Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - 4e - thar she blows!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    4e - thar she blows!
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:56 am  
    4e - thar she blows!

First hard rumours of 4e from Eric Noah at http://enworld.org

The bit that piqued my interest was:

"-A plan to possibly sell off RPGs entirely? Check. (Apparently only miniatures and Magic are making any money for WotC)."

Do you think it's too early to start prodding Paizo to buy up the Greyhawk licence? Wink
    Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:12 am  

I highly doubt they sell off RPGs so much as just shelve them. Those plastic minis are a gold mine and the only way to keep that gravy train going is to exploit every nuance of D&D there is. It will be more difficult for them to do that if the various licenses are owned by other parties.

At any rate I am definitely not piqued by what might be a souless 4th edition that relies on minis more than minds. If Greyhawk can find a life of its own through Paizo or any other outlet, it's Wizard's loss.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:32 pm  

after seeing the 3rd edition i can careless about a 4th or 5th i'll stick with the 1st and mix a little 2nd edition as my opion is the 3rd edition killed the game altoghter Sad
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:39 pm  

hal wrote:
    after seeing the 3rd edition i can careless about a 4th or 5th i'll stick with the 1st and mix a little 2nd edition as my opion is the 3rd edition killed the game altoghter Sad

To paraphrase the NRA, 3rd edition didn't kill the game, the people who play 3rd edition killed the game.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:04 am  

Luddites who think nothing should ever change in the rules are the ones killing all gaming. Every time they run around ranting about anything that isn't what they want they drive away another potential gamer, and shut down another local gaming store.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:56 am  

A better way to say what I said above is that what most people (that I've seen) are doing with 3E is ruining the game. But that's just from my point of view as someone who enjoys a game slightly heavier on the roleplaying than the combat. For me 3E is the best edition so far simply because it does give you so much opportunity to customize your character as a way to enhance roleplaying. The problem for me is the focus most players (Speaking from my experience) seem to have on using these opportunities to optimize their characters almost purely for combat. IMO a good D&D game should be a blend of good storytelling, acting and combat. That balance seems to be missing from many of the 3E games I've experienced. But if that's what people want I can't really blame WotC for giving it to them.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:02 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    A better way to say what I said above is that what most people (that I've seen) are doing with 3E is ruining the game. But that's just from my point of view as someone who enjoys a game slightly heavier on the roleplaying than the combat. For me 3E is the best edition so far simply because it does give you so much opportunity to customize your character as a way to enhance roleplaying. The problem for me is the focus most players (Speaking from my experience) seem to have on using these opportunities to optimize their characters almost purely for combat. IMO a good D&D game should be a blend of good storytelling, acting and combat. That balance seems to be missing from many of the 3E games I've experienced. But if that's what people want I can't really blame WotC for giving it to them.

I agree entirely with the above. Well clarified.

I'd only add that 3e encourages this sort play I do not care for; it does not demand it.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:19 am  

mortellan wrote:
    I highly doubt they sell off RPGs so much as just shelve them. Those plastic minis are a gold mine and the only way to keep that gravy train going is to exploit every nuance of D&D there is. It will be more difficult for them to do that if the various licenses are owned by other parties.

At any rate I am definitely not piqued by what might be a souless 4th edition that relies on minis more than minds. If Greyhawk can find a life of its own through Paizo or any other outlet, it's Wizard's loss.

I am beside myself with anticipation for a 4e that -

1) Does not use GH as a "default" or "core;"
    2) Sunsets Living Greyhawk through attrition resulting intially from incompatabilities between 3e and 4e (as was the case with 2e to 3e and Living City); and
    3) Forces Paizo to conform to 4e rules with no core/default or LG to use as an excuse to sneak in Incognito-Hawk in Dragon and Dungeon.

Greyhawk will then be well and truly dead - again. The scene will then be set for GH to rise - again - from the dead, hopefully in a new "updated" setting.

The core/default GH, Paizo-Hawk and Living Greyhawk have been, at best, decidely mixed blessings for GH for, while they popularized Greyhawk, they did not well advance it as a setting much beyond what we got in the Living Greyhawk Gazateer - and the Living Greyhawk Gazateer spent as much time trying to repair the damage done to GH from FtA than charting a substantially new course. The 83 Boxed Set days are over. FtA was the light that failed. LGG ably tried to reconcile the two along with other treatments. The next iteration needs to move in new directions, with new villains and new lands, while revisiting old favorites made new in the context of the new directions/villains/lands - all the while being suitably "grey" or "balanced" as regards law/chaos/neutrality/good/evil.

The next death of Greyhawk is a necessary precursor. I can't hardly wait! Happy

YMMV

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:22 pm  

4e Rumors...Edition hate.

Not what I will tolerate on these forums guys. One, the "rumor" is pure speculation. Second, on the same site today there is several rebuttals from WotC and Ryan Dancey contridicting, so when a full 4th Edtion announcement is made, I'll entertain debate on that subject and it's relevance to Greyhawk's future. Until then leave the rumors to the professionals folks.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: