JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - First Expedition to Castle Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    First Expedition to Castle Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:37 am  
    First Expedition to Castle Greyhawk

I am working on some adventures in Castle Greyhawk for my campaign. While doing some research I read that the first group of adventurers to enter the castle (after years of fear and suspicion) were a group of northern barbarians, or something to that nature.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these northerners. Are these characters based off of one of Gygax's original adventures? Are these supposed to be Thellorians, or something else? Perhaps any other details.
    GreySage

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:17 am  

I'm not sure where the northern barbarian reference is from. Gary Gygax's original group was Terek, Robilar, Tenser, and Ehlissa (Elise Gygax's cleric), most of whom were assumed to have been born in the Greyhawk/Wild Coast region.

It's not really important who the very first group of adventurers to penetrate Zagig's castle were. Countless groups have gone there and either brought out treasure or died from the dangers within. The first group probably didn't get very far; the next group may have gotten a little further, and the next group further still as the upper levels were slowly tamed (only to grow dangerous again as new monsters and threats occupied the cleared levels). A party of Thillonrian barbarians might well have decided to be the first ones to loot the ruins, since they wouldn't have been as influenced by local superstitions. But I don't think there's any information about them.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:26 pm  

The barbarians in question were:

Vordag Shieldcleft, Migon the Dark, and Harald the Axe, all frost barbarians.

They were accompanied by:

Krylak Dwarfbeard, a shaman of their tribe,

Yidzo, a young druid they encountered in Ratik, and

Milo Ygnizirias, aka Milo Furtive-Fingers, a thief from Greyhawk City who had befriended them in a tavern and who was extremely reluctant to venture into the ruins.

The group did fairly well over the course of their first few days of adventuring, but soon were frustrated over their inability to find a secret door leading deeper (which they were sure was there because it was on the map they had purchased from one of Milo's "associates"). After searching for a couple more days they got bored and moved on to richer pastures, soon finding themselves on the Wild Coast where they had several rousing adventures.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:06 pm  

What source is that from, Bubbagump?
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:14 pm  

Robbastard wrote:
    What source is that from, Bubbagump?

Why, the best source of Greyhawk lore there is, of course!

My own over-active imagination!
    GreySage

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:17 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    My own over-active imagination!

I must say, for a Hairfoot halfling in Swedish lederhosen, that IS a pretty good source for Greyhawk material! Laughing

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:18 pm  

Thank you! We aims to please.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 pm  

Wow. I like it, defiantly worth throwing in as a bard's tale at some point, probably associating it with a magic weapon they found in the dungeon or something.

The only thing is who would really get their spiritual advice from a Dwarf?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:48 pm  

He wasn't a dwarf; he just had a big, thick, dwarf-like beard. He was also a bit short and stocky, and rather ugly - but you'd not catch me saying that to his face! He also drank like a dwarf when the mood was upon him, which wasn't often.

'Tis a pity he had to meet such an tragic end, torn apart by noisome ape-like creatures in the Suss Forest. Dying in combat was what he would have wanted, but for those who were there it was gruesome to behold.

Nonetheless, he gave his life in defense of his party and that counts for much. He was a brave man, a good friend, and a worthy comrade. He will be missed.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:18 am  

rasgon wrote:
    It's not really important who the very first group of adventurers to penetrate Zagig's castle were. Countless groups have gone there and either brought out treasure or died from the dangers within. The first group probably didn't get very far; the next group may have gotten a little further, and the next group further still as the upper levels were slowly tamed (only to grow dangerous again as new monsters and threats occupied the cleared levels). A party of Thillonrian barbarians might well have decided to be the first ones to loot the ruins, since they wouldn't have been as influenced by local superstitions. But I don't think there's any information about them.

I think I read about the barbarians in Greyhawk Ruins, I also read it on the Wiki-Greyhawk linked to this site. Yeah, it's not important, making up my own back story is adequate. I guess the mention of it peeked my interest, and was wondering if anyone knew anything else about it.[/i]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:19 am  

aquarist wrote:
    The only thing is who would really get their spiritual advice from a Dwarf?

On second thought, probably some Frost Barbarians.
    GreySage

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:46 am  

aquarist wrote:
    I think I read about the barbarians in Greyhawk Ruins,

Oh, yup, there it is. Page 3. "Eventually adventure lust overtook a band of wandering barbarians from the north who entered the castle and returned with a great wealth in gold and magical items." Bubbagump's version of events works well.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:17 am  

Not to threadjack, but earlier tonight I was asked in a chatroom about the fate of our erstwhile barbarian friends. If anybody else is interested, here's the tale. Who knows? Maybe one of you can make an adventure or something out of it:

Migon and Harald had a falling out soon after Krylak's death, with Harald accusing Migon of cowardice. It seems Migon had fallen under the influence of a cursed helm they picked up in the Suss and had turned evil, though Harald didn't know that at the time. Both left the party as a result of the altercation.

Migon wandered into Keoland, ultimately making his way as far as the Sea of Dust. He then traveled to the Sea Princes, where he joined up with a pirate band. His ship was lost at sea shortly thereafter.

Harald spent some time in Greyhawk City before wanderlust again overtook him, leading him to join up with a small tribe in the Bright Desert. He found a wife in that tribe and raised up two strong sons. He and his sons (young men by then) were ambushed by undead one night when they were camped near some ruins. Both boys died fighting, and Harald proved his courage by crawling nearly halfway back to his home camp before expiring from blood loss. Where's a healing potion when you really need one, eh?

Milo Ygnizirias never accompanied the others into the Wild Coast, instead staying in Greyhawk to spend his new-found wealth. He should have known better, since this made him a conspicuous target. When the thieves' guild found out he hadn't paid them their fair share, he was hauled before the guildmaster. Nobody ever saw him again.

Only Vordag and Yidzo ever returned to their homelands.

Vordag was well into middle age when he returned to the north, but still strong and tough as nails. In time he became a chieftain of some reputation, and eventually died of old age. His funeral was a testament to his courage and prowess, with even a delegation of snow barbarians making the long trek to pay homage to their respected adversary. His descendants still tell stories about his deeds around their fires.

Yidzo, the youngest of the group, eventually became an elder among that small sect of druids that calls Loftwood home. He, too, died of old age, much respected by his peers. His body was entombed beneath the alter stone in one of that forest's few remaining stone circles.

A common belief around Ratik holds that the elders of the Loftwood druids are reincarnated upon their deaths, though they do not remember their former lives. It is said that from time to time, when the stars are right, the Loftwood elders in their new bodies are drawn once again to the circle where their old bodies lie. Upon entering the innermost circle the memories of their earlier lives return, and they spend the hours between midnight and 3:00am sharing their wisdom and discussing the important events of the day. After that they are compelled to return to their new homes, forgetting everything that transpired until the stars are again properly aligned.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: