JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Seekers, Octavus Marius, and Maure Castle
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Seekers, Octavus Marius, and Maure Castle
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:32 am  
    The Seekers, Octavus Marius, and Maure Castle

My PCs are exploring Maure Castle right now, with the added wrinkle that the party's favored soul (of Baervan Wildwanderer) belongs to the Seekers.

What I'm unclear about is whether the Seekers in Maure Castle, currently following Eli Tomorast (sometimes described as "a renegade Seeker") are members in good standing of the Seekers of the Arcane or not.

Arley the Weaver is also mentioned as Octavus Marius' spy in the operation. Marius (NG alignment), described in OJ #26 (I think), is the head of the Seekers, based in Seltaran.

So Marius must know about Eli's return. Does he support him and his activities below the castle? Is Arley just there to watch and learn? Are the Seekers following Eli "renegades" or not? Do they answer to Octavus Marius? How should they react when another Seeker wanders into the dungeon they're guarding?
    GreySage

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:02 am  

It could go either way, honestly. Eli could have betrayed the Seekers, or he could be a renegade only in the eyes of the state. I can't imagine he answers to anyone other than himself, though. I don't see him following orders.
    GreySage

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:51 am  

No, Eli would definitely not take orders, from anyone.

I think Eli as a "fallen" Seeker -- allied with other "disreputable" Seekers -- would make for an interesting back drop.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:05 am  

I'm still rather flummoxed on what Marius' reaction will be if the PCs manage to foil Eli's plans (killing or defeating him) and return to Selteran.

On the one hand, this allows the non-renegade Seekers more access to the old Suloise relics or knowledge thereof from the ruins; on the other hand, Marius' personal man & spy Arley has been killed, and the PC Seeker violated Seeker protocol by attacking other Seekers engaged in a recovery operation.

It seems a little unlikely NG Marius really wants CE Eli's operation to succeed under Eli's control, or that he'd be kosher with summoning Kerzit and sacrificing (even renegade) Seekers to him.

But, again on the other hand, Marius apparently wasn't actively doing anything against Eli's operation either, just watching.
    GreySage

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:28 am  

edmundscott wrote:
    I'm still rather flummoxed on what Marius' reaction will be if the PCs manage to foil Eli's plans (killing or defeating him) and return to Selteran.

As you already pointed out: How do you know Marius doesn't want Eli's plans foiled?

edmundscott wrote:
    On the one hand, this allows the non-renegade Seekers more access to the old Suloise relics or knowledge thereof from the ruins . . .

Marius represents an Organization, not individuals. This will always be his first concern; access for the organization as a whole.

edmundscott wrote:
    . . . on the other hand, Marius' personal man & spy Arley has been killed, and the PC Seeker violated Seeker protocol by attacking other Seekers engaged in a recovery operation.

Was it -- is it -- necessary for the PC Seeker(s) to kill Arley? As for "protocol," renegade Seekers would not be working in -- or towards -- the best interest of the organization. Marius is Neutral, not Lawful, and could therefore view the removal of these outcasts as a "Good" thing for the Seekers as a whole.

edmundscott wrote:
    It seems a little unlikely NG Marius really wants CE Eli's operation to succeed under Eli's control, or that he'd be kosher with summoning Kerzit and sacrificing (even renegade) Seekers to him.

Extremely unlikely, thus justifying much of the action taken by the PC(s).

edmundscott wrote:
    But, again on the other hand, Marius apparently wasn't actively doing anything against Eli's operation either, just watching.

And who says that the PC Seeker/s isn't/aren't Marius' agent in all of this? Only the DM and the PC Seeker(s) would know for sure.

Well, those two and . . . The Shadow! Evil Grin

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: