Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - What is your opinion about the culture of Nyrond?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    What is your opinion about the culture of Nyrond?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:54 pm  
    What is your opinion about the culture of Nyrond?

Hello to all, I am new here but I play Dungeon and Dragons since 1987. For all this years I played other campains and I start to play GH 2 years ago. As I observe Flanaess is like Europe and Minor Asia in dark ages, so the kingdoms and the empires are like the Europe and Minor Asia fot the cultular and political point of view. I think that the Nyrond kingdom is like Byzantium empire because the king use the title of August which is the same title for the king and emperor in Byzantine and the political style is like Byzantium, and it is also a Aerdy-Oeridian kingdom like the Greco-Roman kingdom of Byzantium. What is your opinion for this matter (my players gonna go to this kingdom soon so I have to work on it :) )

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:50 pm  

Works for me, I too have envisioned the Great Kingdom on the model of the Byzantium Empire with perhaps a touch of German - Herzog.

Heading west Nyrond and especially Furyondy become more of the Frankish (France) model with a touch of English - Furyondy kings must summon a conclave of representative to request additional monies for war. Which sound a lot like the english parliamentary system to me.

Guess; don't get me started I love this stuff Wink

In short as I see it:

Great Kingdom - Byzantium Empire with German influences
    Furyondy: France System
    Furyondy: English System

Just saying...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:59 pm  

Hi Crag,

I also imagine Furyondy like England, but in the Arthurian style, I imagine the knights of the Hart like the knights of the round table or something like that, especialy when the heir is lost the land soon will not have king the sadness and sorrow will come on this land and the knights or the pc (lol) must have a great quest to heal the land hehe!!!

So I have a good point of view for the Nyrond...thanks m8!!!

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:12 pm  

I haven't developed much in the east, so don't really have a feel for Nyrond.

My Furyondy-Veluna are modeled after England and Spain. Spain (Veluna) was always Catholic, but as England (Furyondy) vacillated between Catholic and Protestant it alternately saw Spain as ally and enemy. Some see union between the two powers (Queen Mary - King Phillip / Prince Thrommel Princess Jolene) as the best thing that could happen, some would prevent it at all costs.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.&nbsp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 pm  

I think the single biggest difference between the Flanaess and any part of medieval Christendom is the lack of any real equivalent to the Church on a supraregional scale. The religious landscape is very diffuse and diverse, and that must surely affect political structures, daily life, etc,

I do see elements of a 'literary Byzantium' in the Great Kingdom of Aerdy, though. The exaggerated idea of a decadent empire, once noble and now corrupt, seem to fit Aerdy rather well. I can see 'Byzantine' style court dress in Aerdy, that's for sure. Add to that plotting generals, cunning artificiers, deformed jesters, jaded aristocrats, foreign mercenaries, etc.

I can also see why one would look to the HRE for inspiration. 'Herzog' is quite Germannic, after all.

It makes sense for Nyrond to look somewhat 'Byzantine' if that's how your version of Aerdy looks.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:37 pm  

I think Nyrond should be populated by California surfers. With swords.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:43 pm  

Thank you all. Yea the northen great kingdom I imagine it like Holy Roman empire(German) with the Teutonic knights etc. The Nyrond is more 'Byzantine' nation.

CU all soon Happy
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: