JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Firearms on Oerth
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Firearms on Oerth
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:53 am  
    Firearms on Oerth

Do guns and gunpowder work on Oerth, or not? I understand early canon was that they did NOT, but the hero-deity Murylnd was able to use HIS just fine, and so apparently can his Paladins! What about Smokepowder? I always thought that Smokepowder was strictly a Torilian phenomenon, but I've heard claims that it's used on Oerth in place of gunpowder... What's the real deal on this??? Can characters other than Murylnd and his Paladins use guns? Who knows about the existance of these weapons?
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:24 pm  

As I've always understood it, no - guns and gunpowder do not work on Oerth. Murlynd was supposedly using "strange technological magic" (not a direct quote; quotes added only for emphasis) that allowed his sixguns to work. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't use such in your own campaign. IMC, dwarves have developed black powder, which is an alchemical material, and have begun work on things like cannons, but there are no sixguns, pistols, etc.; just some crude cannons.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:02 pm  

Smokepowder was the standard AD&D version of gunpowder, used in the Spelljammer and Forgotten Realms settings (and, I think, the Savage Coast setting for the Mystara campaign).

Spelljammer ruled that smokepowder worked everywhere in Greyspace except within Oerth's atmosphere, where it stopped functioning (probably due to the will of the gods).

Murlynd is an exception to this, and he is able to extend this exception to his followers.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:28 am  

The weird anti-gunpowder law is uneven however when you consider some of the other technological oddities of Oerth like the Barrier Peaks spaceship (may have crashed due to the same conditions but iirc the weapons within still work).
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:18 pm  

There are two articles, one each in Dungeon #83 & Dragon #277, that detail a d20 Modern Greyhawk setting (Greyhawk 2000). In this setting, firearms are in use, but they utilize a technology that involves transdimensional teleporter that does something like harness the sun's gravity to give the bullet its velocity.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:42 pm  

Robbastard wrote:
    There are two articles, one each in Dungeon #83 & Dragon #277, that detail a d20 Modern Greyhawk setting (Greyhawk 2000). In this setting, firearms are in use, but they utilize a technology that involves transdimensional teleporter that does something like harness the sun's gravity to give the bullet its velocity.

Although intriguing, that mechanic just seems to be a pretty long way to get having something burn rapidly in a confined space. The mechanics of gunpowder and explosives are pretty simple: the explosive burns rapidly, releasing gases, which expand. If the gases are well-contained, this produces the explosive effect, which can split rock or propel a bullet. Apparently, via Greyhawk 2000, no-one has though of burning anything in a tightly closed container. Laughing

Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:13 am  

<In this setting, firearms are in use, but they utilize a technology that involves transdimensional teleporter that does something like harness the sun's gravity to give the bullet its velocity.

Apparently, via Greyhawk 2000, no-one has though of burning anything in a tightly closed container.>

Besides, a simple telekinesis effect would be much more efficient and less destructive on the tightly closed container. And MUCH less deadly in its experimental phase.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:50 am  

I never understood why everyone had such fear with firearms in a world where there was magic that could destroy a city? I've never had problems with using firelock type arms. However when there is magic using them isn't all that efficient and making sure the powder is fire proof from enemy attacks becomes a huge deal.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:31 pm  

I personally don't like the idea of firearms or explosives within GH; I think the main concern is a desire to retain the "Sword and Sorcery" feel.

If eveyone is carrying six shooters and dynamite; it feels more western than medieval.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:37 pm  

Crag wrote:
    I personally don't like the idea of firearms or explosives within GH; I think the main concern is a desire to retain the "Sword and Sorcery" feel.

If eveyone is carrying six shooters and dynamite; it feels more western than medieval.

That's been the main thing with me and firearms in D&D (WoG or otherwise), too: its just not very Sword & Sorcery. I've included some very crude uses by the dwarves simply to make mining more feasible (no amount of skill can make up for explosives in granite!).

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:28 am  

Who needs skill when you have magic.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:10 am  

Thanael wrote:
    Who needs skill when you have magic.

I'm talking about dwarves here! Smile Still, in 3.x, dwarves can have magic now, too... Yeah, toss out the gunpowder.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:24 pm  

I'm a big renaissance fan so I don't really have a problem with it as far as feel goes. If you ever looked at the Warhammer Fantasy's version of a Fantasy renaissance Europe was an interesting idea if not implemented as well as I would like.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:59 pm  

My understanding was that gunpowder (transported from earth) works, but it has to be "specially dweomered" in order to do so, and it's still a little weaker than it is on earth.

Anyway, that's what I'm using; in a PCs case, Zagyg did it for a PC partly as a nod to Murlynd & Heironeous, and partly as a "why not?".

When in doubt, blame it on Zagyg! Razz
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: