JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Kolbenborg
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Kolbenborg
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:00 pm  
    Kolbenborg

I know that this must have come up a bunch of times in the past but my forum search function isn't working and I'm too brain dead right now to scroll back through the pages!

I'm a bit confused regarding Kolbenborg & the City of the Gods. Were they the same place or seperate cities both within a technocratic fief?

If they are not the same - where on the map is the City of the Gods supposed to be? I know it's around Blackmoor and covered by the Black Ice but I'm not sure where exactly.

Also, do we have any idea of when the City of Gods fell time wise? I seem to remember reading that it might have been after the Twin Cataclysms but that still seems quite recent.

Finally, has there ever been a connection made between their clockwork craftsmanship and Ehlissa's Nightingale? The two have a similar vibe to me. As well as any connection with the Burning Cliffs a little to the east?
    GreySage

Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:07 am  

Here's the earlier thread: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4201

Kolbenborg and the City of the Gods were different communities in the same civilization. This land was once subject to the Baklunish Empire but allied with the Suel during the Baklunish-Suloise Wars. Its magic gear-based technology was probably learned from the Baklunish, who learned it from the efreet. Ehlissa probably lived long before the rise of the City of the Gods, but it's possible she had contact with the efreet, perhaps through Joramy. The Burning Cliffs were probably created by Tzunk when he invaded the City of Brass.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:17 am  

Thanks Rasgon, much appreciated, I knew I'd seen a thread somewhere!

Is Mathghamhna suggested as the name for the City of Gods?

Is there a suggested Darlene map hex ref for the City of Gods? I'm unsure of where to pin point it on the map other than somewhere in the Black Ice.

I've seen a map of Blackmoor that mentions a Frost Citadel but I'm guessing that isn't the same thing.

Do you envision the Flan tribes dwelling in stockade like forts as survivors from the technocracy or a people who co-existed with their more technologically advanced neighbours?

Have you any thoughts about how the Northern Adepts fit into the picture?
    GreySage

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:49 pm  

Wolfling wrote:
    Is Mathghamhna suggested as the name for the City of Gods?

No, it's a citadel created by the Baklunish Mages of Power suggested to exist in either Blackmoor or the Yatil Mountains (or various other places in other campaign settings). It doesn't have anything to do with the City of the Gods culture; I mention it only because the reference is evidence that the Baklunish Imperium controlled the Blackmoor region at the time.

Quote:
    Is there a suggested Darlene map hex ref for the City of Gods? I'm unsure of where to pin point it on the map other than somewhere in the Black Ice.

No, you're on your own. Dungeon #126 says only that it's "some distance" from Kolbenborg. A Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting by Gary Gygax said it was "Somewhere between the Land of Black Ice and the Blackmoor territory," so it's not actually within the Land of Black Ice, but somewhere south of it.

Quote:
    I've seen a map of Blackmoor that mentions a Frost Citadel but I'm guessing that isn't the same thing.

It's not. The Frost Citadel is from "Raiders of the Black Ice" in Dungeon #115.

Quote:
    Do you envision the Flan tribes dwelling in stockade like forts as survivors from the technocracy or a people who co-existed with their more technologically advanced neighbours?

Probably some of both. There was a separate Flan culture, but refugees from the City of the Gods (those who hadn't become constructs) became absorbed into their population.

Quote:
    Have you any thoughts about how the Northern Adepts fit into the picture?

I don't think they were part of the City of the Gods culture. They were part of the native Flan culture, and the denizens of the City of the Gods may have came to them as their situation grew desperate.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:21 am  

Thanks again Rasgon - I've finally got a clearer picture in my head of how I see things going on up in Blackmoor! It's such a fascinating area.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: