Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Need help with non-canon elements on Atlas of the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Need help with non-canon elements on Atlas of the Flanaess
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:51 am  
    Need help with non-canon elements on Atlas of the Flanaess

Hi everyone, first-time poster here asking for some help.

I'm sure that no one needs to be told about Anna B. Meyer's incredible Atlas of the Flanaess. I've been talking to Anna on her blog, and she mentioned that she's willing to make custom adjustments to her map upon request.

I'm a huge fan of her Atlas, and I'm planning on printing out a full-size version (8'4" x 9'8" or so). However, I do want to make some small adjustments, in that I noticed some non-canon elements on her map that I'd like removed.

The example that leapt out at me was the location marker on the Atlas for Tower of Azal-Lan, just south of Knurl. Given that I've never seen or heard of this before (I'm a huge Ravenloft fan), I was confused by that entry, until I realized it was from the Dragonsfoot module of the same name.

Unfortunately, my Greyhawk-fu is weak enough that I doubt I'd recognize any other fan-based locations that appear on Anna's map. Hence, I'm turning to this community for help in identifying non-canon locations on the Atlas.

I know that adherence to canon is oftentimes looked askance at (the name of the site was a subtle tip-off in that regard), but I'd really appreciate any help I could get in this regard. For the record, my interpretation of "canon" is anything published, licensed, or approved by TSR/WotC; "non-canon" is everything else (e.g. Dragonsfoot modules, which are made by fans for fans). Of course, just because I'm a hypocrite, I do think that the last few Gord novels are canon, to boot. Embarassed

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide!
    GreySage

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 pm  

The Tower of Azal-Lan was written by our own DMPrata. Smile

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5628

Off the top of my head, the only other non-canon fan work that I'm certain is on Anna's map is my own creation - Sanctigaard and the demesne of Sir Xaris ab Yustin (including Eastboro and Mineholme) between the Principality of Ulek and the Pomarj:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1013&mode=&order=0&thold=0

SirXaris

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:23 pm  

My mistake about ToAL; I saw it over on Dragonsfoot and thought it was from there!

That said, thanks for the notice about Sanctigaard et al. *takes down notes*
    Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 pm  

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Ulakand and Kester are the only canon locations in Ull on Anna's maps. Most every other reference is from my Canonfire and Oerth Journal articles.
    GreySage

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:45 pm  

If you download the PDF version, aren't the non-canon elements all in their own layer?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:12 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that Ulakand and Kester are the only canon locations in Ull on Anna's maps. Most every other reference is from my Canonfire and Oerth Journal articles.

This is the sort of thing I was talking about. I'd never have known that. Thanks!

rasgon wrote:
    If you download the PDF version, aren't the non-canon elements all in their own layer?

No, not in the PDF I have. The layers are all for map features like borders, roads, settlements, etc.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:19 pm  

I just wanted to pop in to note that, while the Tower of Azal'Lan is non-canon, Azal'Lan himself is. He once ruled the present-day Bone March, so it's not much of a stretch that an edifice from his reign might still stand in the region. That said, I hadn't realized Anna had placed the tower on her map. I'm flattered. Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    I just wanted to pop in to note that, while the Tower of Azal'Lan is non-canon, Azal'Lan himself is. He once ruled the present-day Bone March, so it's not much of a stretch that an edifice from his reign might still stand in the region.

Oh, I'm very familiar with the character; I'm a huge Ravenloft fan. That said, according to the novel King of the Dead, Azalin ruled Knurl from Castle Galdliesh, right in the heart of the city, and it's pretty well presented that that's where he performed his experiments also. While there's certainly no reason why there couldn't be another structure elsewhere, there's nothing to say that there is either.

Quote:
    That said, I hadn't realized Anna had placed the tower on her map. I'm flattered. Happy

Yeah, that was quite the eye-catching location when I first saw it.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:52 pm  

Anna did create a CY 576 version of her map. So far as I recall, it is an updated version of the Darlene map, and so fully canonical (you should verify that with Anna though). That map is a good starting point, as it really is the ultimate baseline for a canonical Greyhawk map. It would be exceptionally nice if the full map was layered based on product, meaning there would be the main Darlene map layer, layers for each From the Ashes era product, layers for The Adventure Begins era material, a layer for LGG material, a layer for official RPGA LG material (i.e. seasons 1 & 2), a layer for unofficial RPGA LG material (i.e. seasons 3+), a layer for what could be called quasi-canonical material (for instance, Len Lakofka's further Lendore Isle campaign material), and a layer for non-canonical fan material.

That would be a lot of work though. Finding volunteers with the time and inclination to do something like this is always the hard part.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:14 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    a layer for official RPGA LG material (i.e. seasons 1 & 2), a layer for unofficial RPGA LG material (i.e. seasons 3+)

I wasn't aware of that distinction. Is that because (from what I've read elsewhere) WotC was making the LG material for the first two seasons, and allowed individual authors to do so after that?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:46 pm  

In essence. WotC owns seasons 1 & 2, but not what came after.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:59 am  

Bumping this one after a long silence. I'm getting ready to ask Anna to make some changes for a customized version of the map that has no non-canon elements, and wanted to ask one last time if there's anything else in that regard that the more knowledgeable members of this forum can point out.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: