Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Setting a day... a game day... Greyhawk Game Day!!!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Setting a day... a game day... Greyhawk Game Day!!!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:02 pm  
    Setting a day... a game day... Greyhawk Game Day!!!

Shocked
    What a Greyhawk Game Day! Why not?

Idea Idea Idea I suggest the second weekend Saturday of October, say.... 13 October? Being the first Greyhawk Game Day?

If we can collectively decide upon a date, then lets do it. Basically, you play a short game in the World of Greyhawk... maybe a small adventure chosen, something that everyone could play and chat about later on the day that is to be ..... Greyhawk Game Day!!! Happy Keep the spirit of the World of Greyhawk alive out there. Happy

I decided this was worthy enough of its own thread. Happy

Comments? Let talk. Wink

Spread the word!!!

Cheerz.

Patrick aka Ancient Gamer Cool .... a Greyhawkian in London.

</a>AncientGamer aka BusterBudd
    CF Admin

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:47 pm  
    13 October, huh?

Neon Con is going on in Las Vegas the weekend of October 12-14. So, I'll definitely be playing (Living) Greyhawk.

I was thinking something more structured, like the D&D Worldwide Gameday. I thought a Saturday a couple of weeks before Worldwide Gameday would be good. We could say something like, "Gear up for Worldwide D&D Gameday by storming Westkeep by playing in Worldwide Greyhawk Gameday!"

On that day, we offer a couple of Greyhawk adventures. Perhaps even offer an adventure certification that says "I played in Greyhawk on this day" or something to that effect, signed by the DM. If we could get retail stores and game clubs to host, it could be a great event.

The biggest question is what do we offer? Perhaps we can find authors to write something for all editions. Something short, that can be played in four to five hours.

What I propose does seem monumental. So, perhaps a day we just all play in the World of Greyhawk setting works well, too. In the meantime, I'll draft a short 3.5 adventure for this spring. Perhaps we can have a test run of something more organized.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    CF Admin

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:36 pm  
    Convention

What about providing Greyhawk fare for conventions? I was just at Mountain Con III this past weekend. There was a gentleman there that "demo-ed" his own d20 based game set in Mystara.

If a Worldwide Greyhawk Gameday does not work out. Perhaps we can provide something to gaming conventions.

Just another idea.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:36 pm  
    Re: 13 October, huh?

Greyson wrote:
    Neon Con is going on in Las Vegas the weekend of October 12-14. So, I'll definitely be playing (Living) Greyhawk.

First, I've heard of it. So I checked out the site: http://www.neoncon.com/

Makes me which I was not stuck in 1e. Sad

But the "Theater", celebrity D&D video is too funny. Laughing

So was, in this context, reading about RPGA: NYR7-M02 Entrell: The Sign of the Jackal (Living Greyhawk - D&D) ... "Gray Son guide me, Gray Son guide me" Wink

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:41 pm  

I thing if we are going to have a Greyhawk Day it should be a significant event. We would be the first game world to do it and I think we need to stand out in the gaming community.

Therefore I support the idea of creating a couple of adventures for each edition or what might be easier is having one or two adventures and conversion notes for previous editions of D&D.

I wouldn't limit myself to one adventure because I think that some players might get a kick out of playing more than one adventure if a couple of DMs are available.

I would opt for one mid level adventure on the lower end, say around 6-8th level and another one that is higher level, say 12-14th level, or somewhere's close to these level ranges.

I think one module should be completely new but include notable aspects or locations of Greyhawk people are going to recognize such as the Pomarj, Iuz, that sort of thing.

The other adenture I would tie in with a classic 1st edition module. I would prefer to make this adventure related to Gygax's work primarly to support Greyhawk in a better known way and I also think that for the 1st year we could at least acknowledge that he is the one that started it all. This wouldn't have to be mandatory but I think it would be a nice touch and hopefully Gygax would appreciate the thought.

This module should not be a rehash of an old module but an entirely new adventure based on one of the classics, such as newly discovered lower levels of adventure whatever.

I would also stagger the Greyhawk Day and Worldwide D&D Day more. If this really works people are going to come in and shop during Greyhawk Day and I really wouldn't want to make it seem as if we are trying to undermine Worldwide D&D Day by having the dates so close together. It might also cut into people's pocket book so that they would have to choose between one event or the other.

I think it can be advertised as a prelude to Worldwide D&D Day, but I would give 4-6 weeks at least between events.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:03 pm  
    Great Thoughts

EileenProphetofIstus wrote:
    I would also stagger the Greyhawk Day and Worldwide D&D Day more. If this really works people are going to come in and shop during Greyhawk Day and I really wouldn't want to make it seem as if we are trying to undermine Worldwide D&D Day by having the dates so close together.

Interesting that you say that. My initial thought was actually the summer time for a Worldwide Greyhawk Gameday. I was thinking like the third Saturday of June or July. I thought a summer time date would work well because kids are out of school. We always plan our local conventions around school here.

Point is, I do like a date further away from Wizards of the Coast's Worldwide D&D Gameday.

I also think that conversion notes are a great idea. Good call. I think two adventures is perfect, too. And, a nod to Mr. Gygax is certainly appropriate.

So far so good.

Don (Greyson)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:23 pm  

Awesome response, great ideas, but I've been info'd from a reliable source that such a event may incringe upon WotC lic of the GH ip. Mad

I believe some more research could make it come true, but there maybe a fine line is to be walked.

But i won't let these imperialistic #$%@&*$! get in my way.

Even so, I plan to make GH Day this 13 Oct for me, and celebrate it in my "own" special way.

Wink

Ancient Gamer Cool

Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:39 pm  

...further to my last, I really feel we can do this, all we have to do as already suggested, find a means of sharing a Gh game scenario compatible to all three editions, and every one plays the game or games on a prescribed day that we can call GH Game Day. A means of fielding our appreciation for Gh and keeping it alive...even if WotC dosen't...criminy!! they're closing out LGH and never really supported it, so why not. Mad

AG Cool

Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:46 pm  

....oh ya.... here's a thought.......

Who or how would it be decided on what Gh scenario would be run? ... if there was a dozen submissions...who would chose?

....or a site could be made or a pre-exsisting one could host the collection of these Gh scenarios and GH fans choose and play what they want....sending in comments on the adventures later on....games they palyed on GH Game Day!!!

Oh ya! Whose yer daddy!!! Laughing

AG Cool

CF Admin

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:49 pm  
    Re: Convention

Greyson wrote:
    What about providing Greyhawk fare for conventions?

If a Worldwide Greyhawk Gameday does not work out. Perhaps we can provide something to gaming conventions.

Just another idea.

And a good one. I think we should plan to splash GH all over GenCon next year, in defiance of the death of LG!

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:49 am  
    A Committee

BusterBudd wrote:
    Who or how would it be decided on what Gh scenario would be run? ... if there was a dozen submissions...who would chose? ...or a site could be made or a pre-exsisting one could host the collection of these Gh scenarios and GH fans choose and play what they want....sending in comments on the adventures later on....games they palyed on GH Game Day!!!

Perhaps we can form a committee. If we have a small group of volunteers, we can empanel them to recruit a couple of authors, plus a back up. Same committee could pester the recruited authors through the writing process. Then, we can distribute the content to participating venues, who should get it first. There is also the chore of getting the word out, and perhaps posting and maintaining an online list of hosts.

The gameday content can be either posted on Canonfire! for general use, or given to the folks at Oerth Journal to be added to an issue post gameday. Either way, everybody gets an opportunity to get the content.

Any of this sound workable? This is just a small summary of what is potentially a very big project.

grodog wrote:
    And a good one. I think we should plan to splash GH all over GenCon next year, in defiance of the death of LG!

I think we can do this, too. We might be able to plug the gameday while offering content at conventions, and vice versa. This does not have be a big effort at conventions. Just one to three slots, depending on the convention. Lots of possibilities.

Don (Greyson)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: