JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Harry Potter and Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Harry Potter and Greyhawk
    Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:41 pm  
    Harry Potter and Greyhawk

This one was too good and lengthy to bury in my other thread. You all thought I was crazy combining these two things? You're only partly right! It can work, check it out.

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2011/07/harry-potter-greyhawk.html
    GreySage

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:27 am  

That sounds like a fun campaign idea. I'd also look at that other great literary wizard school, Unseen University from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. The recent novel Unseen Academicals dealt specifically with the wizards forming an intercollegiate soccer team, and that's particularly relevant because the wizards, not being particularly athletic for the most part, recruited characters from other character classes to join the team.

I don't have a copy of the book, but I've heard some good things about The Redhurst Academy of Magic, so it might be a great source of inspiration as well.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:35 pm  

Nice reccomendations, Rasgon. I myself just finished reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It deals with a pseudo-magical university as well.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:55 am  

I just read that, and I'd be reading Wise Man's Fear if I wasn't neck deep into A Dance With Dragons.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:39 pm  

A Dance with Dragons. Show off! Ugh, I need to go back and re-read that entire damned series. I watched the HBO series and could barely remember any of what happened (besides the end that is). And that was only the first book!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:23 am  

Mort, I already did go back and re-read the entire damned series. How's that for showin' off? Razz

I was going to wait to read ADWD when I got a copy from the library (#19 on a hold list for 10 copies), but my wife surprised me with one. I married very well.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:16 am  
    A Dance with Dragons

I've been trying to read it all weekend. I can't put it down. I'm over 500 pages in and that's only about halfway. That's a good thing. Excellent thing!

No, I'm not watching the show because as much as I want to see a live action version of it, I want to have my imagination's version of it play out first. I don't know if I'll be able to hold out on that idea until he's done writing the whole series if the next books take six years to print. Doh!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:07 am  

Hodor.
    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a wide-spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible. - Bertrand Russell
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:56 pm  
    HP and the College of Unusual Things

You know ... I gotta say, while I haven't ever read the HP books, it should be kind of self-evident that the students of the University would be young. Maybe not as young as in the first HP movie ... but then, I've never been very clear whether Hogwarts is High School or College or both.

At any rate, it seems really cool to have adventures based on the goings-on of a Magical University. There's undoubtedly a real audience for this. I mean, it's not exactly a new trope. Even Teenwolf and Superboy had the same idea of high-school supernatural antics. But, since Rowling's success, that has become a more and more poular theme. I also remember the Myth Adventure series by Robert Lynn Aspirin there was one of the books that included the characters dimension-hopping to a place where they had something like a football/quidditch/soccer game that Aahz and Skeeve won with magical antics.

Also interesting is the Unseen Ancademicals. I just happened to see it last night at Borders while I was shopping for the new A Dance with Dragons (there were only two left on the shelf!). I can't believe how popular it is. When I started reading it, no one knew what it was. But, now ... wow!
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:40 pm  

You went to Borders eh? Poor Borders.
    http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/2011/07/bye-bye-borders.html
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:46 pm  
    Passing of an era

mortellan wrote:
    You went to Borders eh? Poor Borders.

Yep ... 'tis a sad thing. I was in Dallas last month visiting (where I am going to be moving on the 30th) and they'd already closed stores there. I was pleased to find that I could still go here in Houston.
    It's sort of the passing of an era. I still remember the late, lamented Waldenbooks and B. Dalton booksellers. I loved those palces. Ten years ago, it was still a huge deal to be able to go into a bookstore, sit down in a bug comfy chair and read while having a nice cup of coffee. ::sigh:: It's sad, to be sure.

As Theocrat might say: Be well. Be well read.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:30 pm  
    Redhurst Academy of magic

rasgon wrote:
    ... I don't have a copy of the book, but I've heard some good things aboutThe Redhurst Academy of Magic, so it might be a great source of inspiration as well.

Actually, as it turns out, it's a rather delightful little book, and it absolutely is a great resource for this college-kids style of game. It's very similar to an HP-but-in-college type of theme. I read a review of it at RPG.net, and it sounded so good that I went and got a copy of it tonight. Difficult in the getting, but, it's out there. Looks kind of worn, but, a grade "A" book, if you ask me.
    The only thing that I was kind of iffy about is that it does the magical-travel thing. You know, the mystical palace/inn/school/hidden vault/bazaar that travels the multi-verse showing up at different places all the time. But, if one wanted to use it for adventures at the College of Wizardry, it's easily enough adapted by saying it stays put. or that it's stationary and doors open to it from other places in the Student Center, or the Registrar's Office or something, still allowing a sedentary school, but allowing for other planes/places to be involved.

Anyway ... thanks, Rasgon, for the tip on this one. :)
    GreySage

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:40 am  
    Re: HP and the College of Unusual Things

Icarus wrote:
    You know ... I gotta say, while I haven't ever read the HP books, it should be kind of self-evident that the students of the University would be young. Maybe not as young as in the first HP movie ... but then, I've never been very clear whether Hogwarts is High School or College or both.

Hogwarts students are mostly 11-17 years old. It's a boarding school that lasts seven years, encompassing what I'd call the junior high and senior high years where I live. It's not a college.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 am  
    A Song of Ice and Fire

So if Hogwart's is a junior high and high school and you're looking for a college, maybe a maester's program like George R. R. Martin has in A Song of Ice and Fire is something you want to check out.

There is one location where students go to become a maester. When the students graduate they wear black robes as I recall. They wear chains around their necks which have links made of certain materials which reflect their fields of study. Job placement is good as lords of the realm seem to want someone with some healing skills, communication through ravens around the realm skills, history, letters, math, etc. to teach a lord's children. To me, it's a fantasy master's program.

I finished "A Dance with Dragons" this weekend. I guess I'll go back to reading The Great Book of Amber.... ...And to digress even further, I noticed that the free module set in Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire module has a character named Corwin which is the same name of the main character in The Great Book of Amber....
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: