Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Was Nolzur from Blackmoor?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Was Nolzur from Blackmoor?
    GreySage

Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:45 pm  
    Was Nolzur from Blackmoor?

This is a conjecture based solely on the "paint connection." If the creator of Nolzur's marvelous pigments is the "paint guy" of the Flanaess, perhaps he also made the Paints of Blackmoor [Greyhawk Adventures, page 82], "enchanted when the city of Blackmoor was in full power."
    Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:41 pm  

Fabulous topic rasgon! I can point out or possibly hunt down some references to magic paint in GH lore or Dragon mags. I do know in the latest Age of Worms AP, Tenser has magic paint-ings that allow teleportation to the scenes on them. That then reminded me of an old magic painting article in Dragon. Not sure if there is any Nolzur connection there but the chances of there being multiple 'paint guys' is fairly good. it seems like a niche study of magic but enchanted artwork could be more common in ancient times than presently. I'm straining to remember but there might be magic paintings in GH Ruins as well. So, it would be cool if magic painting was a 'Blackmoor thing' or a 'Nolzur thing'. More to contemplate.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:42 pm  

Jim Lowder and Bruce Nesmith wrote a two-round tournament RPGA masters event some years back which included a place called Ghastria. Bruce wrote Round One - Jim did all the darklord & domain background and wrote Round Two. The entire adventure was called "Dance of the Dead." (This was where the Christie Golden novel got its name. Christie was stuck for a title; her book had nothing to do with Stezen, but Jim suggested the title he'd just used for the tourney.) The 2nd round, the one Jim wrote, had the PCs coming back as revenants to get Stezen after they'd been killed by a painting.

The following year Jim wrote a three round RPGA tourney: "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Necromancer." That's the one with the "journey through art."

Both were performed at GenCon; Jim ran a couple of groups through sections of each. Likely they ran elsewhere on the RPGA circuit, too.
    CF Admin

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:12 pm  

related to GH painters, Montand's Al-Yasin always interested me a lot http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=104, to the point that I have an article that I started quite some time ago, but never finished (of course), with further info/details on Al-Yasin (or a student of his, perhaps? Now I need to find my notes...).

Anyway, re: painters, I haven't read the GA entry for the paints of Blackmoor in years, and will have to do so upon my return from Boston. That said, "Nolzur" definitely has a Blackmoorian flair to it, name-wise, so making that connection feels good to me :D

Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:23 am  

ephealy wrote:
    Jim Lowder and Bruce Nesmith wrote a two-round tournament RPGA masters event some years back which included a place called Ghastria. Bruce wrote Round One - Jim did all the darklord & domain background and wrote Round Two. The entire adventure was called "Dance of the Dead." (This was where the Christie Golden novel got its name. Christie was stuck for a title; her book had nothing to do with Stezen, but Jim suggested the title he'd just used for the tourney.) The 2nd round, the one Jim wrote, had the PCs coming back as revenants to get Stezen after they'd been killed by a painting.

Most interesting. Do you have those tournaments? Is there any more info on Ghastria or the home world where it came from before entering Ravenloft? (Ghastria is a Ravenloft Island of the Mists now and Stezen D' Polarno it's darklord. He is loosely based on Dorian Grey)
    Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:43 am  

Semi-related to Greyhawk: Kuntz's 'Prisoners of the Maze' adventure (Necromancer Games) is loosely set in Rauxes with names like Ovar (Ivid) and Zayene (Xaene). It has a section regarding an art gallery of 39 magic paintings by a 'sorcerer/artist' named Pynyck.
    CF Admin

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:00 pm  

Tangentializing from M1 Prisoners of the Maze, Kuntz included a very different art gallery (but an art gallery nonetheless) in the latest installment of Maure Castle in Dungeon #139.

Historically-speaking, the first magical art gallery that he designed appeared in Castle Greyhawk's Bottle City level.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:34 pm  

Thanael wrote:
    Most interesting. Do you have those tournaments?

Somewhere. I'll try to find them.
    CF Admin

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:27 pm  

Cool, I'd be happy to add info on them to my GH tourneys page @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_tourneys.html too!

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:28 am  

grodog wrote:
    Cool, I'd be happy to add info on them to my GH tourneys page @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_tourneys.html too!

What do you need to know to add it to the list?

I don't have the DOCs here, but I've emailed Jim to see if I can get what you need for them.
    CF Admin

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:54 pm  

Details on Convention Name, Date, and Site the scenario premiered at, the Title and Year of Publication (if any), Author, and any cool details on background/etc. that GH fans would want to know.

If I can get copies/scans of the tourneys, I'm always happy to do that, too, though that's secondary to my interest in making the details/info available :D

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:48 pm  

Of minor note in relation to this thread is the NPC drow artist, Ool Eurts (get it?) featured in the "Denizens of Darkness" article in LGJ #16. Unfortunately he seems to have no magical artistic ability, although he does possess a set of Nolzur's marvelous pigments and has a group of doppelgangers who model for him and run interference on his hordes of adoring fans.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:51 am  

grodog wrote:
    Details on Convention Name, Date, and Site the scenario premiered at, the Title and Year of Publication (if any), Author, and any cool details on background/etc. that GH fans would want to know.

If I can get copies/scans of the tourneys, I'm always happy to do that, too, though that's secondary to my interest in making the details/info available :D

Grodog, both are Ravenloft modules, not Greyhawk.

According to this site http://www.orphyte.com/donaldjbingle/rpga.htm
    "Dance of the Dead" was played 1991 at RockCon. An "The Return of Stezen D'Polarno" 1992 at GenCon.

Check out the site Allan, this guy lists a lot of tournaments that he played (and mostly won) with dates and location. Unfortunately not the Treasures of the Dragon Queen. :-)
    CF Admin

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:35 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Of minor note in relation to this thread is the NPC drow artist, Ool Eurts (get it?) featured in the "Denizens of Darkness" article in LGJ #16. Unfortunately he seems to have no magical artistic ability, although he does possess a set of Nolzur's marvelous pigments and has a group of doppelgangers who model for him and run interference on his hordes of adoring fans.

And Ool Eurts was first mentioned in A4 :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: