JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Armies of Iuz
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Armies of Iuz
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed May 30, 2012 8:01 pm  
    The Armies of Iuz

In the Armies of Iuz chapter of the Iuz the Evil supplement, the sizes of the forces stationed in different cities and towns are given for CY 584. Sargent cautions in using the numbers given, pointing out that the forces are those of occupation, and they are not readying for war.

However, in CY 586 the Great Northern Crusade begins and Iuz IS at war. I'm wondering how the numbers given would change. Given that Iuz is depicted as on the defensive in this war, perhaps they do not change at all. But, perhaps forces are moved away from occupied lands further away from the lands bordering Furyondy, Highfolk and the Shield Lands to reinforce those troops along the border. This would make any internal rebellions, say in the Bandit Kingdoms, more likely.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed May 30, 2012 10:19 pm  

Troop numbers would likely change in a few ways:

1. They institute conscription on a greater scale.

2. They animate even more of the dead to bolster their forces.

3. They summon more "critters".

4. They redeploy troops from non-threatened areas to threatened areas.

If they know the enemy is coming in force, they will usually have enough time to prepare at least in some ways.

Thu May 31, 2012 6:21 pm  

I agree with Cebrion's assessment. However, I also think Iuz's forces completely fumble their mobilization and redeployment. I would assume that despite mobilizing more humanoids and ordering shifts in troops, that the chaotic nature of Iuz's empire worked against him, and made a hash of his maneuvering. Throughout the crusade, it is apparent that Furyondy retained the initiative. In fact, they manage to attack on two fronts (northern Furyondy and the Shield Lands), sustain a long siege of Crockport, and still push the border back indicates that Iuz and his generals were unable to employ their numerical advantage effectively.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:54 pm  

As much of Iuz's army is composed of orcs, hobgoblins, and goblins, i.e. lawful evil types, I hadn't considered the fact that their leaders being chaotic would negate the numerical advantage. It makes sense, though.

I was thinking that the numbers might stay largely the same because

1. Iuz is forced to fight a war on many fronts: Vesve, Furyondy, Shield Lands, the freed Stoneholders, and the Wolf Nomads. This prevents him from being able to concentrate troops into a single area.

2. Any conscripts would be likely to desert or surrender when forced to fight former or potential allies.

3. Large occupying forces are still necessary to prevent revolts and rebellions.

But, due to the Flight of Fiends, I could also see more undead being allowed to spawn in areas that previously had a significant demonic presence in order to fill gap. I think the main hindrance to creating huge undead armies is the limitation on the number of hit dice a priest can control.

Last edited by IronGolem on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:08 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Troop numbers would likely change in a few ways:

1. They institute conscription on a greater scale...

-At least for the Orcs and Hobgoblins, I'd think that Iuz's forces would always be at close to full "conscription." It's not not most of them are into pottery and macrame. It is possible that many might be allowed to be "freelance", but the effect on their neighbors would be the same (i.e. raids), just not as focused.

tarelton wrote:
    ...However, I also think Iuz's forces completely fumble their mobilization and redeployment. I would assume that despite mobilizing more humanoids and ordering shifts in troops, that the chaotic nature of Iuz's empire worked against him, and made a hash of his maneuvering...

-FWIW, the individuals that Iuz decided to blame for the "fumbles" and "hash" would have been unfortunate... which means they would have had to been replaced by less experienced leaders, who would have been even more likley to screw things up.

IronGolem wrote:
    As much of Iuz's army is composed of orcs, hobgoblins, and goblins, i.e. lawful evil types, I hadn't considered the fact that their leaders being chaotic would negate the numerical advantage. It makes sense, though...

-FWIW, in D&D 3.5, orcs have reverted to CE. Which makes a hash of a lot of previous work.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:08 pm  

Obviously I was not referring to orcs and hobgoblins with regards to conscription. Iuz's armies are not made up of just undead and humanoids. There a lots of humans in the Empire of Iuz too; many of whom would rather not go to war and who are otherwise occupied doing jobs having to do with every day life in the Empire.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:45 pm  

Two other things to consider: logistics and motivation.

The Chaotic nature of Iuz Empire probably means the his armies live off the land to a large degree. Their are not large depots of supplies at intervals of a days march along the roads in Iuz' lands. Rather, passing troops grab, extort, or bully what they can from the local troops. Not a big problem when you are on the offensive in hostile territory (GHWs) but a big problem when marching through your own, alrady picked-over territory. Iuz's logistical system probably could not support any more troops in Northern Furyondy than he already had.

Motivation is also an issue. The Flight of the Fiends means the most powerful troops are gone, doubtless lowering the morale of Iuz's forces. Further, most of them have probably been making themselves at home and getting settled in a garrison somewhere. Now they are being called out to go fight their most implacable enemy, without their best troops, with little logistical support. If they win, they then get to march home to their old garrison, with little opportunity to loot. If they lose, well, they die. Iuz Empire really does not have the sort of culture that fosters mutual defense.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: