Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Oracles, Prophecies, Histories and Mystic Forecasts
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Oracles, Prophecies, Histories and Mystic Forecasts
    Paladin

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:23 pm  
    Oracles, Prophecies, Histories and Mystic Forecasts

So, how does one handle passing along information to the PCs or if the PCs are in need of information do yours simply Guise a spell to foretell the futures? or is there a personage, place or method that you as the DM use to parse tidbits of information? Is it straight forth? Cryptic? Crusade or sacrifice required? or that wry ole Bard that just "seems to be in the know"? Would think it makes for an interesting thread of discussion.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:03 pm  

The spells augury, divination, and commune exist for a reason. People forget that clerics are not just healers. Wink A world full of gods, and temples of those gods, is a place where religion is ever present in every aspect of life. Clerics should be sought for advice on potentially momentous events/undertakings. Bards and sages may be less cryptic, perhaps, but they won't always have an answer. The gods usually do, even if they are cryptic most of the time.

Last edited by Cebrion on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:48 pm  

The Oracle at Delphi was notorious for being cryptic. It allowed for almost any outcome to be the "one foretold."

The Oracles of old practiced C.Y.A. Evil Grin

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:18 pm  

One of my preferred methods of providing PCs information is via interrogation of captured enemies.

This teaches my players two things I value in real life. First, they realize that they can't just go around killing everyone and everything that gets in their path. Second, they actually learn questioning techniques that apply not just to police-type of questioning of suspects, but to debate, formal and casual, and critical thinking and research. It is a pleasure to me to see, especially my younger players, develope a more critical mind as they learn to play different roles and attempt different methods of acquiring information from different opponents. When they advance into discretely tricking the old maid Duchess into admiting secrets by flattering her, I'm a proud father. Happy

SirXaris
    Paladin

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:11 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    One of my preferred methods of providing PCs information is via interrogation of captured enemies.

Good One SirXaris! I agree, it is sometimes difficult to get players past the "Hack and Slash" mentality.
    Cebrion wrote:
    The spells augury, divination, and commune exist for reason. People forget that clerics are not just healers.

Totally Agree Big C! PCs tooo often view Clerics as "onboard medics" or "walking band-aid dispensers"

I too condone capture and quarter over slaughter and even award exp's for those that gather intel in such ways. This was (sadly) a debated topic with a former DM years ago (it was his posture that the info was reward enough and exp were awarded for "kills" but that may be a different thread. hehe ). This perspective, of course, could be debated either way now since the advent of "skills" such as diplomacy. back in the "ole days" they were just part of the roleplaying. My players have learned through the years, that certain types of information is more reliable from certain sources ( as Big C discussed). I tend to provide historical info via bards, sages and ye ole library (if the city has such). For magics and alchemy, the wizards and the druids are treated as represented experts. In the past, Spinx and Dragons on RARE occasions have even provided information, tho at a price.

The "new" element in play IMC, is actually what the characters "know" vs what the player does. In past years, we (my core players and I) grew up with in the game ( much as the camaraderie that I am developing here) so we all "knew" most of the histories (save some scant details that each of us became expert with). So back in the day, the player often "knew more" than their particular character. Now however, 10 years (real) (and 25 game) have past, so there are elements that have occurred that the characters would know, yet the players may not. ie the entire war for example (my campaign stopped pre GH war). This presents a new set of temporary challenges as "we" move forward.

I have (in the past and currently)also allowed (and encouraged) characters to be descendants / relatives of previous characters... to me it makes the histories plausible and easier for the PC to recall (after all, they as players did it).
    Lastly, THANKS to you all for being the "firsts", in response... you certainly lead by example.
    GreySage

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:23 am  

To chime in...

I fully agree with Cebrion about the use of divination magicks. Lots of folks overlook those spells (unless you play a priest with access to Divination sphere), but they can be abused if not balanced properly. Don't forget that mages, too, have spells of Divination as well, though they obviously are not "Divine" in origin.

I have also used visions of prophecy, insight, and the like with some of my player's characters, notably (specialty) priests and paladins...they have to decipher the meaning on their own (though I may give hints if they are stumped and make a decent Wisdom roll, keeping in mind the character is likely far more insightful than the person role-playing him/her. After all, how many of us have 15+ Wisdoms or Intelligences?!).

just my coppers' worth,

Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:34 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I have (in the past and currently)also allowed (and encouraged) characters to be descendants / relatives of previous characters... to me it makes the histories plausible and easier for the PC to recall (after all, they as players did it).

This is a quality of roleplaying that I have been employing since High School and I like it a lot.

Many of my player's characters (and many of my own PCs) are the progeny of previous characters. This allows for the new PC to 'know' things via family history or just hearing their mother or father tell stories of their exploits at bedtime. Thus, when a player knows that a skeleton isn't harmed much by piercing or slashing weapons, but the PC hasn't encountered skeletons before, the character is assumed to have been taught that information by his or her parent(s).

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: