JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - My new Old-Greyhawk Campaign
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    My new Old-Greyhawk Campaign
    Novice

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:04 pm  
    My new Old-Greyhawk Campaign

So I've recently embarked upon an interesting challenge: An AD&D 1e Campaign set in Greyhawk CY560-570ish (1983 box style)!

Since all of my players have done many of the original modules, I decided to do a follow-up game based on the G series. Those modules will have taken place already in the past, and these guys will be revisiting the same locations with a new threat emerging there...

From what I've gathered, the original modules were set:

G1: Jotens
    G2: Crystalmists
    G3: Hellfurnaces

Anyone know of more specific placement? I guess it doesn't matter too much, but if it has been set somewhere I'd rather just use that. If not I'll figure out somewhere for them.

As I'm going for a bit meatier campaign than the original '3 dungeoncrawls tied together' sort of feel, I've been researching the areas around quite a bit - but some seem to have little information about them. Sterich for example. Can anyone point me towards good sources? I've got the original Folio, 1983 boxed set, LGG, etc..

I'm thinking of starting the campaign in Sterich, since it borders the Jotens. I wanted a patron there, someone of noble status (duke or something?) but not too highbrow. Is there anywhere that lists various regions of Sterich (fiefs, counties, etc - whatever it would be broken up into?)

I remember Dungeon did some Istivin issues, I'm planning on going back and reading those - maybe they have some good Sterich info. I think I'll tie in MerricB's Fhoi Myore article here on Canonfire as well. Also Headless from Dungeon 89 is set in Sterich I hear, so I'll check that out. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Later I'll be moving to Geoff and the Yeomanry/Sea Princes as other locations are explored.

For the first location (G1), I'm thinking of switching things up and having the Steading now occupied by Sterich forces (they have good halberdiers and medium cavalry I believe). The large halls might be useful to cavalrymen, and I'm thinking of having a force of Giants trying to retake it and the PCs and troops there having to stave them off - sorta reverse dungeon ;)

The meta-plot for this whole thing involves the PCs being descended from or related to the original adventuring party that took out the giants and drow. I'm thinking I'll insert a secondary plot of the Fhoi Myore or their agents trying to take over the drow-allied giants years ago. When the party's relatives stopped the giants, the Fhoi Myore recognized them as powerful potential tools, and tried to possess them near the end. They got a foothold in the bodies of some of them, but were forcibly outsted before full possession when the party traveled to the Demonweb Pits. This had the effect of tying the Fhoi Myore to the bloodlines of those they had possessed and now they need to get ahold of some of their descendants to fully enter Oerth before their own demiplane collapses permanently. Enter the PCs, an easily manipulated local lord, manufactured trouble in old dungeons, and action aplenty.

Questions, comments, and especially resources and suggestions all welcome. I'm hoping to make a kickass campaign for these guys.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:40 pm  
    Oh yes

Hello there. I have to say that this is something I have wanted to do for a long time. Others here probably can help you with exact placement, but I think that there are two different canon locations for the mods. One is the Queen of Spiders super module and the Liberation of Geoff. Each has a different placement of the mods, but both provide plenty of play. I have used the Liberation mod more because I generally play out of Gran March. However, the Sterich version is more popular I think, and also links up with the LGG and a mini adventure path in Dungeon.

Enjoy.
    Novice

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:50 pm  

Oh yeah, I do have the 'Liberation of Geoff' module/comp around here somewhere - that has some good area info in it I think.. I'll have to pull that one out also.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:32 am  

The Dungeon adventure trilogy set in Istivin in Sterich provides some great background and the first issue includes a write up of Istivin itself. The LG campaign also places Red Hand of Doom in western Sterich so if you want to go with LG canon it's worth picking this module up as well. It's also a great mini-campaign itself.

Sounds like a great campaign plan though so good luck with it!
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:29 pm  

Spacemonkey:

I can get you the official locations of each of the G series modules. I need to know which maps your using in order to be accurate.

1. Darlene maps from the 80's
    2. Living Greyhawk Gazetteer Maps
    3. Dungeon magazine maps (four poster map that goes together)

Post it and you will have your answer right away.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:20 pm  

I've got all of those maps, but owing to the type of campaign we're doing the Darlene maps would probably be most appropriate ;)
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:20 pm  

Spacemonkey:

According to the boxed set From the Ashes, Atlas of the Flanaess, page 72, the following hexes on the Darlene maps provide the locations of the G series modules:

G1: Steading of the Hill Giant, hex P5-129 in the Jotens
    G2: Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl, S5-134 in the Crystalmists
    G3: Hall of the Fire Giant King, M5-138, in the Hellfurnaces

I believe these will be the same from the original maps in the "83" set as well.

Hope this helps

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:24 pm  

Thank you Eileen, those will be most helpful. I checked quite a few sources, but I'm obviously basing my campaign before the Greyhawk Wars, so didn't really think to go through 'From the Ashes'. Maybe I was hasty, it seems ther e may be tidbits useful to me after all Happy
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: