JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Questions...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Questions...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:01 am  
    Questions...

Has anyone every posted a complete campaign here on Canonfire? I see lots of references to homebrew GH campaigns but has anyone written one up, and put it out there for the community? I only ask this because I have a campaign written up centering on Istivin, utilizing the 3 adventures from Dungeon magazine. It starts characters at first level, and takes them to 20th. If there is section of Canonfire reserved for this please let me know and I'll arrange to submit the campaign. Of course I have no idea if this will infringe on any copyrights, or some other laws. If it does, just tell me, and I'll shut up and go back to lurking. Embarassed

Last edited by Temmogen on Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:22 am  

When I started a new campaign I wanted something very different than what I had done with 1st edition. I had two thoughts, first create a hero rather than just another character and second, take all of these modules I had acquired throughout the years and run an extended campaign linking them together with one or two overall threads.

Each player looked outside of the box (so to speak) with character creation. The mechanics stayed the same but the difference was in the character background and what purpose they would serve. Very extensive backgrounds were drawn up for each character which gave them an immediate purpose in the big picture of the Flanaess rather than just a small town local hero idea.

My character (yes I run a character as well as DM because I have a small group) was Eileen and she was to change the idea of how mortals worship in order to better please the gods as well as curb their judgments against the world. In her background several prophecies were given which have and are coming true in the campaign.

My spouse's character is the child of Acererak (before he became an undead) and therefore through magical means is hundreds of years old. By the way can anyone tell me how old Acererak is from the Tomb of Horrors? The character's objective is to someday extract revenge on him for all the terrible things he's done thus, someday we will go through the Return to the Tomb of Horrors. He also plays a bigger role in things tied into with Eileen.

My daughter's character was originally a 10th level paladin who died in the Tomb of Horrors (her first game), then was brought back as a 1st level character. She has 10 levels worth of background and reputation she needed to account for when determining her characters background.

All of this ties into the modules we go through. I look for threads which
    I can use (or I add one) in order to pursue the big picture of the campaign. Some of the modules we've played are Ghost Tower of Inverness, White Plume Mountain, Forge of Fury, Tomb of the Lizard King, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and now Ravenloft.

If anyone is interested in reading more about it I would be happy to post a more detailed version here on Canonfire, writing it in a manner that is more useable for a DM to incorporate with characters of their own rather than just hearing about the exploits of my group, something which would I expect isn't of much interest to others.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:26 am  

EileenProphetofIstus wrote:
    By the way can anyone tell me how old Acererak is from the Tomb of Horrors?

Well, it's not exactly canon, but I've seen sources that date Acererak's reign to the same period as that of Queen Ehlissa: roughly –2500–2000 CY.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:34 am  

I have often thought of doing the same thing, putting an entire campaign togeather and posting it. A section for this would be great.
    GreySage

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:35 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    Well, it's not exactly canon, but I've seen sources that date Acererak's reign to the same period as that of Queen Ehlissa: roughly –2500–2000 CY.

Oerth Journal #16 put his reign at about -1,025 CY (which is also where they put Queen Ehlissa). This would be before he became a lich.

For what it's worth, the Vecna: Hand of the Revenant comic book makes him an apprentice of Vecna and a contemporary of Kas, which would suggest a much later date, about 700 years later, but that comic isn't really canon either. I prefer the earlier date, personally; I think it'd be very difficult to fit Acererak just building his kingdom in the Vast Swamp at the same time all the Suel are migrating there. The story tying him in with Ehlissa is better.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:33 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    Oerth Journal #16 put his reign at about -1,025 CY (which is also where they put Queen Ehlissa). This would be before he became a lich.

For what it's worth, the Vecna: Hand of the Revenant comic book makes him an apprentice of Vecna and a contemporary of Kas, which would suggest a much later date, about 700 years later, but that comic isn't really canon either. I prefer the earlier date, personally; I think it'd be very difficult to fit Acererak just building his kingdom in the Vast Swamp at the same time all the Suel are migrating there. The story tying him in with Ehlissa is better.

Huh... I thought their reigns were older than that. Was there a date cited in the article that I missed?
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:08 pm  

Off the subject just a tad, but I had to note this:

rasgon wrote:
    Quote:
    For what it's worth, the Vecna: Hand of the Revenant comic book makes him an apprentice of Vecna...

I had always mentioned that to folks I ran through ToH, if they did any research. Far before I ever saw anything "official", I'd had Acererak as an apprentice of Vecna. Hmm...

As to the main thread, I've never noticed any compilations of people's WoG campaigns. Myself, I've run too many to count! I've used modules, Dungeon ma adventures and my own material (including not a few "seat-of-the-pants" nights!). There was the Temple of Elemental Evil (the classic megamodule), Raiders of Raitk (the first 6 3E modules put out by WotC), Greyhawk: Road to Ruin (various material, all pre-war WoG), Knights of the Sheldomar Valley (pre-war through post-war Keoland, Sterich and Geoff), Pawns of the Dragon Kings (along the Wild Coast the PCs were used by great dragons as proxies), and Fool's Crusade (the King of Furyondy sent the PCs to free Admundfort and then kill Iuz) That's all I can remember. Smile

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:27 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    Huh... I thought their reigns were older than that. Was there a date cited in the article that I missed?

It says 5000 years ago, then that little changed for 2000 years, that Acererak was leaving his "stench of evil" toward the end of that time, then 300 years after that Ehlissa's reign began...

That'd be 2700 years ago, wouldn't it? Around -2109 CY, Acererak had been around for at least 300 years already, and Ehlissa ruled for another 500 years after that. I wonder where I got the other dates? I was going by a timeline I made where I copypasted the information from OJ 16; I assumed I'd copypasted the dates as well. Apparently not.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: