Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - SKR Reminisces About Writing The Scarlet Brotherhood
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    SKR Reminisces About Writing The Scarlet Brotherhood
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:59 am  
    SKR Reminisces About Writing The Scarlet Brotherhood

Linky to his blog post here: Trivia & Anecdotes: The Scarlet Brotherhood

So, what I and others have long suspected, Hepmonaland was a reference to Erik Mona.

There is some interesting trivia about where various names in the book come from and SKR's mindset while writing about a group he didn't like.

Enjoy,

~~Saracenus
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:47 pm  
    Re: SKR Reminisces About Writing The Scarlet Brotherhood

Saracenus wrote:
    So, what I and others have long suspected, Hepmonaland was a reference to Erik Mona.

Ummm... no.

Sean was saying that he named a mythical explorer of his own creation (Eri Hep-Mona) after Erik Mona. Erik was six years old when the original Folio was published, which first gave some details about Hepmonaland.

Unless you were just joking and the smiley didn't come through?

Joe
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 pm  
    Re: SKR Reminisces About Writing The Scarlet Brotherhood

Thulcondar wrote:

Ummm... no.

Sean was saying that he named a mythical explorer of his own creation (Eri Hep-Mona) after Erik Mona. Erik was six years old when the original Folio was published, which first gave some details about Hepmonaland.

Unless you were just joking and the smiley didn't come through?

Joe

Nope, wasn't joking. My brain farted and I transposed Eri Hep-Mona and Hepmonaland. I would blame my upbringing, but I've had a good life and my parents raised me right.

~~Saracenus
    Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 pm  

Very interesting tidbits. I'm glad he wrote about that. I knew the Eri-Hep Mona thing, but judging from the illos and names of the SB leaders I could tell they were based on real people but never in a million years could I guess who they were. Except Pramas, he's noteworthy. And yeah that product(and the later LGG entries) did cement him as the go-to-God guy in Dragon. Good stuff.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:09 pm  

This was chatted about on GREYtalk a long while back. Yes, it's all horribly true. Happy

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:42 am  
    Not Enough GH research

Hi all -
    As I'm not a LJ user, and skr's disabled anonymous posting, my post goes here.
    This along with the Lyzandread series is what caused me to dislike skr. I felt that there was more than enough background material from previously published works that could have been utilized in this product. To me, as a Greyhawk fan, I felt betrayed at the lack of researched material and it appeared as if much of the information was either made up or modified from real world aspects. This posting only furthers that concern.
    However, as I've moved to Golarion, I feel that SKR's work as vastly improved and with a new creation much of that background material to research just isn't there. For his newer work on WoG 2.0 I applaud his better written and more rounded works.
    Theocrat of Pholtus
    Theocrat of Iomedae
    Be Well.
    Theocrat Issak

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:12 pm  
    Re: Not Enough GH research

TheocratIssak wrote:

However, as I've moved to Golarion, I feel that SKR's work as vastly improved and with a new creation much of that background material to research just isn't there.

Im not at all familiar with PF rpg or Golarion, and I've got a long history of criticizing Sean's work, but I have said in the past that his FR work was pretty good. So it just seems like he isn't cut out for GH.
    Site Theocrat

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:23 pm  
    Chat.DMtools.org

Hi all -
    On Tuesday's James Jacobs, Jason Bulhman (Ruins of Castle GH, previously posted under the moniker Iuz the Evil), Erik Mona, Wes Schnider and many others of Paizo chat - mostly about Pathfinder RPG and current and former adventure paths. However, I've asked James and Jason to ask Sean K. Reynolds to visit us - because I'd like to ask a few questions regarding the Golarion gods. But I also said that it would be interesting to know what some of his thoughts were regarding Greyhawk and his past works.
    I'm hoping he'll show up this week.
    8 PM PST - chat.dmtools.org - web based browser chat only.
    Hope to see some of you there. Lots of us GHers are joining the fray from Mortellan, Samwise and of course as I said, one of the founding online GHers Erik Mona.
    Be Well. Be Well Chatted.
    Theocrat Issak
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: