JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Photomanips
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Photomanips
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:27 pm  
    Photomanips

I am a big fan of photo realistic artwork like that of an Vallejo, Elmore or Clyde Caldwell. Are there any other artists out there who do something similar with Galleries on the web.

Also, I am seeking sites that might have photomanip (photo manipulation) with a Sword & Sorcery (Sorceress) theme...
    GreySage

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:10 pm  
    Re: Photomanips

kafka wrote:
    I am a big fan of photo realistic artwork like that of an Vallejo, Elmore or Clyde Caldwell.

None of those artists are really "photorealistic" - they're all very "painterly," in fact.

Vallejo works directly from photographs he takes of buff naked people, but he still rarely tries to hide his brushstrokes, or to make his paintings look like photographs someone took. Quite the opposite - he embraces the artificiality, at least in his fantasy-themed works.

All three artists are realistic, but I wouldn't call them photorealistic. Their paintings look like paintings, which disqualifies them from that category.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:34 pm  

Still, compared to Elmore and Caldwell, Vallejo IS photorealistic. He makes them look downright comicbookish artwise. I think kafka means well composed realistic art as opposed to sketchy-airy fantasy like D'Terlizzi or Rebecca Guay. I've seen people complain about some WotC artists being too anime-ish as well.

As for photomanip galleries, i dunno try searches at elfwood or deviantart.
    CF Admin

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:50 pm  

(off topic) Brom rules!

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:20 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Still, compared to Elmore and Caldwell, Vallejo IS photorealistic. He makes them look downright comicbookish artwise.

He's more realistic than they are, but Photorealism was a specific Modernist art movement that Vallejo wasn't part of. Chuck Close, Gerhard Richter - those guys were Photorealists. Vallejo doesn't try to paint like them.

Sorry, I've gotta do something with all the art history classes I took.
    Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:04 pm  

Amen there.

Frazetta is another of Vallejo's type. I saw a documentary on Frazetta once, he had a stroke or something so he taught himself how to paint with his other hand. That is inspiring.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:50 pm  

Ya, its called "Frazetta: Painting with Fire" and it was pretty inspiring...I saw it this last summer on Sundance, or was it IFC?...
    Kwint
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: