JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - GH History in the Making
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    GH History in the Making
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:47 pm  
    GH History in the Making

I must take this opportunity to once again call to everyone’s attention the milestone that is being marked with the release of the second part of the Dungeon Map of the Flanaess. This is gaming history. This is Greyhawk’s real world history that is being made, and which adds not a little cachet to the setting.

Eric Mona is achieving what only EGG and Sargent have to date achieved – the complete definition of the World of Greyhawk. Of course, Erik is not done, which can only be exciting. But as the history of the setting, real and in the game, unfolds, it is appropriate to recognize what is happening. It is like being present for any event of moment. One may stare blankly or one may understand that they are witness to history that others will only hear tell about at some future point.

What gives this particular event, in part, so much resonance is that Erik has been so open and welcoming of others’ participation in achieving this milestone. Erik has and continues to not merely welcome but solicit input. In the Greychats every Thursday, in online forums, via email or through submissions to Dragon and Dungeon, Erik is variously available. If you the Greyhawker do not feel a part of this event, you have none to fault for that but yourself, and you can still get in on the action, as it were.

Where EGG and Sargent labored alone, Mona is working to be inclusive. Part of this is of necessity but not all of this. Mona could be far more selective of his inputs but is remarkably open to Greyhawkers and would be Greyhawkers. In his place, I would not be so generous.

This is history and it is our history, in our time of which we may be a conscious part. I, for one, celebrate this, and congratulate Mr. Erik Mona. Gygax. Sargent. Mona. The torch is passed.

NS

Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:14 am  

I think the map is marvelous; the best we've ever had. I'm just a bit disappointed that some realms that have a wealth of LGG information have been left largely empty (especially the Baklunish realms and Perrenland) Sad An opportunity to expand on these regions and make some decent LGG into official canon has been missed.

However, I think a good way around this is if the powers that be could produce a couple of sheets of clear stickers with the logos for towns, villages, dungeons etc and we can stick the locations on the map ourselves! Smile

Even better would be if they could produce various stickers with the printed names of the main LGG locations and/or a list of the approximate hex locations!

I'm almost certainly going to buy my own clear inkjet stickers with a view to doing this myself at some point in the future. However, if the guys are really listening, the Triads are willing to provide the names and locations, and enough of us want it - what do you think the odds are?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:59 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    I think the map is marvelous; the best we've ever had. I'm just a bit disappointed that some realms that have a wealth of LGG information have been left largely empty (especially the Baklunish realms and Perrenland) Sad An opportunity to expand on these regions and make some decent LGG into official canon has been missed.

I don't know if our Triad submitted information about our locations. Erik's agents were scrounging the LG lists for Triad information and I quess in this case some regions were again more active than others.

Don't know if our Triad managed to submit anything, us being quite a new region. However, once the relevant area becomes available (third section most likely) I see no problem why you could not add larger towns of our region to your map (retroactively though).

http://www.thesplinteredsun.info/naerie/geography2.html

The map is expanded as the region develops.

S.H, Ahlissa (Naerie) webslave
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:37 am  
    LG

I don't know if the purpose of the map was to support living greyhawk, so much as to provide a "close to canon," revised map. As has been discussed at length in various forums, LG has produced some outstanding material; and some which, well, lets just say it isn't outstanding.

I love the idea, though of each triad providing a map counter page. If it could be in PDF, printable to clear film, i think several companies make such in sticker form.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:02 am  

I can well believe that preparing the map was a logistical nightmare! I think it's great - but who renamed the Tomb of Tzunk's Hands? Did they think we woudln't notice!! Laughing Nice try guys.

Actually I wasn't even smart enough to consider that each Triad could produce a PDF list for printing. That would really be the path of least resistance if they were willing to do it! What a kewl idea.

The Naerie site is good, and I have stolen the info from the site for my own personal gazeteer Embarassed . I'm not sure if there have been any recent updates though, but it is a nightmare keeping up with them when I haven't even done the basics on a lot of regions yet! I'm currently updating Zeif from the LGG gazeteer, which I ordered from Paizo.

Kudos for using Braggi's map guys. He's been a real help to me as well and I'll be using his maps as inserts in my gazeteer itself. Sadly, I've ripped off so much copyrighted material that the finished gazeteer (if I live that long) must be for my personal use only!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:10 am  

PaulN6 wrote:

The Naerie site is good, and I have stolen the info from the site for my own personal gazeteer Embarassed . I'm not sure if there have been any recent updates though

No major updates because the material is still being prepared. The first draft of the Gazetteer with lots of new information (places, NPCs, conflicts & intrigues suggestions for authors, etc) might be ready this weekend, but of course before it can be published Triad has to go over it couple of times before meta-regional coordinator takes a look.

Afterwards i'll probably ask some people with more canon knowledge to take a look and then it again has to be sent to triad/meta-region coordinator before it get's published if there are any big changes Happy

If you visit Scandinavia, do come and try our regional modules. This year we should get out all 8 modules and one meta-regional will probably happen in Naerie as well. The page with details of retired modules (one so far Smile ) will be uploaded as soon as Triad gives greenlight to a write-up about it's campaign consequences.

And what's a Braggi's map? I don't deal with regional map so.....

Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:22 am  

[/quote]The first draft of the Gazetteer with lots of new information (places, NPCs, conflicts & intrigues suggestions for authors, etc) might be ready this weekend, but of course before it can be published Triad has to go over it couple of times before meta-regional coordinator takes a look.[/quote]

Sounds groovy.

[/quote]And what's a Braggi's map? I don't deal with regional map so.....[/quote]

Braggi is the mapmaker whose unmistakable style graces your website. He has maps for every occasion!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:55 am  

The plan is to have finished gazetteer out by march. We have no intention of rushing out with a half-finished product, so check it out in couple of months.

Cheers.

Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:18 am  

Excellent stuff.

So, going back to the main issue of LGG locations generally, do u think we need to contact the Triads of the regions in the first quadrant to see if anybody is willing to come up with a list? How do we go about that?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:51 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    Excellent stuff.

So, going back to the main issue of LGG locations generally, do u think we need to contact the Triads of the regions in the first quadrant to see if anybody is willing to come up with a list? How do we go about that?

Erik Mona was explaining things about locations here: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=359082

However, I think the best way to get knowledge on these locations is by going to regions discussion groups or contacting Triad and asking about them. I expect most regions to have few lines of information about each place if nothing else.

Two locations in first quadrant are from LG or i've just missed supplements where they are featured:

Folly = town build by Zagyg to rival Greyhawk. Full of weird architechture, things that don't make sense and magic galore. There is actually a round floating museum with many ancient artifacts and magic items in it, such as Collar of Tusmit. Appears in COR3-19 Folly, so it's no longer available. See if your friend has a copy.

Tomb of Yagrax hands = COR3-09 Sepulcher of the Wizard King. Place where mage lord Yagrax's hands were placed after he was deposed from his throne (in Isles of Woe) and his body hacked to pieces. Place with many constructs and golems who guard it. Hands are located in sealed Cold Iron chest and should anyone release them, he will be cursed by them and must carry the chest around him or have the hands (spectral) crawl constantly over him, imposing a hefty penalty on pretty much everything he does.

As with Folly, no longer available.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:40 pm  

[quote="PaulN6"]I can well believe that preparing the map was a logistical nightmare! I think it's great - but who renamed the Tomb of Tzunk's Hands? Did they think we woudln't notice!! Laughing Nice try guys.
    [/quote

Hmmm, I guess that would be... ummm... me. ;-)

The Tomb of Tzunk's Hands first appeared as an entry in Iuz the Evil. Unfortunately it was an error that was not caught in editing. If you read the entry, Sargent was clearly referring to the Wizard Priest of the Isles of Woe, which was NOT Tzunk, but Yagrax. Over the years I've made it a mission to straighten out all the misinformation about Tzunk, Yagrax, Woe, and the Codex. Sargent made the first error, however Moore (and after that, others) compounded it by propagating that error and adding loads more errors.

Alas, when the LG Circle began the whole Isles of Woe series, they wrote the first mod without having their facts checked (and I did offer my services, although they chose not to use them). When I finally saw the first mod, I corrected them, but not in time for its release. To their credit, they DID use my corrected information in all subsequent mods in that series, hence the LG mod featuring the (correct) Tomb of Yagrax's Hands that Simpi mentioned.

You can read about the history of the Isles of Woe misinformation (and the correct information) on my Woe webpage at http://melkot.com/mysteries/woe.html

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    ========================
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    New Spells, Magic Items, Notoriety, Artifacts, Kyuss, secrets of the
    Twin Cataclysms, the Dreadwood, the cities of Melkot, Greyhawk and
    Irongate, and much, much more!!
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:17 am  

Marvellous! Thanks Maldin!

Mind you, I mustn't be too anal about it. Real life historians get their facts wrong, why should Oerth historians (excluding, of course, the renowned Pluffet Smedger the Elder) be any different?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: