JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Mace of Cuthbert
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Mace of Cuthbert
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 am  
    Mace of Cuthbert

Other than "City Beyond the Gate" in DRAGON #100, is anyone aware of any canon references to appearances of the mace of Cuthbert on Oerth? I'm looking for alternative rumors of its location that I can seed as red herrings.
    GreySage

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:29 am  

I glanced through my 1e DMG, Treasures of Greyhawk, Greyhawk Adventures, and even (largely forgotten, unused) Book of Artifacts, and NONE of them give any indication where this item may be located.

In a pinch, why not come up with some red herrings of your own? Think of the fun you can have with those...

Sorry I wasn't of much help. Confused

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:40 pm  

If you need a starting point of a "red herring" their are several new Taverns and Inns. Or rumors that the mace is hidden with-in one of the inn's could be fun.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:07 pm  

If you consider the artifacts section of the DMG to be talking about Oerth, it seems to indicate that at some point since Cuthbert was last among mortals (decades ago, it says) the Mace was in the hands of worshipers, who encased various holy relics within it. We had a debate about what decades meant in a thread a ways back. In my Origins of St. Cuthbert and His Cult article, some years ago, I took the decades quote literally, having had Cuthbert walking the Oerth about the time Iuz first got real heavy, and then suddenly disappeared, as did Cuthbert. In the article I placed it in the "Great Cathedral in Verbobonc City" but it disappeared not long after.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 pm  

If you want a spark for your creativity, why not roll on the Character's Place of Birth table from the WoG Glossography and use that as the current location.

Of course, you then need to determine how it got there and who has it. I've used this method before and it provides some interesting inspiration.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:47 pm  

St. Cuthbert of the cudgel. Why is their a mace when he was renown for using a cudgel? I allows wanted to do a write up on his cudgel. Smillian I'll have to read up on your St. Cuthber and his cult.

Later

Argon
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:52 am  

Argon wrote:
    St. Cuthbert of the cudgel. Why is their a mace when he was renown for using a cudgel? I allows wanted to do a write up on his cudgel. Smillian I'll have to read up on your St. Cuthber and his cult.

Later

Argon

There is the Cudgel That Never Forgets, which is another artifact of the Saint.

My thought is that Gygax, who we know loved word-play, might have been using "cudgel" not necessarily in the sense of a particular piece of wood, but more as a descriptor, as in St. Cuthbert, being the guy who will bash your head in if you don't stop being an idiot. Or maybe I'm totally wrong.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:59 am  

According to (pg 52) of The Book of Artifacts, the Mace of Cuthbert is a "short, gnarled piece of bronzewood in the shape of a club."

-Lanthorn
    CF Admin

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:01 pm  

Great article smillan_31!

I love your scholarly approach, use of citations, etc. The only part missing for my stylistically is the identity of your narrator? Did you ever develop him/her -- a la Iquander, the Savant Sage, Pluffet Smedger, etc.?

I also like your idea that Cuthbert's sobriquet refers to his personality.

Argon, I haven't thought too much about the Mace of St. Cuthbert and wonder whether it shape-shifts like Kas's sword in Vecna Lives!, or if instead there are several relics that humanity has confused for the Mace.

DMPrata, I lack any canon references to the Mace's location but wonder if Grodog's LGJ article might be helpful?

Quote:
    All Oerth’s Artefacts: A Complete Annotated Listing
    By Allan J. Grohe, Jr (with Erik Mona) in LIVING GREYHAWK Journal
    [Volume 2, Number 15; Goodmonth 592 CY, September 2002]
    Included in Dragon 299

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=3
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:41 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    According to (pg 52) of The Book of Artifacts, the Mace of Cuthbert is a "short, gnarled piece of bronzewood in the shape of a club."

-Lanthorn

Well, there is always that too. Happy
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:49 pm  

mtg wrote:
    Great article smillan_31!

I love your scholarly approach, use of citations, etc. The only part missing for my stylistically is the identity of your narrator? Did you ever develop him/her -- a la Iquander, the Savant Sage, Pluffet Smedger, etc.?

I also like your idea that Cuthbert's sobriquet refers to his personality.

Thanks, all around, mtg. I do sometimes include an identity for the narrators of my articles and sometimes I don't. Not sure why I do that, because I do pretty much write from an in-world point of view.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:01 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:

-Lanthorn

Dragon #358 tried to reconcile the different descriptions of Cuthbert's mace (which is sometimes pictures as an actual mace, sometimes as a cudgel) by suggesting there was more than one. In that article, the ''Mace'' is depicted as a made of wood, but shaped like a mace. "It is entirely possible that several powerful maces exist in the world bearing this name."
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:25 pm  

Smillan,

Yet another well researched article. I am referring to http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=857 your article. I rather enjoyed it and I am not sure how I missed it the first time around. You always seem to provide us with a list of sources from which we can draw from.

Rasgon,

It is true there can easily be many weapons and other artifacts for St.Cuthbert and other deities. I guess its easy to harp on what is mentioned as opposed to what has not been mentioned. Perhaps the shroud of St. Cuthbert.
    "Many speculate that with in the Sea of Dust lies a tomb where the mortal remains of St. Cuthbert lies. Scholars speculate that no bones or flesh remain in the tomb. While some suggest that the shroud he wore on that fatal day may still remain intact. Rumors persist that the shroud can bring the recently deceased back to life. While it is rare to find any mention of said shroud in the libraries of the churches temples, a few old faith bards have passed this tale along. To whom or what may have more information on this shroud only St. Cuthbert knows. Have you the nerve and knowledge to seek out the shroud which contained St. Cuthbert's mortal soul?"

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:31 pm  

Here's the Wiki link with sources. Scroll down the page for 'Artifacts' and you'll get some sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_of_Cuthbert

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:05 pm  

Sir Xaris,

Thanks for the link. Though I thought for some reason the wiki would have more info on the mace. As per the wiki Michael Phelps or other olympians might find St. Cuthbert's mace. Cool

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm  

Argon wrote:
    Sir Xaris,

Thanks for the link. Though I thought for some reason the wiki would have more info on the mace. As per the wiki Michael Phelps or other olympians might find St. Cuthbert's mace. Cool

Later

Argon

Yeah, it doesn't say much, but I thought that grabbing copies of the sources themselves might provide more information.

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: