JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Gods of Zahindia
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Gods of Zahindia
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri May 18, 2007 8:25 am  
    Gods of Zahindia

When I started, I was hoping to avoid this quagmire. But I think it has to be addressed. Here is one partial possible solution. Many of the Indian gods can be equated with GH gods. In fact, at least the Rana Mor just changes the name and appearance of the GH gods and drops them into a SE Asian setting. I have yet to incorporated the specifics of that module.

Here, the names are mostly modified alternative names of the Indian gods, but some will look familiar.

Greater or Lesser reflects only Zahindian status. I have tried to select only GH gods that have any business in Zahinda but I have not worked through that entirely. Any of the Flan gods would also have to be pre-Flan.

It looks like in ages past Osprem, Ulaa and Joramy might have started out as Suhfangi elemental spirits and moved their way from there.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Gods of Zahindia

Greater Gods

Beltari, The Black: Beltar- Suel Malice, Caverns C(N)E female, suel (Kali)
    Bori, The Wish Cow of the Rivers: Beory-Flannae (common) Oerth Mother, Nature, Rain N(g) female (Saraswati)
    Danta, The Broken Tooth: Saint Cuthbert- Common Wisdom, Dedication, Truth LG(N) male (Ganesa)

Cuthbert as a pink elephant just busts me up!

Kesava, The Blissful One: Phyton- Suel Beauty, Nature, Farming CG male (Krishna)
    Narayana, The Eternal: Lendor- Suel Time, Tedium, Law LN male (Vishnu)
    Sabi, The Dancing Lord: Cyndor- Common Time, Infinity LN male (Shiva)

Lesser Gods

Garbha, The Ball of Fire, Lesser God: Pholtus- Oeridian (common) Light, Law LG(N) male (Brahma)

Take that pale faces! Apparantly, in India no one actually worships Brahma, but he is important in cosmology and in justifying the rituals of the Brahmans.

Hanali, The Fragrant, Lesser God: Hanali Celanil- Elf Love, Romance CG female (Kama)
    Jaswi, The Enchantress, Lesser Goddess: Wee Jas- Suel Magic, Death LN(E) female (NA)
    Jodi, The Veiled Maharani, Lesser God: Johydee- Oeridian (common) Deception NG female
    Mamsapriya, The Peacemaker, Lesser God: Mayaheine- Common Protection, Justice, Valor LG female (Durga)
    Maruti, The Vanara, Lesser God: Zodal- Flannae (common, pre) Mercy, Hope, Benevolence N male (Hanuman): Mythili, The Lovely, Lesser God
    Myhriss- Common Love, Beauty NG female (Sita)
    Padma, The Iron Lotus, Lesser God: Stern Alia- Oeridian Culture, Law, Motherhood LN (LE) (Lakshmi)
    Rami, With the Eyes of Fire, Lesser God: Joramy- Common Fire, Volcanoes, Anger N(G) female (Agni)
    Rao, The Perfect Man, Lesser God: Rao- Flannae (common) Peace, Reason, Serenity LG male (Rama)
    Sakra, The Powerful, Lesser God: Heironeous- Oeridian (common) Honor, Valor LG male (Indra)
    Thirumuan, The Fearless, Lesser God: Trithereon- Common Freedom, Retribution CG male (Kartkeya/Murugan)
    Tosakan, The Roaring, Lesser God: Hextor- Oeridian (common) War, Discord LE male (Ravana)
    Uma, Of the Mountain, Lesser God: Ulaa - Common Hills, Mountains, Gemstones LG female (Parvati)
    Una, Rani of the Seas, Lesser Goddess: Osprem, Suel Sea Voyages, Ships, Sailors LN female (Matsu/Varuna)

Demigods

Da’oobi, May Blessing of Truth be on His Name, Demigod: Daoud- Baklunish Humility, Clarity, Prophet of Istus N (Dervish)
    Jata, The Soaring Vulture, (Jatayu)

Mon May 21, 2007 5:30 pm  
    Re: Gods of Zahindia

Wolfsire wrote:
    When I started, I was hoping to avoid this quagmire. But I think it has to be addressed. Here is one partial possible solution. Many of the Indian gods can be equated with GH gods.

No offense meant but I really don't care for this idea, equating "Indian gods" with GH gods. To my taste, it is an either/or proposition. Either use Indian mythological deities (see for example various deity and demigod books) or create a whole new set of deities for Zahindi gods.

It has been my thought, IMC, to marry a set of mythological deities variously "disguised" with a number of more abstract philosophies that function as religions. The mythological deities exist as "assumed" or "taken for granted" constants and most of the emphasis is on the philosophies.

Tue May 22, 2007 9:39 am  
    Re: Gods of Zahindia

GVDammerung wrote:
    No offense meant but I really don't care for this idea, equating "Indian gods" with GH gods. To my taste, it is an either/or proposition. Either use Indian mythological deities (see for example various deity and demigod books) or create a whole new set of deities for Zahindi gods.

None taken. I am not sure what I am going to do, or want to do, but in the modules there is stuff that has to be worked with.

GVDammerung wrote:
    It has been my thought, IMC, to marry a set of mythological deities variously "disguised" with a number of more abstract philosophies that function as religions. The mythological deities exist as "assumed" or "taken for granted" constants and most of the emphasis is on the philosophies.

That few over my head.

This is probably not what you were taling about but Hinduism has many traditions and much toleration. It can get pretty confusing so some overriding ideas could be useful.

Sun May 27, 2007 8:48 pm  

More Demigods

Hosadus, The Black Master

Vastar- Science

Elyas- Peace and Beauty, in the process of becomming a demi-god, former Suel Mage of Power worshipped at this time only by a few Apsara

Vorigan- The Spreader of Plagues, servant of Nhar Pull

The Guardian of the Gate- dormant half man half scorpion legacy of the torhoon, but worshipped for a while by the Desert Nomads of Mulwar

Lesser God

Nhar Phull, The Spider King, Nerull

Mon May 28, 2007 7:22 am  

What of the Tuov deities? Surely the analogs don't fit but it would be a chance to get them integrated further into the scheme of things. Otherwise, I like the alter-ego names of established deities, much like has been done in the Baklun lands occasionally. How about instead of so many upper echelon Zahindia gods, there are more of those cool demi-gods of yours as rising powers of the Zahind culture. These then can compete someday with the Flanaess' already bloated list of mainstream mortals-turned-immortal. I really like how the demi-gods have tangents on other GH areas. The prophet of istus, the torhoon legacy, the mage of power...etc. Any chance Nar Phull could be Incabulos instead (even though I see Ner-ull=Nar-phull)?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon May 28, 2007 1:04 pm  

I think looking into the Touv dieties is worth while, but according to the races I lined up in the other posts, they never made in to the area. That is not to say that some of the Touv gods are not older Torhoon gods or have migrated some with trade. I guess the races could be updated, but I do not think I want them in the area, except as visiting traders.

I started out the list of Lesser and Greater gods just for a baseline then added those in the modules. Most need not play an inportant part in the campaign. The demigods do.

Vashtar (Tvashtri) plays a critical role in RPGA Star of Kolhapur, although it is just about one of his experiments and IMO does not affect the larger campaign. Hosadus The Master is from X4, X5 and X10. He would be the world shaking power. Something along the lines of Iuz or Vecna. Elyas comes from B7. Not a lot of detail there, but he looks good for a good opposition to Hosadus, somewhat like a bodhisatva (sp). Jata could be his helper. Although it was not intended for it, D39 Below Vulture Point, offers an excellent opportunity to develop that cult.

The Guardian of the Gate is from X4. It is little more than a passing encounter, but reading the text, it looks well suited for torhoon and the characters are supposed to rewaken this demigod and then it essentially dissappears to continue guarding a gate to the abyss, hell, etc from under a pile of rubble from a collapsed temple. Much, much more can be done with that, and I think it should.

D86, Rana Mor, specifies that Nhar Pull is Narull, not that it could not be changed. However, to bring in Incabulos, it would be perfect sence to equate him with Vorigan. Note the god status, GG, LG, DG, is only relative to the area.

I had not though of Daoud/Da-oobi being a player, as I just plugged him in to accound for the Dervishes in X4, but they play a somewhat important prophetic role in the module so it is certainly open, although there are not many bakluni in the area. The whole X sequence involves many unnamed barely referenced gods and has at least a copule playing very important parts, assisting the rise and opposition to Hosadus.

One thing of note is that I read that there are a whole bunch of indian gods, with all kind of varying traditions and a lot of tolerance for them. That sounds almost as crazy as GH.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: