Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Paul Kidd's Grass Elves in C&C Town of Kalas?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Paul Kidd's Grass Elves in C&C Town of Kalas?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri May 23, 2014 11:34 am  
    Paul Kidd's Grass Elves in C&C Town of Kalas?

One of the most intriguing tidbits of GH lore in the Paul Kidd novels are the fleet-footed grass elves of the northern plains. Details are few:
    they're the "swiftest runners of the Flanaess," Recca was their last "lord," and he wore a cool eagle helmet and used an acrobatic fighting style (Queen of the Demonweb Pits novel, p2-7).

I like the idea of an ancient elven plains culture declining alongside the Rovers of the Barrens (although a bit more south of the Fellreev). Plus, elven subraces have been added liberally to Greyhawk ever since Gygax introduced the Drow in G3. Grass elves fit right in alongside snow, valley, grugach, rockseer, avariel, xakhun, etc., etc., etc.

I recently saw a cover blub for TLG's Town of Kalas by Paul Kidd and it seems that the mysteries of the grass elves have finally been revealed! Anyone buy it yet? How's of the content?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:54 pm  
    Re: Paul Kidd's Grass Elves in C&C Town of Kalas?

vestcoat wrote:
    One of the most intriguing tidbits of GH lore in the Paul Kidd novels are the fleet-footed grass elves of the northern plains. Details are few:
    they're the "swiftest runners of the Flanaess," Recca was their last "lord," and he wore a cool eagle helmet and used an acrobatic fighting style (Queen of the Demonweb Pits novel, p2-7).

I like the idea of an ancient elven plains culture declining alongside the Rovers of the Barrens (although a bit more south of the Fellreev). Plus, elven subraces have been added liberally to Greyhawk ever since Gygax introduced the Drow in G3. Grass elves fit right in alongside snow, valley, grugach, rockseer, avariel, xakhun, etc., etc., etc.

I recently saw a cover blub for TLG's Town of Kalas by Paul Kidd and it seems that the mysteries of the grass elves have finally been revealed! Anyone buy it yet? How's of the content?

The 1998 Greyhawk Player's Guide describes the Olve as once having lived in prairies and other open regions, before withdrawing into the forests ahead of encroaching populations: Oerids, Suloise, and humanoids.
    P 37

These Grass Elves may be Olve who did not withdraw into the deep woods.

I'd handle them not a sub-race, but as a cultural group with the same basic game mechanics stats as high elves.

Were you thinking of giving them different stats, like the snow elves from Dragon Magazine?

If I were running an edition that used NWPs or feats related to running, I'd note that these elves often possess such traits or training.

3E barbarians get fast movement as a standard class feature.

[/i]
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: