JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Zahind and Dungeon Magazine
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Zahind and Dungeon Magazine
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri May 04, 2007 1:56 pm  
    Zahind and Dungeon Magazine

I’ve been playing around and researching Zahind and I was wondering if anyone know of any Dungeon adventures that could be useful to set there to help define that area. I will take a look at the Mud Sorcerer’s Tomb this weekend.

Below is a list of the early Dungeons from an index that had some information on the adventures. Most of the below are set what could be a tropical or arid setting and did not jump out as having cultural elements that would exclude them.

Does any one know if any of these, or any others would be good to incorporate? I just got pdf for the Star of Kohapur, which I believe is set in earth’s India.

I’m working on a map and want to use modules to fill in the detail. I will be using the one that shows the huge deserts, but I have come up with a few compromises. The first is that the coasts will include some smallish jungles. The second is that many of the deserts will not be so desert-ish.

Unless a reported reference in Dragon 241 that suggests that the Bakluni are from Zindia convinces me otherwise, I want to avoid that cultural connection.

On a related topic, any thoughts on this: “Rao” is a variant spelling of “Raj”.

http://www.patman.org/ADD/resources/dungeons.asp

Dungeon Mags:
    1- GUARDIANS OF THE TOMB
    6 and 7- TORTLES OF THE PURPLE SAGE- poor review, mystra
    17- PIT, THE
    31- TELAR IN NORBIA- egyptian
    33- THAT ISLAND CHARM
    34- ROGUE
    37- SERPENTS OF THE SANDS
    42- IZEK'S SLUMBER- gh
    47- SMOULDERING MANE
    48- ORACLE AT SUMBAR, THE- FR
    50- VAKA'S CURSE, THE
    50- BACK TO THE BEACH
    50- OBJECT OF DESIRE, THE - sultan
    50- FELKOVIC'S CAT*
    52- SPIRITS OF THE TEMPEST*
    56- LAND OF MEN WITH TAILS, THE- hepmonaland
    62- GRIMJAWS

notes of reasearch added after adventure

Last edited by Wolfsire on Sat May 05, 2007 10:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat May 05, 2007 9:37 pm  

86- Rana Mor is a good fit for western Zahind

Sun May 06, 2007 10:46 am  

The Elephant's Graveyard is another one
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon May 07, 2007 7:38 am  

Crunchwolf wrote:

I did not list it as I know it has been at leasted claimed, if not actually set in Hepmonaland according to this table: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6

But I have not read it. Does any one know if the text places it in Hep or if it has an indian feel?

Mud Sorcerer's Tomb looked pretty good for inclusion. A fair amount of unclaimed history. I only have the recend 3e remake. The cover of the Dun Mag is misleading. I saw nothing egyptian about the mod. The names are, IMO too generic fantasy to tied it down to any particular culture. The animal types from the animal headed creatures would seem to fit. The elephant headed humanoids, although likely different monsters, also appear in Rana Mor.

Mon May 07, 2007 5:41 pm  

Quote:
    Crunchwolf wrote:

I did not list it as I know it has been at leasted claimed, if not actually set in Hepmonaland according to this table: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6

It is set in Hepmonaland, but all you need is a good deal of wildlands where elephants live and it will fit.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue May 08, 2007 7:48 am  

Any thoughts on the module Swamplight?

It has a city named “Chala”, not bad for Zahind, but the people look and their gods are Egyptian. However, the main antagonists are Rakshasas. Some other monsters include lizard men and fog giants. It is set in a swamp.

I’m thinking it might be good to set in Changar (eastern Zahand), tweeking the ethnicity to Olman, proto-Olman or mixed-Olman to aid in the ethic transition. Ixchel has been referred to as a jaguar goddess. Animal headedness is very zindian/olman.

Wed May 09, 2007 8:13 am  

Found three more modules with an Indian feel X4, X5 and B7.

Fri May 11, 2007 2:54 pm  

Here is a draft map. It still needs a lot of work.

Tue May 15, 2007 7:45 am  

Got some older Dungeons coming for review, but here is a fairly complete tentative campaign arc. Likely, all mods will need some work to fit in, but not all that much except X10, but I think that will work once the nations are written up.

LVL Mlvl Modules Location

1-3 low B7, Rahasia E- Thikana
    6 (3-10) low D86, Rana Mor SW- Rangka Lost
    4 low BL2, Couatl S- Jahind Island
    6 med BL2, Yuan Ti S- Slith
    10 (??) med BL1, Guardian Naga S- Slith
    5 med BL2, Yeti N- Behow
    6 med BL2, Foo Lion N- Behow
    5 med BL2, Tengu N- Behow
    7 (??) med BL2, Movanic Deva N- Behow
    5-8 mid RPGA Star of Kolhapur C- Princely States
    6-9 mid X4, Master of the Desert Nomads W- Mulwar
    6-10 mid X5, Temple of Death W- Hule
    10-14 high X10, Red Arrow, Black Shield - Pan-Zahindia+
    14 high D138, Mud Sorcerer’s Tomb N- Chomur

Not sure if Mud works in the arc yet, but if not it might be a good way to follow X10 anyway. OK you've saved the world, now lets see how tough your characters really are!

Fri May 18, 2007 8:04 am  

Well, gonna snatch from the Realms too.

0-1 low D39 Below Vulture Point E- Changar

IMO, this module w/ some adjustments makes a great introduction into Zahindian mythology and the "garden desert" between Thakina and Changar.

For the Hindu background on a similar site see:

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2006/08/12/stories/2006081200160200.htm

Mon May 21, 2007 5:39 pm  

I can't really speak to the Dungeon adventures very much but I can more generally comment as Indian settings have been of interest to me.

Dragon Magazine ran a series of three articles in the 2E era about how to run an Indian setting. There was also an article on elephants generally an an ecology of the Rakshasa article that presented some variants and the god Ravanna. I'm sorry but I do not immediately recall the issue numbers.

In the d20/3X era there is the Mindshadows setting from Green Ronin that presents a psionic heavy pastiche of India - Naranjan - that you might find interesting. Goodman Games has produced The Complete Guide to Rakshasas. Perhaps, you might find these inspirational.

I know of no other "Indian" settings, per se, outside of Mystara/Hollow Earth.

Tue May 22, 2007 9:32 am  

Thanks. I think I'll pick up the dragons, or at least the 4 described by number in Star of Kolhapur. I'm winding down on collecting adventures. I'm just waiting for one more.

Wed May 30, 2007 9:26 am  

Quote:
    I know of no other "Indian" settings, per se, outside of Mystara/Hollow Earth.

I recently purchased the pdf Dungeons & Dragons Hollow World HWA3:
    Nightstorm PDF from Paizo. Unfortunately page 32 was missing. Paizo customer service responed to me:

Quote:
    Unfortunately, that PDF is a Wizards of the Coast product, and not easily altered. We are planning to fix this PDF in the future, but are unsure of when that process will begin. We apologize for any inconvenience, and ask you to please stay tuned to paizo.com for any updates!

Under these circumstances I am pretty sure that I would not violate Canonfire policy to ask: Can any one send me a copy of page 32? PDF, Fax, electronic picture?

If so, please pm me. Thanks.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: