Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Chainmail material ... is it canonical?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Chainmail material ... is it canonical?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:55 am  
    Chainmail material ... is it canonical?

The 3rd edition Chainmail minatures rules sets introduced new regions to Oerth, but then the set went bust and got replaced by the 3.5 Minatures Handbook... Are these new areas of Oerth considered canonical, or not?
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:20 pm  

I hope not. There were some intriguing aspects to that material, but I hope that it is not canon. It doesn't fit with a lot of other canon, nor my own campaign.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:12 pm  

It was considered canonical at the time (in 2001 or thereabouts) - at least, that's what Erik Mona told us at the time in chat. Since WotC isn't making any statements on what's canon and what's not anymore, and since Paizo no longer has any authority to canonize things, there's no one to say what's canon and what isn't.

I guess while the Living Greyhawk campaign is still going on (a few more months), the people in charge of that could venture an opinion and it'd be valid as far as Living Greyhawk is concerned, though it wouldn't be binding anywhere else.

It's part of the Greyhawk canon in the broad sense - but then, so are things like Fate of Istus and Castle Greyhawk which have been explicitly decanonized by the 1998 Greyhawk Team.

I don't think the Chainmail stuff has been referenced in anything else since then, so you can safely ignore it if you don't like it. The only thing I can think of that it affects is the question of what happened to House Kilsek of the Vault of the Drow. The Chainmail articles say they traveled through the planes and eventually ended up in Western Oerik, where the Chainmail setting takes place. It's official that they aren't in the Vault of the Drow anymore; since we don't have any other answers, I would assume they are indeed in Western Oerik.

Nobody with any authority has really ventured an opinion on the subject lately.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:36 pm  

Just for reference's sake, the various factions were Ahmut's Legion (undead and necromancers), Drazen's Horde (humanoids and wild creatures), House Kilsek (drow and underdark creatures), Mordengard (dwarves and elementals), Naresh (gnolls and fiendish creatures), Ravilla (elves and centaurs) and Thalos (humans, gnomes and constructs). There were a few non-aligned figures, too, AIR. The fluff on the factions was interesting, but like I said, just didn't mesh too well with other canonical references nor my own campaign.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:09 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    It's part of the Greyhawk canon in the broad sense - but then, so are things like Fate of Istus and Castle Greyhawk which have been explicitly decanonized by the 1998 Greyhawk Team.

FoI was not decanonized, only the last couple pages, which explained the monastic society of the Scarlet Brotherhood by saying that a spelljamming vessel from Kara-Tur crashed there years ago. Much of the rest of FoI is canon--the most notable example is the Red Death, which according to AoW, took place in 576 CY.

Child's Play, Puppets, and Gargoyle were decanonized (as well as CG) in tAB. However, a couple of the characters from Puppets, Magister Larissa Hunter of Dyvers & her husband, were left in canon.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:54 pm  

I really hate trying to explain the Brotherhood's martial arts as being taught to them by some sort of eastern styled culture. I have no problems with them having developed it on their own for the same reasons that it developed in our world. They needed a hidden form of combat to hide their designs.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 pm  

Robbastard wrote:
    ...FoI was not decanonized, only the last couple pages, which explained the monastic society of the Scarlet Brotherhood by saying that a spelljamming vessel from Kara-Tur crashed there years ago. Much of the rest of FoI is canon--the most notable example is the Red Death, which according to AoW, took place in 576 CY.

Child's Play, Puppets, and Gargoyle were decanonized (as well as CG) in tAB. However, a couple of the characters from Puppets, Magister Larissa Hunter of Dyvers & her husband, were left in canon.

-When I get to the year 580, I intend to use "Puppets"; they can meet Larissa & Rashaman when they were still a common adventurer. Of course, if they follow their usual pattern, they'll probably get them killed.

The only modifications would be:

1) They actaully start in Narwell (so some of the pilgrims and merchants might make it, as well). Of course, if the PCs follow their usual pattern, they'll probably get Larissa & Rashaman killed. Razz ;

2) I'll change the halflings to gnomes, since they're more common in that part of the Gnarley Forest.

...and I'll eventually use "Gargoyle" as is; the town will give the PCs a base, if we ever get around to 584...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: