JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - black brotherhood
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    black brotherhood
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:09 am  
    black brotherhood

i was looking for some "barbarian enemies", but you know, internet is like that, so i came up reading about the scarlet brotherhhod, and about the black one.

the thing is , i cant find material about the black bhood. is it a 3x material?

i just know that they worship tharizdun, and they are kind of "enemy " to scarlet brotherhhod.

any thoughts?
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:25 am  

Only a few tidbits embedded elsewhere. Try searching the articles on Canonfire. Here's ojne quote I have paraphrased but I'm sorry I can't cite the source.

'It is a darkly amusing twist of irony that the Brotherhood is feared by its enemies to be worshipping what is, in fact its greatest threat. Apart from internal conflicts, the Brotherhood’s worst enemy is the Black Brotherhood, a secret sect within the organization devoted to destroying everything, and returning all to Tharizdun’s dark void. The Black Brotherhood’s members have no interest in a Suel empire; they pretend to be working for their red-robed masters, but in truth they are trying to subvert and sabotage the Scarlet Sign, to acquire its powers and resources for its own ends.'

I gave the BB links to the Yuan'ti city in the Hool Marshes with many purebloods (now snaketongue cultists) as double agents among their ranks.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:51 pm  

but would you say that the BB are pure suel blood?
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:25 pm  

Absolutely BB is a internal splinter sect within the SB - BB simply put has bought into the Tharzidun propaganda perpetrated by the SB establishment.

Remember the SB leadership outside of the tilvanot peninsula spread rumours about tharzidun worship as a means to intimidate and spread fear among their contacts and informants - it is harder to tell a tharzidun cultists to get lost; who knows what they are capable of. They were clever to spread whispers rather then state it as it spread fear and helped keep the curious away from the peninsula.

You must remember since the establishment of the SB; this tharzidun propaganda has been preached and taken outside by SB agents; some of the returning agents who retired to the peninsula have been immersed in this belief system a long time. Little wonder some began believing their own hype and actually started to believe it. Once you had a small devout cadre within and outside the penisula it became self-sustaining. The SB have created their own internal monster.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:58 am  

If you haven't already, you should check out "The Scarlet Brotherhood" sourcebook, as it mentions the Black Brotherhood a little bit. Here is also a link to another thread that discusses the Black Brotherhood:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2938&sid=cecaf8790babba4d86c00fdd519abf3d
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:19 pm  

Crag wrote:
    Absolutely BB is a internal splinter sect within the SB - BB simply put has bought into the Tharzidun propaganda perpetrated by the SB establishment.

Remember the SB leadership outside of the tilvanot peninsula spread rumours about tharzidun worship as a means to intimidate and spread fear among their contacts and informants - it is harder to tell a tharzidun cultists to get lost; who knows what they are capable of. They were clever to spread whispers rather then state it as it spread fear and helped keep the curious away from the peninsula.

You must remember since the establishment of the SB; this tharzidun propaganda has been preached and taken outside by SB agents; some of the returning agents who retired to the peninsula have been immersed in this belief system a long time. Little wonder some began believing their own hype and actually started to believe it. Once you had a small devout cadre within and outside the penisula it became self-sustaining. The SB have created their own internal monster.

The only thing that bothers me about the whole ''it's Brotherhood propaganda'' thing is- wouldn't telling people you worship Tharzizdun evoke a pretty unified response against you? I mean, no one wants big T to wake up, do they? That's assuming people know something about Tharizdun in the first place. If they don't, then spreading the rumors will more likely get a ''huh?'' reaction than a ''oooohhh, SB is so scary!''
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:23 am  

Good point Combat Medic Wink

I personally like to downplay the knowledge of Tharzidun rather have him as a half-remember cultural figure of dread. tSb sourcebook does give the impression that Tharizdun atleast the name itself is fairly well known.

Frankly I would allow The Lord of Entrophy to fade further in the mists but most of the black brotherhood information is gleamed from that sourcebook.
    GreySage

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:40 pm  

In Oerth Journal #1, page 5 we are told that Tilorop-b-Nan informed Arinanin-b-Korin (who became Oerth's first lich) that Arinanin's family worshiped Tharizdun, who was an orginal member of the Suel pantheon.

According to the Oerth Journal, this took place in -5026CY. From our timeline, (its now 591CY) that would be five thousand, six hundred years ago! Shocked The Suel have been "officially" worshiping Tharizdun for a very long time.

I hardly think that the Scarlet Brotherhood, the descendents of Zofar ad-Zol and the Zolites, would be overly concerned by the Black Brotherhood's worship of Tharizdun. Confused

This leaves the accusation of the Black Brotherhood's doing things that the rest of the Scarlet Brotherhood are unaware of -- uncertain, at best. The SB could very well be aware of the BB's true purposes and the BB could be completely unaware that the rest of the SB are on to them. Wink

Just my thoughts. Happy
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: