Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:54 am  
Greyhacking Continues in the Nutherwood (N2)

Part III.

I have not posted in Canonfire for a long time. Having recently retired from the Reserves, I have some free time back. Regular Greytalk had to do because all I had to do was keep track of a mailing list. A web-based forum such as this actually takes more time. Anyway, previously on Greytalk and also at Kenzerco...

It was established in prior messages to use N2 in its non-Canon location.

-------- Previous Week Unreported --------

The party stayed overnight at the Wildwood Inn and heard the standard rumors.

During the night they also the get raided by the Were-rats according to the script. The wererats were soundly defeated. The Half-Ogre of the party smashes a few walls down in the process and the party ends up paying for repairs. One Were-rat fled and the party did not follow up.

The party moves on with no random encounters until the tunnel entrance. While in the old dwarven tunnel the "breeze" clue provided for in the module is too good a clue to pass up, so they ignore all the side passages along the way. I even sent the half-insane dwarf AFTER them to investigate.

The ubiquitious comic book store closed last Sunday in the middle of the Orc encounter below and I picked it up last night.

-------- This Week --------

Anyway the party handily dispatches the twenty-something Orcs that occupy the far end of the tunnel. I had even upgraded them to 2 hit die Slaver Orcs to no avail. It looks like I'll need to upgrade all the encounters in N2 to cause some decent damage to this Munchkinized party.

At least the magic items in the Orc's treasure were random, the party thinks that a Potion of Giant Control, a Scroll of Protection from Undead and a Scroll of protection from Were-Tigers have something to do with the current adventure. Well maybe the Tigers for Wandering Monster encounter #19. I'll have to pick that one out on purpose next week. (What? Sorry they were regular Tigers. I'll even show them the page they're after it's over.)

They finally did a good thing and rescued the Dryad's tree from the four regular Orcs on the other side, gaining some goodwill from the forest inhabitants. They'll need it from the prior posting.

About the only item of true fun was the V-shaped rope bridge over the river. I had the party make dexterity checks and the only one that failed fell in with plate armor. So he sank instead of being washed downstream. The Half-Ogre member of the party did a cannonball and rescued him. (I should have had a monster in the river?)

They be-bopped down the Old Wilderness Road until they got to the Castle Karn and then the Comic book store closed again.

----

Queries:

Castle Karn seems a bit simple for these Munchkins. I'm looking for upgrades to the various areas with my thoughts below:

Area A. The Rusted Drawbridge.

Should I add a Rust Monster? Or would that interfere with the Goblins that inhabit the place?

Area B. The Shed and Rot Grubs.

O.K. they haven't encountered Rot Grubs before. I'll probably leave that alone or should I Upgrade to Hackmaster Candy-Striped Rot Grubs?

Area C. Empty. Goblin Leader's areas.

Perhaps I should add a trap on the stairs and upgrade the chest trap? A 20-foot fall looks good.

Area D. The Worg shed. The Worgs are out according to the script.

Perhaps I should add fleas and ticks?

Area E. Two female prisoners.

Should I keep them as is or should something be wrong with them?

Area F. Goblin barracks.

Another trap?

Area G. Storage room with skinned deer hanging.

More disease?

Area H. Large jars of coins and Giant Rats.

Upgrade the Rats? Relatives of the Were-Rats defeated at the Wildwood Inn earlier looking for revenge? The Bag of Transmuting seems the only good thought in the orignal.