JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Maure Castle questions
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Maure Castle questions
    Novice

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:58 pm  
    Maure Castle questions

I realize that we are approaching the ten year mark since Maure Castle was first re-visited in Dungeon #112, but this particular dungeon still has a hold on me. I have, for the most part, finished up my versions of the Furnace level and the cells and am looking for those last details that tie them in more closely with Mr. Kuntz's original work.

What I am looking for in particular is the relationships between Afelbain, Vexxus, Elluvia, Bersteck, Hollowix, Zenebar, Sowac, Anaehesh, Fenel, and Aspong. Who is brother/sister to who? Who is an uncle/aunt.

I am also curious if someone has information that can match up Maures to an individual patron. Who is the Maure associated with Dalt, Orcus, or Grazzt? Any information on Pyremius's relationship with the Maures would be especially helpful, as I have a temple to him in my version of the furnace level.

Also, can someone direct me to write-ups for the Book of Vows (book that Malcanthet was looking for) or the Chains of hilogresh (gift from Y to uncle)?

There is a good chance that most of the answers to these questions only exist in a notes of Mr. Kuntz, but I figured I would give it a shot and see what other fans of Maure have come up with.
    CF Admin

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:03 pm  

Some good commentary from RJK as well as fans appears in the MC forum on Paizo's boards @ http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/olderProducts/dungeon/maureCastle

Kuntz also published an article last year with some relevance to the Maures in AFS#2; details @ http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/2012/12/afs-issue-2-is-released.html

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:32 am  

The short answer to your questions is "no", sadly. I suspect, however, there was no actual familial relationship between the Maures, they just used "Uncle" as a term of endearment to their mentor. Creepy.

The question of Dalt is indeed a curious one and RJK dropped a number of hints to me in the past, but I was never smart enough to work it out.

We'd love to see your write-ups of your MC levels though, WhoHuhWhat! Are you going to share anywhere?
    Novice

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:14 am  

Grodog, thank you for the reply. I think I have seen everything on the Paizo boards, actually I have been following your posts and the posts of RJK over there for quite sometime. I have even gone as far as ordering the AFS magazine to read Mr. Kuntz's comments there. BTW, I enjoyed your Greyhawk page tremendously.

Daytripper, I suspect that "Uncle" is actually the only one who is not a direct member of the family. But I believe that he has been guiding the Maure family for several generations. As far as write ups, I may get around to posting that some day, but I have to admit that I am not especially computer savvy. I can tell you that the Furnace and Cell level that I have in mind are subject to swings between three time periods.

The first being the battle that brought the Maures down, the second being the present time period of the characters and the third being in the future where the characters are confronted by a drastically changed level and encounter forces of law and order that are sent to investigate and put an end to the temporal distortions going on in Maure castle.

Again, thanks for the replies.
    CF Admin

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:41 pm  

WhoHuhWhat wrote:
    Grodog, thank you for the reply. [snip] I have even gone as far as ordering the AFS magazine to read Mr. Kuntz's comments there. BTW, I enjoyed your Greyhawk page tremendously.

Thanks, WhoHuhWhat, and I hope you enjoyed the AFS article as well Smile

WhoHuhWhat wrote:
    Daytripper, I suspect that "Uncle" is actually the only one who is not a direct member of the family. But I believe that he has been guiding the Maure family for several generations.

Now that's an interesting idea, WhoHuhWhat: what points you to the idea that Uncle's not a member of the family?

WhoHuhWhat wrote:
    I can tell you that the Furnace and Cell level that I have in mind are subject to swings between three time periods.

The first being the battle that brought the Maures down, the second being the present time period of the characters and the third being in the future where the characters are confronted by a drastically changed level and encounter forces of law and order that are sent to investigate and put an end to the temporal distortions going on in Maure castle.

At one point, there was a burgeoning project on the Paizo boards for fans to share their own MC levels, but it never seemed to get off the ground, unfortunately. Your level idea sounds good to me, if you get it into a format that you're able to share :D

Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:38 pm  

I still think Uncle is the demon lord "Nql..." mentioned in Eldritch Wizardry's description of the Codex of Infinite Planes.
    CF Admin

Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:41 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    I still think Uncle is the demon lord "Nql..." mentioned in Eldritch Wizardry's description of the Codex of Infinite Planes.

Nice one, Rip! Have to give that some thought, given Gary's and Rob's love of puns :D

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:56 pm  

Nql, that would fit in nicely. A greater demon lord looking to unlock and free his vast army...for the agenda of a higher power, like Y.

Could possibly be responisble of the creation of Kerzit, which in my opinion means that the appearance of Eli Tormolast is no accident but part of a much greater plan. Which reminds me, isn't Chaotic Henchmen supposed to be re-releasing RJK's Dark Druids module? I would love to have all the information I could about the LCotE in front of me.

Wheels with wheels, one of the reasons I love the Maure so much.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: