JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Images of Greyhawk gods
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Images of Greyhawk gods
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:24 pm  
    Images of Greyhawk gods

Would anyone know where I could find images of all the Greyhawk gods, demigods and lesser powers. A public domain source would be great or if someone wants to contact me, just PM.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:12 pm  

All of them?!!! Who on oerth would undertake such an ambitious project! Just kidding. Laughing It is a very ambitious project and DMPrata is in the process of putting together such a thing right now. It is my understanding that it will be available for download.
    CF Admin

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:29 pm  
    Bastard Greyhawk

Rob has some images on his Bastard Greyhawk site. Check out his Deities page HERE and click on a few of the links inside of the text.

Wizards of the Coast's contemporary Deities & Demigods has pictures of the core gods, too.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:39 pm  

Wolfsire wrote:
    All of them?!!! Who on oerth would undertake such an ambitious project! Just kidding. Laughing It is a very ambitious project and DMPrata is in the process of putting together such a thing right now. It is my understanding that it will be available for download.

Indeed, I have thusfar compiled illustrations for about 150 of 200 deities. If anybody is in a position to contribute some of the missing ones, please see this thread at Dragonsfoot.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:23 pm  
    Very nice data sets

Thanks for those links, the illos are great. I hope for the db being constructed that the descriptions will go together in one lovely PDF document, as I longed for a day that I would keep my be able to out torn out Dragon Magazine Gods page.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:22 pm  
    Re: Very nice data sets

kafka wrote:
    I hope for the db being constructed that the descriptions will go together in one lovely PDF document...

Yep, that's the plan. It's looking to be a lovely 1000-page document at this point. Shocked

kafka wrote:
    ...as I longed for a day that I would keep my be able to out torn out Dragon Magazine Gods page.

I have no idea what this means.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:56 am  
    Re: Very nice data sets

DMPrata wrote:
    kafka wrote:
    ka"]...as I longed for a day that I would keep my be able to out torn out Dragon Magazine Gods page.

I have no idea what this means.

Well, I have kept my original Dragon magazine features of Greyhawk Deities and Demigods in a three ring binder. They are started to look a little faded and would need a refreshed look that I have seen grace some of the 3.5 line
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:18 pm  

DMPrata will you drop me a line when the whole project is complete. BTW, is this a labour of love or a commercial product which I would have no problem forking over ten bucks or so for your effort.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:39 pm  

kafka wrote:
    DMPrata will you drop me a line when the whole project is complete. BTW, is this a labour of love or a commercial product which I would have no problem forking over ten bucks or so for your effort.

Happy While I would love to be compensated for the months of work, if I tried to make any money from it, Wizbro would be all over me for copyright infringement. Alas, the Deitybase must remain a "labour of love," as you put it. Sad I hope to be finished by April or May (illustrations permitting) and will certainly post a link to the 1000+ page document here.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:51 am  

The Greyhawk Webcomic (esp the deities section) is a not to be overlooked source!

DMPrata I just skimmed the thread at Dragonsfoot, but i didn't find any mention of the old Dragon articles. There are a lot of very nice pics of many gods in Dragon. Check out R.Richards Greyhawk in Dragon index for which gods were covered. I believe all of them had pics in the articles too. Most of them can be found in the Dragon Archive CDs and I have scanned many of the newer ones (Oeridian gods from Dragon 260ish). Let me know if you need any more info or those scans. (I haven't got an account over on Dragonsfoot and am loathe to dig through the 9 pages thread to see if you already have them though...)

Last edited by Thanael on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:56 am  

Polyhedron's Powers that Be articles cover some more gods. Check out this index here. Among them Boccob, St.Cuthbert, Procan, Xan Yae, Cyndor. (And possibly two more though i don't know which.) I have all of those listed above so if you need scan let me know.

Dragon #294 has pictures of Iuz, Pholtus, Rao, and Tharizdun.

And for Vecna, I quite like the Cover of the Vecna: Hand of the Revenant Comic Though his appearance has changed with editions. I believe Bastard Greyhawk has several images of his.

Oerth Journal has a few Gods articles too, among them Norebo which afair has also a picture of the Dare Devil.

You're including Demon Lords et al too right? There a very nice pic of Koschtschie on the cover of Dragon #119

Newer Dragons had more Demon lords of course: Fraz Urbluu, Pazuzu, Zuggtmoy (new look!), ... not sure which other ones.

The Suel deities list from Dragonsfoot mag #6 lists the vestments of many god's priests, which could help flesh out some details for the gods themselves in some cases. (I.e. perhaps Phaulkon too wears a feather cap, like his priests.)

Great Project btw!!
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:52 pm  

Thanael wrote:
    The Greyhawk Webcomic (esp the deities section) is a not to be overlooked source!

DMPrata I just skimmed the thread at Dragonsfoot, but i didn't find any mention of the old Dragon articles. There are a lot of very nice pics of many gods in Dragon. Check out R.Richards Greyhawk in Dragon index for which gods were covered. I believe all of them had pics in the articles too. Most of them can be found in the Dragon Archive CDs and I have scanned many of the newer ones (Oeridian gods from Dragon 260ish). Let me know if you need any more info or those scans. (I haven't got an account over on Dragonsfoot and am loathe to dig through the 9 pages thread to see if you already have them though...)

The original DRAGON® articles were my first (and best) source. The first page of my thread at Dragonsfoot lists the 40–50 deities for whom I still need images. They're generally some of the more obscure ones, not Heironeous & Co.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:02 pm  

Thanael wrote:
    Polyhedron's Powers that Be articles cover some more gods. Check out this index here. Among them Boccob, St.Cuthbert, Procan, Xan Yae, Cyndor. (And possibly two more though i don't know which.) I have all of those listed above so if you need scan let me know.

If Procan and Cyndor include illustrations, send 'em my way — "my name" at cox dot net. (Heck, I'll take info on Cyndor even without an illustration.) The others were well covered in the Glossography.

Thanael wrote:
    Dragon #294 has pictures of Iuz, Pholtus, Rao, and Tharizdun.

I have the Rao and Tharizdun pics, and used Iuz and Pholtus from the above-mentioned DRAGON® articles.

Thanael wrote:
    And for Vecna, I quite like the Cover of the Vecna: Hand of the Revenant Comic Though his appearance has changed with editions. I believe Bastard Greyhawk has several images of his.

I used an image from Die Vecna Die!.

Thanael wrote:
    Oerth Journal has a few Gods articles too, among them Norebo which afair has also a picture of the Dare Devil.

Again, I used the original DRAGON® illustration.

Thanael wrote:
    You're including Demon Lords et al too right? There a very nice pic of Koschtschie on the cover of Dragon #119

Newer Dragons had more Demon lords of course: Fraz Urbluu, Pazuzu, Zuggtmoy (new look!), ... not sure which other ones.

I'm including some demon lords, where there is evidence of them granting spells to worshipers on Oerth. Kostchtchie and Pazuzu I took from Monster Manual II. I found no reference to Fraz having priests, and I don't recognize Zuggtmoy as a true deity. (She was merely channeling power from the EEG.)

Thanael wrote:
    The Suel deities list from Dragonsfoot mag #6 lists the vestments of many god's priests, which could help flesh out some details for the gods themselves in some cases. (I.e. perhaps Phaulkon too wears a feather cap, like his priests.)

Great Project btw!!

Yeah, well... I had that material from Len before it appeared in Footprints. (I actually had to point out an error in Akwamon's alignment to him.) Cool
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:58 am  

DMPrata wrote:
    Thanael wrote:

If Procan and Cyndor include illustrations, send 'em my way — "my name" at cox dot net. (Heck, I'll take info on Cyndor even without an illustration.) The others were well covered in the Glossography.

Email is on the way.

Quote:
    Thanael wrote:

I'm including some demon lords, where there is evidence of them granting spells to worshipers on Oerth. Kostchtchie and Pazuzu I took from Monster Manual II. I found no reference to Fraz having priests, and I don't recognize Zuggtmoy as a true deity. (She was merely channeling power from the EEG.)

While the pictures fom the old MM2 are ok, the Dragon 119 cover with Kostchstchie rocks! It's one of my favorite pieces of RPG art.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: