Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Ages - my oh my where does the time go?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Ages - my oh my where does the time go?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:17 am  
    Ages - my oh my where does the time go?

The Age of Worms suggests that many Ages have come and gone and will come again. This cyclical view of time is most intriguing has anyone run campaigns in other Ages? Also, if we are to forecast the future what Ages will come afterward?
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:39 pm  

Well for those who don't have the AP's the 1st AoW mod, Whispering Cairn mentions at the outset about the Age of Glory, the Age of Dreams, and the Age of Great Sorrow. These we must assume already occured. The AoGS is well recorded in 213CY. The AoGlory I have heard of too, but I can't pin it down. The Age of Dreams I have no clue. Now the 83 Glossography also mentions that the Savant Sage lived in the EPOCH of Magic. I wonder what time span an Age is compared to an Epoch. Does the EoM encompass the aforementioned ages for instance? And if there is an EoM, then in the time of Smedger in 998 CY its the Epoch of what? It is all very speculative and interesting to me. Only Cyndor knows for sure.
    GreySage

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:28 pm  

The Age of Glory was the heyday of the Suel and Baklunish empires, I believe. The Age of Dreams is the mythic time before that.

The Oerth Journal #1 timeline refers to the Epoch of Myth and Epoch of Legend, which I would group together as the Age of Dreams.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:20 pm  

I have always seen "Age" and "Epoch" as inexact terms used more for convenience, depending on the speaker, than exact chronological demarcations that everyone agrees upon. I hope Oerth does not inherit a "canon" list of Ages and Epochs tied to particular dates. Such suggests more uniformity in communication, culture and civilization than I like to imagine exists on Oerth.

I despise the Realms "Year of the . . ." as if all time is know and agreed upon by everyone. For me it robs a setting of spontaneity and a greater sense of wonder. It is too scientific, I think.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: