JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Flanaess of the Sheldomar Millenium
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    The Flanaess of the Sheldomar Millenium
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:07 am  
    The Flanaess of the Sheldomar Millenium

Interesting article samwise, but I just can't buy it.

The Shining Horde: Fine, however given their anti-humanoid stance the Wolf Nomads are much more likely to join a resurgent west then flee their homeland. (needed them to destory the soul husks)

Keoland: Always advocated Keoland Hegemony, acceptable but I doubt they would ignore the peril in Old Ferrond.

Old Ferrond: (Main Western Problem) Turrosh Mak & Iuz alliance makes no sense; Iuz death,what about his Soul Gem?

As for the Underdark highway, not to mention the religious and racial problems for Mak to abandon his "empire" in the Pomarj ally with Iuz to attack Furyondy and Veluna. Finally after Iuz assassination the remains of Iuz's empire and Mak's horde cooperate and makes nice gains a cease fire with its neighbors, breeds legions of troops, between the new LG/LN Shining Horde and an aggressive Keoland, who do nothing?

In the East: Uber-Pale, your anti-Nyrond feeling is pretty clear as it is quickly divided (UKA, Pale & Urnst) but then the fanatical though small army given it's foes, the pale goes on a spree that would make hitler proud invading and occupying (Nyrond, Tenha, Bone March & NK).

How they hold this is unclear, given the area and size of the forces, and its pretty clear given the fact that they have reached an agreement with Herectical Hetorian Naelax nobles, Undead Drax and corrupt UKA nobles, the religious faith of the Pale is out the window.

Alain is alive; does no one stay dead, guess the uncivilized barbarians need someone to help them conquer Stonehold but isn't it funny the newly returned Alain isn't concerned about the Hyperactive Pale Empire encircling Ratik.

Sorry sam; the mass orc migration/alliance Old Ferrond Empire and the Blitzkrieg Uber-Pale in the East; is for me just to hard too swallow.

Interesting though Wink
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:09 pm  
    Re: The Flanaess of the Sheldomar Millenium

Crag wrote:
    Interesting article samwise, but I just can't buy it.

The Shining Horde: Fine, however given their anti-humanoid stance the Wolf Nomads are much more likely to join a resurgent west then flee their homeland. (needed them to destory the soul husks)

The Wolf Nomads flee because the Shining Horde is all Lawful. Its an alignment issue.

Quote:
    Keoland: Always advocated Keoland Hegemony, acceptable but I doubt they would ignore the peril in Old Ferrond.

They don't ignore the peril, they simply can't do anything about it.

Quote:
    Old Ferrond: (Main Western Problem) Turrosh Mak & Iuz alliance makes no sense; Iuz death,what about his Soul Gem?

To a certain degree, it isn't supposed to make sense. The subtext is supposed to be that someone has set Iuz up big time. He practically walks into his own doom.
    As for his Soul Gem, I'd forgetten that. I guess Iuz gets to survive as a major demon off in the Abyss.

Quote:
    As for the Underdark highway, not to mention the religious and racial problems for Mak to abandon his "empire" in the Pomarj ally with Iuz to attack Furyondy and Veluna.

The underdark highway is established, check the Hateful War references.
    The religious issues are "self-resolved" by my other essay regarding the Thundering Horde. To wit, the Velverdyva is the "original original" homeland of the humanoids in the Flanaess.
    The racial problems are why Turrosh Mak only takes the orcs and goblinoids, and leaves the rest to die horribly as rearguard.

Quote:
    Finally after Iuz assassination the remains of Iuz's empire and Mak's horde cooperate and makes nice gains a cease fire with its neighbors, breeds legions of troops, between the new LG/LN Shining Horde and an aggressive Keoland, who do nothing?

The Shining Horde is overextended absorbing the Baklunish and fighting in Ull and the Dry Steppes.
    Keoland is avoiding fighting in the Velverdyva due to lingering issues over the last time they invaded (the Short War), and the war to destroy the Scarlet Brotherhood.
    Both are somewhat constrained by mistrust, as Keoland isn't sure they can trust the Shining Horde to transit Bissel, and the Shining Horde isn't too thrilled with Keoland not following a sufficiently Lawful path.

Quote:
    In the East: Uber-Pale, your anti-Nyrond feeling is pretty clear as it is quickly divided (UKA, Pale & Urnst) but then the fanatical though small army given it's foes, the pale goes on a spree that would make hitler proud invading and occupying (Nyrond, Tenha, Bone March & NK).

Well yeah. I'm not going to try and pretend I don't have anti-Nyrond issues.

Quote:
    How they hold this is unclear, given the area and size of the forces, and its pretty clear given the fact that they have reached an agreement with Herectical Hetorian Naelax nobles, Undead Drax and corrupt UKA nobles, the religious faith of the Pale is out the window.

Fanaticism, mass slaughter of the old upper classes, and extreme disgust for said upper classes among the lower classes leading them to accept any change in rulership, even if it comes with theocratic dictatorship.

Quote:
    Alain is alive; does no one stay dead, guess the uncivilized barbarians need someone to help them conquer Stonehold but isn't it funny the newly returned Alain isn't concerned about the Hyperactive Pale Empire encircling Ratik.

He is. He is very concerned with it. Virtually all of his efforts are directed to making sure his barbarian allies stay allied to keep the Pale from swarming north. Fortunately, the Pale is obnoxious enough to make that easy.

Quote:
    Sorry sam; the mass orc migration/alliance Old Ferrond Empire and the Blitzkrieg Uber-Pale in the East; is for me just to hard too swallow.

Interesting though Wink

It's supposed to be radically different, that was the whole point. As I said, I wanted to throw as much as I could on its head just because it was there. I think I achieved that. Cool
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:10 am  

Crag wrote:
    As for the Underdark highway, not to mention the religious and racial problems for Mak to abandon his "empire" in the Pomarj ally with Iuz to attack Furyondy and Veluna. Finally after Iuz assassination the remains of Iuz's empire and Mak's horde cooperate and makes nice gains a cease fire with its neighbors, breeds legions of troops, between the new LG/LN Shining Horde and an aggressive Keoland, who do nothing?

Keoland do nothing? This is not surprising. If nothing else, Sam does have the Keoish modus operandi down. Wink Geoff falls, Sterich is torn asunder, the Yeomanry fight alone, the Duchy of Ulek loses a huge portion of its lands… there's not much benefit in being an ally of Keoland during the Greyhawk Wars. Keoland has a very up and down record on expansion and contraction of their imperialistic influence; at one time their influence expands rapidly, while at to others it dwindles. This is usually keyed to the unification of the country under a strong ruler or to dissolution and infighting. Keoland is most Greek in nature.

The Shining Horde makes me cringe slightly, as do most things that more than vaguely hint at resembling anything having a basis in real world history. The Iuz/Mak alliance seems odd, mainly due to the Scarlet Brotherhood influence in the Pomarj, but then again an opportunity to crush the central powers of Weal might just be too tempting. To get there though the Mak would have to crush the Safeton Forces and blast its way through Dyvers and the Greyhawk Protectorate, and would have to deal with harassment from Celene and the dwellers in the Gnarley Forest and the Welkwood; not to mention the Ulek states seeking to take advantage of the situation too (even though Keoland isn’t likely to help the Duchy of Ulek at such an opportune time). That seems like too much to take on when Iuz can exert no pressure upon those southern powers, having his hands full with Furyondy, Veluna, the Shield lands, Highfolk, and rebellious scum in the Bandit Kingdoms.

There are some good ideas in there certainly.

P.S.: BLOODY HERETIC!!! Wink
    Master Greytalker

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:43 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Keoland has a very up and down record on expansion and contraction of their imperialistic influence; at one time their influence expands rapidly, while at to others it dwindles. This is usually keyed to the unification of the country under a strong ruler or to dissolution and infighting.

Actually it is keyed to whether there is a Rhola or Neheli king, as part of a plot by the Silent Ones to control the growth of the Kingdom. The Rhola expand, the Neheli consolidate. Things got quirky after Tavish the Great.

Quote:
    The Shining Horde makes me cringe slightly, as do most things that more than vaguely hint at resembling anything having a basis in real world history.

Yes, but based on one of the most obscure groups ever!

Quote:
    The Iuz/Mak alliance seems odd, mainly due to the Scarlet Brotherhood influence in the Pomarj, but then again an opportunity to crush the central powers of Weal might just be too tempting.

Again, its supposed to look odd. Iuz gets set up on that one.

Quote:
    P.S.: BLOODY HERETIC!!! Wink

Jealousy is such an ugly thing.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: