JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Opinions on Deep Freeze
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Opinions on Deep Freeze
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:38 am  
    Opinions on Deep Freeze

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion on the "Deep Freeze" adventure from Dungeon 83 are. I personally love the idea of an insane asylum; especially in the Pale (I suspect that the theocrats may have a different definition of maddess than the rest of us).

However, the back-story seems almost irrevocably broken. An ancient sprawling empire of tentacled overlords wiped out by an ice-age caused by a comet impact seems to smack of too many cliches for my tastes. Then again, there are subtle clues (perhaps even throw-away references), that might allow us to tie the back-story into a more recognizable Greyhawk. Specifically, I'm referring to the faranth's ziggurat architecture, and tentacled nature perhaps indicating a connection to Tharizdun.

Any thoughts on fixing the back-story, or integrating it?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:51 am  

I just read through the backstory, and these are my immediate thoughts.

Maybe the backstory was written by one of the asylum's inmates, so little nuggets are true, but the bulk are the delusion's of a madman.

I always like a Tharizdun connection. There always seem to be a few mind-flayers involved. Maybe illithids were creating some sort of hybrid creature, using their own special abilities as a template.

The story reminds me of that Lovecraft story, the Rats in the Walls.

Don't know if any of this has been helpful.
    -marilor
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: