Canonfire :: View topic - random rant: lareth the beautiful and tharizdun
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    random rant: lareth the beautiful and tharizdun
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:15 am  
    random rant: lareth the beautiful and tharizdun

hi guys!

i just have to get this out of my chest:

i was writing something about Lareth to a d&d miniatures forum, lots of people have the Lareth miniature but have no idea who he was.

whats about all those changes? i know that you have to change atributes from 1ed to 3.5, but...c'mom!

1ed
    5th lvl cleric of loth
    st 18, int 9, wis.18, dx. 17, Con. 16, Ch. 18
    44 hp, AC -1,
    phylactery of action and as weapons a mace and a Staff of Striking.

3ed (as in Essence of Evil)
    Lareth the Beautiful CR 20
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 26, Cha 16
    hp 133 (20 HD)
    Male human cleric 15/hierophant 5
    AC 31, touch 12, flat-footed 30
    (+1 Dex, +13 armor, +6 shield, +1 deflection)
    Melee +3 profane morningstar +16/+11/+6 (1d8+3 plus 1d6 against living or 2d6 against good outsiders)
    Base Atk +13; Grp +13
    Atk Options Sudden Maximize, divine reach 60 ft., reroll any damage 1/day
    Special Actions Divine Metamagic (Transdimensional Spell), Embody Energy (cold), blast infidel (lawful good), rebuke undead 6/day (+5, 2d6+18, 15th)
    Combat Gear circlet of rapid castingMIC
    Possessions combat gear plus +5 full plate of light fortification, +4 animated greater blurringMIC heavy steel shield, +3 profaneMIC morningstar, ring of pro¬tection +1, cloak of Charisma +2, gauntlets of ogre power, periapt of Wisdom +6, vest of resistance +5MIC, cold iron unholy symbol of Tharizdun, reliquary for unholy aura (500 gp), true seeing ointment (250 gp), ruby dust (1,500 gp for forcecage)

so many changes, in my opinion!

and what about being a cleric of a "traped" god? he cheat on Loth? gained powers from her and was actualy not her cleric?

he got raised from the dead twice (one from T1, one from RttToEE)! why so? he is so big deal to hes god?

dont get me wrong, i love the NPC, but dont like who he was used after T1.

and thats my 2cents Happy
    Master Greytalker

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:23 am  

He started as a cleric of Lolth her favoured servant to bring her worship to the surface dwellers.

More recently this was discovered to be a ruse and he had unknowingly been a pawn of Tharizdun all along.

He was a fun npc to keep around actually. He's still alive, now level 8 in my campaign. He used to roam around with a bunch of doppelganger assassins each in the guise of pcs and npcs from our group's history and a pack of yeth hounds.

Since Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil gives him a key role to play I'm just building up to that now.

P.S. There is a 4e undead version of him hidden away in the DDI Compendium on the WotC website if you are a subscriber.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:36 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    He started as a cleric of Lolth her favoured servant to bring her worship to the surface dwellers.

More recently this was discovered to be a ruse and he had unknowingly been a pawn of Tharizdun all along.

He was a fun npc to keep around actually. He's still alive, now level 8 in my campaign. He used to roam around with a bunch of doppelganger assassins each in the guise of pcs and npcs from our group's history and a pack of yeth hounds.

Since Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil gives him a key role to play I'm just building up to that now.

P.S. There is a 4e undead version of him hidden away in the DDI Compendium on the WotC website if you are a subscriber.

oh jeees!

could you get me this picture, pleeeeease?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:15 pm  

He's a 6th level monster in 4e, considerably weaker than the 3e version, although I guess being undead could do that to you. Laughing
    Master Greytalker

Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:00 am  

rossik wrote:
    PaulN6 wrote:

oh jeees!

could you get me this picture, pleeeeease?

The most amusing doppelganger was that of Harold Babbage. He was one of the henchmen freed from petrification in the Caves of Chaos who was later captured and tortured by Lareth and had his tongue cut out. The doppelganger had the power to chant and enhance his allies in combat - a real slap in the face for poor old mute Harold. Still in 4e I gave Harold a powerful daily attack that only works against Lareth, so maybe he will get his revenge...
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:50 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    He's a 6th level monster in 4e, considerably weaker than the 3e version, although I guess being undead could do that to you. Laughing

i cant find the page...any help?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:57 am  

Put Lareth or Lolth into the search engine on the DDI compendium. Iuz brings up a few monters too.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:23 am  

You do have to be a DDI subscriber to get to it though. You can search for it but not access the actual data as part of the free trial. Sad
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:57 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    You do have to be a DDI subscriber to get to it though. You can search for it but not access the actual data as part of the free trial. Sad

yeah, i just figure it out :(

thanks anyway, guys
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: