Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Where angels fear to tread...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Where angels fear to tread...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:56 am  
    Where angels fear to tread...

Canoneers,

Thought I'd take a stab at a dead horse (the nine-demi-god thing). In Iuz the Evil, pg. 5, it states that the following were responsible for trapping the Old One:

the mad Archmage Zagyg, St. Cuthbert, and the four quasi-deities Heward (the mage-bard), Murlynd (paladin-wizard), Keoghtom (bard-mage) and Kelanen, the Prince of Swords.

It then states:

Why they allied to banish Iuz is unknown; probably, each had his own purpose.

Two questions:

1) I assume that Zagyg imprisioned Iuz to add to his "apotheosis collection" and St. Cuthbert had his reasons (about which there are serious repurcussions, i.e., payback for the greater powers allowing his intersession on Oerth). What about the other four?

2) And did this crew help to imprision just Iuz, or all of the Nine demi-gods?

FL

Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:25 am  
    For example...

Y'all,

One of the trapped demi-gods was Merrika, among other things, the patron of expecting mothers (a species that no one in thier right mind would provoke...wait...Zagig...right mind...OOPS!)

From the Canon:

Merrika-...she was trapped beneath Castle Greyhawk for a time Zagig Yagerene [the human, not the God] but was eventually released by a group of adventurers. She resents chaotic gods and any who would disrupt her work (LGG pp. 176)

It can be inferred that this demi-goddess does not like Zagig [the God] at all. This displeasure could manifest itself through not only the disciples of Merikka, but also through those who view her as a patron, like expectant mothers, and through her sponsor Cyndor (I don't know much about him) and Cyndor's master, the greater power Lendor (and thus through these God's mininons).

Has there been and documented retribution visited upon 1) Zagig & his wacky followers, 2)Friends and associates of Zagig, i.e., Co8 members past and present 3) the four quasi dieities (Heward etc.)

FL

Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:05 pm  

What demi-gods make up the canon nine?
    Scott
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:11 pm  

ScottG wrote:
    What demi-gods make up the canon nine?

I don't think there is one definitive answer to that, but here's what I've found:

According to Erik Mona (so, "canon" for current GH/LG products):

• Merikka
    • Stern Alia
    • Wastri
    • Xilonen
    • Zouken
    • Chitza-Atlan
    • Tlazoteotl
    • Rudd
    • Iuz

Erik's theme is "one god of each alignment.
    Source: The Final Word on Iuz and Company: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=77

According to Rob Kuntz, and confirmed by Gary Gygax (so, "canon" for old school GH products):

• Celestian
    • Erythnul
    • Heironeous
    • Hextor
    • Iuz
    • Obad-hai
    • Olidammara
    • Ralishaz
    • Trithereon

I don't see an immediate pattern to Rob's list, if someone does, or knows Rob's reasoning, feel free to chime in.
    Source: Thus Spake Gary Gygax: Ye Secrets of Oerth Revealed: Oerth Journal issue 12: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=25

Another interesting factoid from that Gygax article. Gary says "...there is some “literary license” there, and the term (DemiGod) should not be regarded as following the rules book in regard to classification of deities.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:29 am  
    Say "Tlazoteotl" three times fast

Fellers,

For the sake of this post, I'm using the Erik Mona list as the line-up of usual suspects. I have an easier time swallowing Zagig [the person/archmage] trapping demi-gods, rather than lesser/intermediate gods, but thats just my preference, like how I perfer pixies over nixies....

If you do consider the Kuntz list, I think that Zagyg [the god] and his followers would find it tough going...Hextor's multi-arm death monkies relentlessly hunting you down for a healthy helping of divine retribution, Olidamarra constantly leaving burning paper sacks of dog poop on the stoop of your manor/villa/temple/looneybin, and worst of all, Ralishaz totally ruining your inter-planar jaunt to Las Vegas....

FL

P.S. ALERT ALERT: CANON INCONSISTANCY...kind of. If you direct your attention to page 35 of the Glossography of ....WoG, you will find a list of who hangs out with who (in the Keoghtom part). This list indicates that Zagyg [the God] hangs with his good pal Celestian...WHAT! [says FL in disbelief] if Zagyg [the man] trapped Celestian, why would Celestian want to do anything but send Zagyg on a long cold trip to Outer Space, or whatever the Greyhawk equivilent is to deep in the middle of nowhere.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: