Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - What in GH are you thankful for and want for Christmas?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    What in GH are you thankful for and want for Christmas?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:27 am  
    What in GH are you thankful for and want for Christmas?

Happy Holidays!

Well the holidays are here, it's Thanksgiving Day. I thought I would ask people what they are Thankful for in regards of Greyhawk and what Greyhawk goodies they would like for Christmas.

So what is it about Greyhawk that you are thankful about? What is it about this world that makes you choose it over others? What is it about Greyhawk that you love the most? Is there something special about this world that keeps you playing in it and not moving on to others? A twist on the idea, what is it about Canonfire that you WOULD like to be thankful for? In other words what can be done differently that would make you appreciate sites like this and Oerth Journal even more. Here's an opportunity to let people know what you would like to see differently so that you would be even more thankful that we have a web site like this to go to.

How about Christmas, what Greyhawk goodies, real or not do you want for Christmas. What's on your gift list (assuming you have been nice and not naughty)? What Greyhawk material would you like to see Santa's elves leave under the tree or in your stocking?

Thanksgiving
    Me, I'm thankful that Greyhawk has a pretty good fan base for being out of circulation for awhile. Until I got on the internet I was starting to feel like I was one of just a few people. It's easy to find a Greyhawk site, I find people on other forums who like it enough to specifically mention so. I am very thankful for Expedition book for Greyhawk and I sure hope I get to run it before the kid grows up. Always regretted not owning Greyhawk Ruins. I am thankful that now my daughter plays in Greyhawk rather than showing interest in some other far off place. I am thankful that Iuz didn't grab more land at the end of the Greyhawk Wars. I think he got enough (but not too much). I am thankful that most of the old classic modules are set in Greyhawk. Back in the day it felt like everything was pretty random but now it doesn't. Oh, and I am thankful for my most prized 3.5 Greyhawk product ever, the 4 poster map put out by Paizo. Always wanted one like that, now I have it. Oh, and I'm thankful I survived the Tomb of Horrors!

Thanksgiving with Canonfire
    If I had my way, I'd like to see an organized group of writers from the fan base working together to produce Greyhawk material which meshes in order to create a much larger product. Things that are less individual and more together. It seems like folks are trying to do this but I'd like to see the idea polished. Might be a dream but this is a Christmas wish list. Kinda like making it an unofficial non-profit business. More polls, when is the last time it was changed? Maybe take a poll on what kind of Greyhawk product we can make available here on Canonfire which requires the efforts of several and creates a larger product as mentioned above. I'd like to see a Rogues list somewhere on this site. A place where we could enter non generic heroes and villains from our worlds for other DMs to drop in. Looking for a captain of the guards for the Greyhawk militia, hey guess what, somebody created one. Hey who's Mordenkainen's current apprentice? Oh, here he is. How about a section telling us what other DMs are doing with the iconic villains of their world. Kinda a "In my World of Greyhawk Iggwilv is a primary villain and this is what she's been up to. Be a great place to put other house hold villains into as well. I'm thinking lengthy writeups (note brief paragraphs) on what they did in your world, who they manipulated, who helped them get the job done, that sort of thing.

Christmas List
    So what do I want to see on my Greyhawk Christmas list? I'm missing about 6 modules from the early 80's and the 90's, so getting a hold of them would be good. Other than that, I can't think of things I would like that I don't have. My list of things for Santa's elves to make however could go on forever.

An updated Gazetteer, highly detailed maps of the kingdoms. A hardcover players guide to Greyhawk and while we are at it, a comprehensive guide to the deities of Greyhawk. I'd like to see hardcover books detailing out the numerous villains and heroes of Greyhawk, such as Mordenkainen, Acererak, Iuz, and so on. Real solid information, not so much mystique and rumors. I'd like to see a good book on the giant excursions in the mountains to the west. Make it a boxed set in order to separate the modules from the history and goals of the giants. In other words blow this idea up tenfold, making it a key Greyhawk point of the world. Most of all, I'd like to see the Greyhawk line continue with the 3.5 but designed in a way that gave it more 1st edition feel. Less emphasis on new character classes and prestige classes. How about some Greyhawk miniatures? I have Mordenkainen but he's the only one I've seen ever made. I'd like to see some high quality D&D movies which recreate some of the original modules, say like Temple of Elemental Evil, Tomb of Horrors, that sort of thing.

Anyway, it's the holidays, so I thought I would make mention of that and offer ideas (good or bad) for folks to think about. Happy Holidays!

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:11 pm  
    Re: What in GH are you thankful for and want for Christmas?

EileenProphetofIstus wrote:
    Happy Holidays!

Well the holidays are here, it's Thanksgiving Day. I thought I would ask people what they are Thankful for in regards of Greyhawk and what Greyhawk goodies they would like for Christmas.

So what is it about Greyhawk that you are thankful about? What is it about this world that makes you choose it over others? What is it about Greyhawk that you love the most? Is there something special about this world that keeps you playing in it and not moving on to others? A twist on the idea, what is it about Canonfire that you WOULD like to be thankful for? In other words what can be done differently that would make you appreciate sites like this and Oerth Journal even more. . . . Happy Holidays!

Happy Turkey Day!

My responses:

Vis a vis Greyhawk, I'm thankful it will not be the default setting for 4e. So far, 4e has all the appeal of a train wreck, a sinus infection and a swarm of biting insects - combined. While some Greyhawk figures will be slopped in the 4e mud, I'm pleased the setting as a whole will be ignored by 4e.

Vis a vis Canonfire, it would be great to see more new articles, more often. With Greyhawk once again declared "dead," it again falls to the fans of the setting to keep the setting from being forgotten. If the fans don't again rally, Greyhawk will languish.

Vis a vis a Greyhawker's Christmas, I'd like Greyhawk to be declared 100% open content by Wotc. They could say it was because they know they are not going to be doing anything with the IP or that they believe the IP is all but worthless in their or anyone elses hands. I don't care why they might do it but a 100% open content Greyhawk would be a great Christmas gift for Greyhawk fans everywhere.

I hope everyine had a great Holiday today!

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:22 pm  

Cheers....Cheers...GVD, I second the open game content. That indeed would be a great Christmas present! Wonderful wish!

Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:06 pm  

It's quite simple:

I'm thankful WotC has taken their grubby mitts off of Greyhawk.

All I want for Christmas is for them to keep it that way.

I know, I know - wishful thinking. Please, somebody, convince me there's still a Santa Claus.
    CF Admin

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:42 pm  
    Re: What in GH are you thankful for and want for Christmas?

So what is it about Greyhawk that you are thankful about? What is it about this world that makes you choose it over others? What is it about Greyhawk that you love the most? Is there something special about this world that keeps you playing in it and not moving on to others? A twist on the idea, what is it about Canonfire that you WOULD like to be thankful for?

Thankful-wise, I'm always grateful for the material on Canonfire! that the fans have contributes, and for the strong dedication of the fanbase in general: it's the fans that make GH what it is, and who have kept the setting alive and vibrant over the years.

Canonfire!-wise, I'd like to be thankful for the Greytalk Archive and the Codex of Greyhawk being online again, and would happy to help with either if it would help make it so :D

How about Christmas, what Greyhawk goodies, real or not do you want for Christmas. What's on your gift list (assuming you have been nice and not naughty)? What Greyhawk material would you like to see Santa's elves leave under the tree or in your stocking?

Christmas came a little early for me, since I won the T2 playtest notes from Paul Stormberg's auction of Kevin Hendryx's RPG materials. I'm looking forward to checking those out for sure :D :D

Otherwise, until a copy of the original Castle Greyhawk levels fall into my hands, I'm basically pleased as punch already. Now, if I could only get the opportunity to DM our current group through my expanded version of S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth....

Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:31 am  

I give thanks for a good group of Greytalkers that have made the forums lively all year. I give thanks that Greyhawk is no longer the Core D&D world and that Living Greyhawk is being given a chance to go out with a 'series finale' rather than get dumped on the spot. And I'm thankful my Age of Worms campaign ended with a heroic climax rather than the anti-climatic cake walk I was afraid would happen.

My Christmas wish is for another year of good topics to satirize for my comic, and to meet a few Greytalkers at the next Gencon, and for the inspiration to get more articles submitted to GT.

Oh yes and the folk of Ull have been good, all they ask for is something small, like Ket.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:50 am  

Why Greyhawk?

It was the first setting I ran a campaign in and, to be overly simplistic, everything just fits. Like a great song, movie, or book, everything about the setting feels comfortable and right. Not too much of anything or too little. Not too overdeveloped by designers, but with plenty of quality fan produced supplemental material available. I've run other games (always loved the original Traveller, for many of the same reasons I like GH), and played in different D&D settings (FR, too cartoony; Dark Sun, great for a short time; Ravenloft, ok but one dimensional), but I always come back to GH and always will. It's home. My thanks for that

Like others, my wish is that Wotc will set GH free from its shackles and allow others free reign to develop it. I doubt my thanks will be needed.

For Christmas; I need nothing other than the ability to cast a Time Stop often enough so that I can actually game without all the other pressures of life intruding and disrupting one's best laid plans. True thanks to anyone who can solve that dilemma.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:34 am  

I am thankful just that Greyhawk exists; if not for WoG, I may not have even found this game! I love the balance of detail and open to DM's creativity. And I love the plots and people of Greyhawk.

For Canonfire! I'd like to see more fan articles, and the old Greytalk archives.

For Christmas, I'd love to find a new WoG book that expands the world, and a series of good, quality adventures. Set in any edition except 4th!

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:54 pm  

What I'm thankful for with GH? Well, it was the first actual setting I ran as a DM. (I'm sure many of you did the same) Even now, with my game set in a world I made myself, I try to keep some of the feel of the setting in there, as much as I can. I'm thankful that I had a setting like this to form the foundation of my own world setting.

I'm also thankful that, despite the efforts of SOME (I'm sure you know who I'm referring to), that there are others who strive to keep alive those things that made GH so great in the first place. Most of those people I found right here at Canonfire. I'm sure I'm not the first to say it, but it's the efforts of everyone who contributes here that makes Canonfire what it is.

As for what I'd like to see with GH, I think that would have to be more setting material to work with. Materials that are edition nonspecific, so everyone can make use of them, regardless of what edition they use. Also, materials that maintain and preserve the old school feel of the setting, as I mentioned above. (Which would mean nothing coming from the "SOME" I mentioned in the previous paragraph, so those of you hoping for new published materials, I'm sorry but I'm totally against you in that. Let's face it, they are not all that interested in keeping the feel of the setting; they just want the fast buck.)
    Master Greytalker

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:16 am  

Come on BlueWitch. Don't hold back. Name and shame them. We've already outed the "Some". It feels good to call them by their true name.

Then we can all make small dolls and stick pins in them. "Ha, Ha, Ha,". Laughing

(Crash. Falls off chair in public.) Embarassed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:58 am  

Thankful for Canonfire supporting the grittier Greyhawk setting since it should have something for everyone. Particularly like Furyondy, Greyhawk, Verbobonc and the Grand Duchy of Geoff.

Agree it would be great if Greyhawk became open game content but I'm not going to hold my breath since they just took Dragon and Dungeon magzines away from Paizo after stopping them from producing anymore official "Greyhawk" material.

I liked The Ruins of Greyhawk source book so I'm hoping it generated enough positive numbers with the marketing bean counters to see a little more support in the next year or two as 4E is unveiled since it seems like they have been releasing an average of 2 or more source books a month lately. An updated Greyhawk Campaign Setting Source book would be sweet even if it was 4E and a few supplements over the next year or to but I won't hold my breath for that either.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: