JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Maidenheim
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Maidenheim
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:43 am  
    Maidenheim

Amongst the different forums on the web, I have found a lively discussion about a PDF product called Maidenheim, as anyone bought it and would it make a useful addition for Hardby or the Elven kingdoms of yore.

I was thinking one of things that Greyhawk is sorely lacking, save in the TSR Gygax novels is women. We have a few scattered articles that try to present them in santized roles like the Dungeon/Oerth journal articles on Hardby.

What I am looking for is a real Sword & Sorcery protrayal akin to what inspires me when I look at a Boris Vallejo, and most of the artwork of late does not live up to that. Heck even dragonlance had more
    Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:18 am  

Dragonlance was a perfect ensemble casting for a fantasy novel. It is Lord of the Rings with women in the Fellowship basically. Greyhawk unfortunately was a setting before a novel unlike DL. The women are still there, you just have to know where to look. Yes the artwork down the years doesn't present them forward like Elmore did for his females in DL, but I can think of a few female Greyhawk characters that were illustrated just fine, even if they are obscure to locate. Drelzna daughter of Iggwilv in Lost Cavern of Tsojcanth is striking in her sleeping pose. Speaking of Iggwilv, she recently stepped out of the shadows and isn't quite a crone but a powerful seducer of Demon Princes on the cover of Dungeon magazine, which does try hard to portray females in prominent GH roles. Jallarzi Sallavarian is depicted in a few 2E products, none in color I don't think. Countess Katarina of the Shield Lands I think may have been illustrated for Dungeon. A strong knightly female character. Queen Yolande in the LGG. Alot of female personalities in Greyhawk are deific too. Mayahein, Rudd, Wee Jas, Xan Yae...then there is the unpictured but definitely historical females of GH like Johydee or Queen Ehlissa. So yeah I hear what you are saying. The females are there in Greyhawk they just aren't 'cover art girls' most of the time and get buried by everything else.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:22 pm  
    Re: Maidenheim

kafka wrote:
    We have a few scattered articles that try to present them in santized roles like the Dungeon/Oerth journal articles on Hardby.

Burying rapists to the neck below the high water mark on a beach is sanitised? Smile

For readers who haven't seen the City of the Scorned article in Dungeon - that's the punishment for rape in Hardby - after they've been castrated first, of course.

Hell hath no fury...

P.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: