ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - City of Longspear
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    City of Longspear
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:22 am  
    City of Longspear

Hello All,

Well, my party has managed to lose five characters in less than three weeks. Shocked Sad Needless to say, they are leaving my homebrew city of Crescent in the southern borders of the Yeomanry and heading for the city of Longspear. I would like to know what your opinions, ideas and perspectives are concerning the city of Longspear. Is there any information about this city anywhere?

Thanks A Bunch!
    Dwarf from Nyrond
    Master Greytalker

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:25 pm  

As I have my books out...

LGG:
    "Longspear - pop: 7,700."
    "With foodstuffs and cloth the major industries of the nation, the town of Longspear on the eastern border forms the major trading centre for the country and the destination of most of its excess goods. Here foreign visotrs are usually welcomed, and much commerce is conducted, particularly with Keoland..."

So it's a trade town and a river crossing/port. Road trade to Keoland and river trade down the Javan from Sterich, Geoff and the Gran March and up from the Azure, as the Javan is navigable as far as Cryllor. I seem to recall a debate on this forum or elsewhere on whether it had a bridge over the Javan or whether there were ferries. Given the implied depth of the river (navigable by ocean-going craft), I'd favour ferries.

There'd also have to be a road winding west through the Little Hills to the heartlands of the Yeomanry beyond. That'd have to be well patrolled by the local clans and/or the military in Longspear.

Likely to to be fairly sweltery as it's sitting in the Javan Valley. Also fertile alluvial hinterlands. So lots of crops in the valley and perhaps even some wine ion the slopes of the Little Hills.

The Little Hills are described as "towering". "The hillmen and dwur of the hillsare renowned for their ferocity in battle and were employed as mercs in Keoland for centuries. Many fought in Sterich..."

So there might be a centre for mercenary hiring in Longspear too (perhaps that's where the name came from in part).

Here's LG Yeomanry's take on the town.
    http://www.yeomanry.org/longspear.html

Hope that's of help,

P.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: