Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Using Midnight Darkness?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Using Midnight Darkness?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:49 am  
    Using Midnight Darkness?

Hello.

I'm looking for ideas how to use Midnight Darkness (See Ivid the Undying) in my games (Around 590cy). My plan is to use them in Ahlissa where their goal is to sabotage it's dealings with other nations by murdering merchants, etc. The especially hate people from Sunndi, being part of a 'rebel county' and all that (obviously they want Great Kingdom reborn).

Do you think it could work and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:13 pm  
    Midnight Darkness

Midnight Darkness is a great evil vigilante group presenting long term villainy for your Players to oppose (or always look over their shoulder for).

One noteable operation they could be behind is to assassinate the paladin ruler of Castle Goldbolt and his giant companion. Another plan is to wipe out the last remenents of goodly aligned folk, such as in the Adri Forest or the Lone Heath.

Attacking citizens of rival nations is a branching out of sorts for this group, as before they have concentrated within the Great Kingdom proper. Although Sunndi is a very likely target as it is considered to be part of the Great Kingdom for Midnight Darkness' purposes. Irongate would be another logical expansion. Any targets of Midnight Darkness would likely be good aligned or allied to those who are good. Elves and dwarves, being generally good beings, are fair game.

A morbid competition between Scarlet Brotherhood assassins and Midnight Darkness could generate out of these ideas.

O-D
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:38 pm  

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend making Midnight Darkness-or Graf Reydrich, for that matter-puppets of the SB, as one author had done. I would recommend you play Midnight Darkness as racist, oppressive, monarchist, and cruel. Their main goal is to preserve "Aerdy for the Aerdi" by maintaining the purity of Aerdy's noble culture and assassinating anyone, good or evil, that they see as interfering with it. They'd be just as likely to cooperate with House Cranden as House Naelax in the defense of Aerdy culture, and can just as easily assassinate those in other evil nations as those who might work in other good countries. Working to strengthen Ahlissa's economic grip on Nyrond, Sunndi, Greyhawk, or Northern Aerdy is something they could do.

And if Nyrond, Sunndi, Greyhawk or Northern Aerdy attempt any skulduggery of their own, then Midnight Darkness can pay them back in blood. In short, Mdnight Darkness is a bunch of hyper-nationalists and hyper-royalists. Kill and oppress demihumans, democrats, foreigners, those Aerdi who consort with foreigners, mantain serfdom, and kill anyone who gets too far out of line in defying Ahlissa. Sunndi is planning an invasion of Ahlissan ports on the Grayflood? Punish them. Nyrond not lowering its tariffs enough to enrich Aerdi merchants? Punish them. An Aerdi noble married an elven woman? Kill the elf and slowly torture and maim the husband-polluting the Aerdi stock with foreign blood is the worst crime of all.

And for the record, I think that Sunndi is just as ready to pull underhanded dealings, launch invasions and raids, or what have you when it needs to. Sunndians may be nice to each other and their kingdom a great place to live, but in the realpolitik scene that is the Flanaess, they have to be ready to protect their interests. They just won't go as far as many evil countries would, and would show at least a little consideration for how their actions might affect foreigners...just as long as they don't end up suffering too badly for it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:32 am  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    Frankly, I wouldn't recommend making Midnight Darkness-or Graf Reydrich, for that matter-puppets of the SB, as one author had done. I would recommend you play Midnight Darkness as racist, oppressive, monarchist, and cruel. Their main goal is to preserve "Aerdy for the Aerdi" by maintaining the purity of Aerdy's noble culture and assassinating anyone, good or evil, that they see as interfering with it.

Yep, sort of Neo-Nazi type guys that I envisioned them to be. I must also take into account that my players might actually want to join that organisation:)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: