JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Classic Modules
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Classic Modules
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:59 pm  
    Classic Modules

Early in last night's chat we were discussing "Masque of Dreams," the adventure in Dungeon 142 based on Tom Moldvay's classic module, B4: The Lost City, which was set in Mystara. For those who haven't seen it "Masque" is a nice low-level adventure with some really good roleplaying opportunities. It could also serve as a nice jumping off point for updating B4 to 3e.
    Gary and I were talking about where to set it in GH and he suggested the Lost City of the Suel in the Suss. As he pointed out they're both lost cities, so 'natch.Smile
    Anyway, my question is what classic non-GH modules would you like to see similarly treated and/or be updated to 3e? If so where would you set them in GH and adapt them if needed?
    CF Admin

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:09 pm  

I've always had a soft spot for UK6 All That Glitters... as well as X4 and X5, and I've used them as part of the Sea of Dust (along with I9 Day of Al'Akbar, and the Dragon Magazine "Ruins of Andril" adventure). UK6 has always struck me as a good module to be used to represent the Suel magic/technologies, given the way the tunnels function in that adventure. IIRC, I've used CB1 and 2 also in this way, though far less frequently.

I've used DL1 and the Role Aids module Lichlords together to represent the Suss' lost city.

I've also transplanted N5 Under Illefarn directly into GH before, using it to help round out the environs around Greyhawk City. Various Lankhmar modules/scenarios have been lifted into GH too.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:47 pm  

Not an answer to the question, but a comment on the original idea.

I did place B4 in the Sea of Dust and it has worked out well in the campaign. It is one of the great early modules. Here on Canonfire you can find Chatdemon's articles about how Gorm, Usamagares, and Madrua can be incorporated in the Suel pantheon. It is a natural fit.

The PC who cleaned out the pyramid originally did so as a training op for her henchmen, but became more involved as the levels got deeper and more dangerous. She ended up squaring off against the priests of Zargon in the Undercity and it was a memorable showdown. She did much to help the Cyndiceans, once free of the Zargonite yoke, to drive off the hobgoblins and settle in to peace and prosperity. The Cyndiciceans still have rather strange ideas about the world and what all this means, and they regard the PC as a god, or at least an incarnation or avatar. They will form the core of her worshippers if she makes it to hero-diety status later.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:00 am  

Excellent! Thanks for the input guys.
    Grodog, UK6 is the only one in the UK series I don't own and I'm a fan of most of the stuff the UK team put out so I guess it's time I bought the PDF.
    Thanks for the lead on the articles by Chatdemon, Kirt. I'll be looking them up.
    My favorite has always been B10 - Night's Dark Terror, which is kind of a mini-adventure path from before there were adventure paths. IMC I'm setting it near Elredd (576 CY) but with a few changes you could place it almost anywhere in the Flanaess where you have goblins, mountains, hills and forest. I also replaced the Traldarians and Hutakaans in the valley with duergar and kobolds respectively.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:44 pm  

I don't know if anyone remembers the old Role Aids adventure Shipwrecker. But I could see it easily fitting on the coast of Ratik.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: