Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New Material for Old Editions?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    New Material for Old Editions?
    Novice

Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:06 am  
    New Material for Old Editions?

Fellow Greyhawkers:

I'm wondering whether those of us who play AD&D (first or second edition, basic set, homebrew rules, whatever) rather than 3/3.5E would be interested in buying new modules (with both adventures and new rules, similar to Gygax classics like S4 that had a booklet of each) released for your favorite version.

If so, what kind of stuff are you looking for? How much would you pay for it?

- Tav
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:24 pm  

A big part of my decision to return to Basic D&D is that I'm tired of buying an endless stream of new material.

Considering all the material TSR put out over the years, as well as stuff by folks like Judges Guild and Flying Buffalo, there's a lot to work with already.

Then there's the material for AD&D 1e & 2e, Hackmaster and even (gasp Shocked ) 3e/d20 that can be somewhat easily converted to draw from.

To top it all off, there's a almost endless supply of material, ideas and discussions on the internet to keep things alive.

An official, published 'revival' doesn't really interest me, there's plenty to work with already, and the free stuff on the net is a perfectly acceptable, and free source of ideas, inspiration and material.

Chatdemon dons his cloak of moderation momentarily.

It's not at all clear that Tav_B was hinting at promoting any particular 'alternative old school D&D' product, but in these "oop" type forums, the trend is for these types of conversations to lead to "hey, if you want old school feel, check out >insert product here<

This is perfectly valid, elsewhere.

This forum is specifically targeted toward Basic D&D. AD&D 1e and 2e are acceptable tangents, as is the Hackmaster rpg.

D20/OGL games, despite whatever claims they may have about old school feel, are off topic here.
    Please, if you have any questions, objections or suggestions regarding this policy, contact me via Private Message or EMail (richadmin@canonfire.com). I'm happy to discuss the moderation and rules here with anyone interested, but I'd like to keep such off-topicness off the forum itself to avoid distracting those not involved.

Thanks for your understanding, and again, this is not directed at Tav_B in particular, just making sure we're all on the same page.

Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:42 am  

The problem that publishing new material creates, and is intended to solve, is a very old-school paradox!

"As originally conceived, D&D was limited in scope only by the imagination and devotion of Dungeon Masters everywhere… But somewhere along the line, D&D lost some of its flavor, and became predictable… This came about as a result of the proliferation of rule sets; while this was great for us as a company, it was tough on the DM. When all the players had all the rules in front of them, it became next to impossible to beguile them into danger or mischief. The new concept pioneered within these pages should go a long way towards putting back some of the mystery, uncertainty, and danger that make D&D the unparalleled challenge it was meant to be.”

- Foreword to Eldrich Wizardry by Timothy J. Kask, TSR Publications Editor, April 23, 1976

By "proliferation of rule sets," Kask probably meant that many players owned the white box and thus knew what the DM was likely to have up their sleeve. Certainly, there's enough published material now that (if the DM's sleeves stay well hidden!) no player could conceivably have boned up on it all.

Nevertheless, I think it's surprising how much of these comments still apply 30 years later -- and amazing that people were worrying about D&D becoming stale and ossified just two years after it was published!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:37 am  
    2e DM here

I'm glad to see that there are still people out there who enjoy Greyhawk. I believe it's in its fourth incarnation now with 3.5, though I haven't heard much about it recently. I come from an older pedegree of Greyhawk. I started playing/DMing with Sargent's world in the early 1990s. I still have lots of the sourcebooks and all of the 2e rulebooks.

While I appreciate the work that D&D has done to keep the game going, I was shocked to find out recently that the new Hasbro books cost well over $20 a piece! This means an outlay of close to $100 for the PH/DMG/MM/LGG! I want to start DMing again, but I'm probably going to stick with 2e and the bulk of the material I already own.

That being said, I do have an adventure I managed to save from my early days as a Greyhawk DM in a WP format. If anyone is interested, it's a low-level campaign based in the city for four players. With a few adaptations, I'm sure it could be used as an introductory setting for new characters. Now, does anyone know if there are other 2e DM's out there who write for Greyhawk? I'd like to share my ideas and learn from others. Perhaps I am a dying breed...

Lord Penetron
    CF Admin

Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:54 am  

Quote:
    I come from an older pedegree of Greyhawk. I started playing/DMing with Sargent's world in the early 1990s. I still have lots of the sourcebooks and all of the 2e rulebooks.

50% of Canonfire's visitors and contributors are 1st and 2nd Ed gamers or have been playing since those editions, most of which prolly have been around Greyhawk even longer than you, including myself.

If you actually take the time to look around the site, there is plenty of information in older (non 3Ed) formats, including a slew of articles and other submissions.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:48 am  

Cool, thanks. I will check it out.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: