptile God and so forth). Mak's tribe was just one of many smaller humanoid groups before he rose to power in the Wars.

2. The main source for the humanoids was the Dragon Magazine article mentioned in the Pomarj Atlas entry. The article was written by a fan of the setting, long before second edition (and also Turosh Mak, sadly) had been thought of.

Would I consider updating this? Well, I'd like to see what could be done to blend the two. Since the Atlas is a form of "time travel", if you will, it can get really complex trying to show different eras all in one map. (See the entry on Geoff in the Atlas as one example). However, that siad, I could alsways try and cook up a version based on the second and third edition materail if the demand for it is there.

You are also absolutely correct about the Iuz settlements in the Rovers as well. The territory was pretty much the Rover's playground before the wars and that, again, is the time the map dates to. I also wanted to get the Old' One's fingers out of the pie a bit, since he pretty much dominates the north of the Flanaess from the Wars forward. Iuz is a great villain, but I also have other baddies very active in my personal campaign, which is what the Atlas was first designed to help me co-ordinate.

As I went along, I realized that I wanted to avoid "re-inventing the wheel" too much. "Iuz the Evil" has great maps of the area, but I was intrigued with what it might have looked like before his forces rolled in. Hope that helps. Read the first "Welcome to the Atlas" post for the general idea, if you haven't already.

Regarding - "Return of the Ur-Flan"... you have my attention. Exclamation Is this an article or an adventure or...? Regardless, if it is fan created, I'd love to include it, if the author is willing. (Not to mention, I'd love to read through it for my applications in own Greyhawk campaign down the road.)

Thanks very much for mentioning this. If you have any further information about it and how to contact the author, I'm all ears.

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:13 pm  

Thanks for the info on downloading that I was too lazy to figure out...Checked out the map of Perrenland and noticed that you named the Clatspur Range the Ullsprue Mountains...Best change that quick before Mortellan finds out Happy ...
    Kwint
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:48 am  

kwint wrote:
    Thanks for the info on downloading that I was too lazy to figure out...Checked out the map of Perrenland and noticed that you named the Clatspur Range the Ullsprue Mountains...Best change that quick before Mortellan finds out Happy ...
    Kwint

This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thumbs up! Thank you Kwint. You are right, I did label those mountains wrong. In a map set of this size, you can imagine that there may be details that have gone awry, so if anyone else finds anything, please tell me. Ego is not a consideration here. Accuracy is.

Smile

It would likely be best to post the corrections you find, along with any updates, over at Harvesters. that way I'll have averything I want in one place and won't have to hop sites to get may data. (I did a lot of that in getting the information in the first place over the last four or five years. Simpler this way and I'll be less likely to miss an important fix.) I'm going to start a sticky thread in the Atlas forum entitled "Corrections - Post Them Here". Please be sure to post your error corrections there.

Thanks again. And please, everyone, post any mistakes you find. "I cain't fix it if I don't know it's broke."

Last edited by Braggi on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:23 am  

Didn't see the time frame. Embarassed

Return of the Ur-Flan is a pair of articles and an adventure by GVD found right here on Canonfire.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=484

Enjoy...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:38 pm  

Crag:

No need for blushing, amigo. Those were good questions and I was happy to see them.

Thank you very much for the reference links! I'm can see Im going to be doing lots of reading to get caught up. Much obliged.

Happy

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:13 am  

Amazing material!

You should present it to a bigger audience - have you posted it at DF or ENWorld? - This is of amazing use even for all those *default setting* D&D n00bs. Smile

Congratulations! Harvesterheroes is getting a real top-site!

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:03 am  

Ivid, thank you very much for the compliment. I really hope the Atlas will be as useful as you say. I certainly hope it will help out a harried DM in planning a campaign.

Happy

No, I have not posted it to DF, since much of the material draws from second and third edition. I have no idea whether they would welcome all of the later information or not, so I figured that if the material was useful, folks would find out about it through various Greyhawk-specific sources.

As to ENworld, well I am not a member there (not out of disinterest or dislike, but simply because I've never been to the site before). I wouldn't know where to begin!

Once again, thanks very much for the thumbs up. Don't be afraid to post any correction material at Harvester's, if you happen to come across any.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:47 am  

Still, if you would promote this to a widder public, this could become one of the most popular projects of this year. Smile After all, one hasn't seen far too much from WoG since the Dungeon Maps and the Saltmarsh write-up in the DMG II... Anyway, remarkable job! :clap: Smile

Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:05 pm  

It is also on Canonfire.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=11

but not done so pimply

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:08 pm  

Aye, so it is. Thanks for the notifier Abysalin. Smile

Just so everyone understands, if folks here at CF want to update what I submitted about a year and a half ago with their own creations or additions, that's fine by me. However, I will keep Harvester's as the Atlas' home site for updates, since I have invested all the work in getting it up there.

I won't be submitting new maps and Atlas entries here. Two sites is just too much for a project of this size. I can't imagine having to do double map posts on a 56k modem, especially for the master maps. Shocked

I'd be 50 before I got half of it done. (Heck, it took me a week to get everything online to begin with. My fiance has forgotten what my face looks like, I've spent so much time uploading and editing.)
    Happy

Also, Abyss, the offer still stands for Valkemf, as mentioned in my eariler post. I'd love to run up some Thillonrian maps with that as one of the features. However, I won't include anything without your permission. You created that territory yourself and I respect your hard work in doing so. Let me know, one way or the other.

Regards,

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:32 pm  

A side point here, but related.

Speaking of old projects, I would also like to say that I am still okay with CF posting the 3.5E version of the module QMG1 (I believe you had decided to call it CFA1, if I remember correctly- it's been many moons since I received any correspondance about it.)

The final pdf of the 2E version is already online at Harvesters (and has been for quite a while now) and folks who have downloaded it seem to have enjoyed it, if the feedback is any indication. Hopefully the 3.5E version will be just as enjoyable for that rule set too.

I will be releasing any further installments of the series on Harvesters as well, just so that's clear too.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:06 pm  

Braggi wrote:
    Regarding - "Return of the Ur-Flan"... you have my attention. Exclamation Is this an article or an adventure or...? Regardless, if it is fan created, I'd love to include it, if the author is willing. (Not to mention, I'd love to read through it for my applications in own Greyhawk campaign down the road.)

Crag wrote:
    Return of the Ur-Flan is a pair of articles and an adventure by GVD found right here on Canonfire.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=484

Enjoy...

The author is willing. Happy Go for it!

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:21 pm  

Thanks very much GVD!

I'm looking forward to adding this and will also be inserting your link link in the Atlas entry when I get the update done. I'm off to add a note to that effect to the Rovers entry now.

(Also a side note: if anyone has been having problems getting at the maps, that Harvester's moved onto a new server over the weekend. There have been a number of changes and improvements added to the Atlas as well, although two maps are AWOL, namely Ket and the Yeomanry. I'll get those online once the snarls are untangled.)

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:28 am  

Braggi, I'm just starting up a Greyhawk campaign after many years of being just a player. Let me thank you for your work in this, it'll make my life far easier as I'll probably be using several computers at my gaming table to keep things coordinated and noted. I have a nice large 20" Monitor that I'll use to show the maps either to the party or for my own use at the gaming table.

Much thanks!

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:53 pm  

Ryan:

You are very welcome! :)

Sounds like you run your setup similar to mine - computer for reference. I'm delighted this will be of use to you. Please note that updates are ongoing... I have the first three Atlas entries (and the corresponding maps) where I want them and am gradually doing the rest as I go. Keep an eye on the "Corrections" and "Atlas Updates" threads to monitor the progress.

Errors you find and comments are welcome too. I've had several useful pieces of constructive criticism pointed out in the last month. More can only make the Atlas better and that's my goal.

I hope the Atlas gives you and your players tons of enjoyment and is useful for a long time to come.

Good luck on your campaign. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I'm always glad to help.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:59 pm  

A quick note for GVD here:

I have Revenge of the Ur-flan added to the "Adventures by Level" index and plotted on the Tenh source map. The map will be going up as I get to the Atlas section involved. I have also linked to your work from the Atlas update notes on Tenh and will include this when the entry is fully updated as well.

Many thanks for the help in getting it placed properly. :) Please look over the index entry to be certain I have all the facts correct. If you require any changes, I'm happy to make them.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: