JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Against the Giants
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Against the Giants
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 am  
    Against the Giants

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this one.

Which Greyhawk realm is the setting for these modules? Sterich or Geoff? I thought Sterich makes sense until I read Liberation of Geoff which seems to suggest the latter.

Are the mountains in question the Crystalmists or the Jotens? Are the fire giants located in the Hellfurnaces or are there active volcanism further north?

Who hires the original party?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 am  

Hi Raphael,

The original G1 - 3 adventures were intended as a stand alone trilogy but at some point became the first three parts of the Queen of Spiders GDQ super-campaign. The players are hired by the King of Keoland who is represented by his agent Lashton who is based in Sterich and the starting point is also Sterich although most of the western Sheldomar (Sterich, the Yeomanry and Geoff) has been threatened by the increased giant activity and raids.

G1 - 3 sends the players to three giant bases;

G1 - Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (Jotens)
    G2 - Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl (Crytalmists)
    G3 - Hall of the Fire Giant King (Hellfurnaces)

The conclusion of the fire giant section (G3) sees the story descend into the UnderOerth.

Later on G1 - 3 were re-published in the form of Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff. As well as including the original three giant adventures the book expanded on them with details relating to Geoff and adds three more giant bases (loosely coined as G4 - 6);

G4 - Mount Rungnirheim (Crystalmists)
    G5 - Castle Thrasmotnir (Pest's Crossing, Geoff)
    G6 - Cloud IslandS of the Sakhut

Hope that helps!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 am  

Wolfling wrote:
    The players are hired by the King of Keoland who is represented by his agent Lashton who is based in Sterich and the starting point is also Sterich although most of the western Sheldomar (Sterich, the Yeomanry and Geoff) has been threatened by the increased giant activity and raids.

Thanks! Was this information in the supermodule? I have the original Giant modules and it doesn't say.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 pm  

No worries. Yeah it was in the supermodule (GDQ). I think they basically just added a way to take the stand alone G-Series and incorporate them into a campaign with a lead in and motive.
    GreySage

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 pm  

Perhaps merely coincidence, but does this interest have anything to do with the soon to be released film, "Jack the Giant Killer?" Wink

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:06 am  

Raphael wrote:

Thanks! Was this information in the supermodule? I have the original Giant modules and it doesn't say.

GH hex locations were given in the '83 box and the GDQ editors extrapolated on that.

Wolfling wrote:

Later on G1 - 3 were re-published in the form of Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff. As well as including the original three giant adventures the book expanded on them with details relating to Geoff and adds three more giant bases (loosely coined as G4 - 6);

G4 - Mount Rungnirheim (Crystalmists)
    G5 - Castle Thrasmotnir (Pest's Crossing, Geoff)
    G6 - Cloud IslandS of the Sakhut

Also see "Warrens of the Stone Giant Thane" in Dungeon #198.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:04 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Perhaps merely coincidence, but does this interest have anything to do with the soon to be released film, "Jack the Giant Killer?" Wink

Yes, the movie made me get my original modules out of storage. I've borrowed a friend's supermodule now and see the references.

In the original "Steading", the unnamed powers that be seem to have threatened the PCs with death to undertake the mission. In the supermodule, the Royal Agent seems only vaguely interested that the PCs want to help out.

Also, the supermodule makes the Royal Agent seem like a twit. I now see that the LGG states that the Royal Agent in the supermodule is actually the Royal Archmage of Keoland!

The fact that Keoland was behind combatting the troubles in Sterich have made me re-evaluate Sterich's independence. The supermodule makes it seem that Sterich is essentually a Keolandish province.

All very interesting. Thanks for the responses guys.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 am  

The history of Sterich in the LGG gives a pretty good incite into the relationship between Sterich and Keoland Raphael. I think at the time of the Giant incursions Sterich was an Earldom not a March and a client state of Keoland that had been allowed to become quite independant. The King of Keoland had been trying to persuade his friend the Earl of Sterich to swear full fealty to Keoland but the Earl refused.

Reports of an increased giant threat meant Sterich called upon Keoland for support but the King of Keoland refused or at least stalled I htink to try and convince Sterich to swear fealty. It was a pretty bad decision. The giants invaded and Sterich fell.

Sterich is still a client state of Keoland so they are honour bound to intervene I supose, also it's on their border so it's not ideal having a threat like that so close. Also I think King Scotti feels pretty bad his opportunism cost all those lives.

When I ran GDQ I remember Lashton being fun to play - he was a total d*** but I tried to make up for it by his assistant being someone the PCs could warm to.

It's a great campaign, I hope you have fun running it!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:17 am  

Raphael wrote:
    The fact that Keoland was behind combatting the troubles in Sterich have made me re-evaluate Sterich's independence. The supermodule makes it seem that Sterich is essentually a Keolandish province.

Not really a province like those that sit on the Council of Niole Dra, but as the LGG says, "...owing fealty to Keoland." More akin to palatine status. In other words the ruler of Keoland exercises powers normally reserved for the king, while maintaining fealty to the Keoish king.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:48 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Not really a province like those that sit on the Council of Niole Dra, but as the LGG says, "...owing fealty to Keoland." More akin to palatine status. In other words the ruler of Keoland exercises powers normally reserved for the king, while maintaining fealty to the Keoish king.

I think you meant to say, 'Sterich' there, smillan. Wink

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: