Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Who's who at Emridy Meadows?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Who's who at Emridy Meadows?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 20, 2008 6:16 pm  
    Who's who at Emridy Meadows?

Does anyone know exactly who was at Emridy Meadows? Obviously Prince Thrommel. LGJ#0 sites Serten as being present. I read somewhere that Burne and Rufus played a role. One would assume that Otis was present even though LGJ#0 doesn't mention him, given his connections in the region. I also recall something about a Hrudek of Hommlet, who may have been a powerful druid or cleric of St. Cuthbert.

The intro to the ToEE game shows 8 wizards turning up but the Circle wasn't in existence yet, according to LGJ#0, and furthermore that article claims that none of the Citadel were present to aid their ally, Serten, on that fateful day.

As for the Temple forces- I can't recall reading anything about anyone who may have been there. Not really a big deal, since the bad guys were slaughtered on the day. The same game intro shows the (admittedly fun to watch) sequence of Hedrack summoning Zuggtmoy with the Orb of Golden Death but is this actually canon?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed May 21, 2008 1:20 pm  

No. It's just a video game. A lot of the game is very tightly based on the original adventure, bu the cut scenes are not by any means the way things happened(unless you want them to be). Zugtmoy was imprisoned by powerful mages AND clerics who fought at the battle, and not by the Circle of Eight(as the cut scene obviously suggests).

Fri May 23, 2008 4:57 am  

Ok, so no Co8 obviously. Can you think of anyone else? I seem to recall that Viscount Wilfrick was considered a hero of Emridy Meadows but other than he and those I mentioned previously, I'm drawing a blank...
    Master Greytalker

Sat May 24, 2008 6:43 am  

IIRC Ricard Damaris met Robilar at Emridy Meadows, according to Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun May 25, 2008 9:41 am  

Here's who I can think of, off the top of my head:

Burne
    Ricard Damaris
    Robilar
    Rufus
    Serten
    Thrommel
    Wilfrick
    Forum Moderator

Mon May 26, 2008 6:16 am  

Doesn't Robilar being there contradict what is written about Seten having no help from the Citadel of Eight? Was Robilar sneaking in among the evil Horde with Quij? ;)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 26, 2008 2:29 pm  

I believe Robilar could have been there after having left the Co8. I apologize in advance for digressing but this topic is near and dear. The LGJ#0 article doesn't directly say that Robilar had officially parted ways with the Citadel but I think it could be argued that it was implicit in the text.

Mordenkainen and Robilar's friendship appears to compel them in uncharacteristic ways, as evidenced by the former's guilty conscience in Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk. However, I think Robilar was too much of a solo rogue to act cohesively with a single group for an entire decade. Not only that, his own views and methods on how to get things done may have been disruptive to group harmony. In spite of their clearly warm friendship Mordenkainen seems to have regretted Robilar's inclusion in the Co8. LGJ#0 states the following on the subject:

Quote:
    Robilar never really quite bought into Mordenkainen's philosophy

and

Quote:
    ... he (Mordenkainen) had been foolish to assume that men like Robilar or Riggby would rally to his cause without subtly working against it for reasons personal, spiritual or political.

I think Robilar would have had a professional falling-out with the Citadel years before Emridy Meadows. Moreover, his passion for information-gathering and battle could well have led him towards Verbobonc just because it was the most noteworthy of conflicts at that time. Lastly, he doesn't appear to mind using disguise when he considers it to be warranted. Perhaps a warrior of his "saturnine" reputation may not have been welcome in Thrommel's army?

A couple of other salient points, Otto had joined the Circle of Eight just two years later but also spent time as a henchman of Robilar. In fact, I think Mordenkainen planted Otto in his old friend's company to spy on him and manipulate him towards the Archmage's goals. However I'm pretty sure he wasn't there when Robilar freed Iuz in 570 CY, just one year after Emridy Meadows. I think Otto was there when Robilar conducted his "bullish" raid on the Temple complex years later.

This leads me to believe that Robilar was too much of a free agent for Mordenkainen to control. He sought to guide his useful old friend through spies (and gifts of magic swords) because clearly telling him what to do wasn't going to get him anywhere. I can see a falling out over methods being inevitable somewhere between the founding of the Citadel in 559 CY and Emridy Meadows in 569 CY, even if the break did no lasting damage to Robilar and Mordenkainen's friendship. Therefore Robilar could have been at the battle, but acting on his own behalf and no longer as a member of the Citadel of Eight.
    Forum Moderator

Mon May 26, 2008 2:47 pm  

Speaking of leaving the Citadel, from the Greywiki:

Quote:
    Otis was recruited into the Citadel of Eight sometime after 561 CY, when he was still a young man. In time, he became frustrated with what he saw as his companions' preoccupation with dungeons, dragons, and treasure-hunting. He left the group and never returned to it, although he retained an association with Tenser [Dragon #37, p. 30].

In 579 CY, Otis was living incognito in Nulb as an ordinary blacksmith, secretly watching the Temple of Elemental Evil for suspicious activity. With his brother Elmo and the priestess Y'dey he joined a party of adventurers in order to put a stop to the Temple's second rising. He died during the adventure, and Y'dey wasn't able to get to his body in time to resurrect him [RttEE, p. 10].

This interests me in that Otis left the Citadel too (it doesn't say what year) yet he wasn't in the Battle, despite later being involved in the overwatch for the Temple's 2nd rising. Ideologically Otis was more likely to join Thrommel than Robilar. Ironically Robilar's type is the very reason why Otis quit! It's no wonder Serten got no backing from his comrades at Emridy.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:37 am  
    Melf the Elf?

I seem to recall a while back a thread where Rasgon stated or perhaps just speculated that Melf was at Emridy Meadows? Anyone recall? It might have been a few years ago now...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: